Hydrasynth from ASM

A little sound exploration of evil and broken timbres on one note.

14 Likes

Sounds like it’s escaping into another dimension, but being pulled back into this one at the same time! Awesome!!

3 Likes

i love inharmonic spectra

9 Likes

Those are amazing! How about a little tutorial like the Syntakt one on a popular German gear online platform? I would appreciate it a lot.

Considering to buy the Hydrasynth here and I have seen / listened to several of your journeys into the distorted and broken dimensions of the synth. Really love the sound and wondering if it is hard to do.

1 Like

Do you still need an Aodyo Anyma Omega ( :rofl:)? This sounds like Physical Modelling/Karplus Strong synthesis. Very very cool!

1 Like

Hehe, well … the Opsix is even better for those kind of sounds than the Hydra, like Korg OPSIX - #846 by Jeanne … but neither are multitimbral and I want …

ed650245-7963-47b4-8201-5a2f8082aa84_text

2 Likes

Surprised you haven’t ordered a Virus at some point. Or a Blofeld.

I believe the Blofeld is awesome, but the interface looks no fun / Virus - no endless encoders - hard pass … :wink: I’d rather get a second Opsix if I had the space.

I have a question for all the Hydrasynth owners out there. Is it possible to have waves at different pitches in the wavetable? Like if I want a wavetable of sine waves of different octaves or ratios or something like that. Is that at all possible? I am interested in doing FM like the digitone, but with the ratios being different waves on a morphable wavetable.

I’m not sure what you are looking for but there’s not a pitch setting in the wave list.

There are I think harmonic sine waves in there but you can also modulate the oscillator pitch as you modulate the wave list.

That said if these are all sine waves I don’t see why you’d even use the wave list as you could probably just fiddle with ratios in the mutant to achieve similar effects.

1 Like

I am looking for an effect where the ratios smoothly fade from one to the other, rather than the hard switches like you get on digitone and most other FM synths.

You can see the ratio and other stuff being fiddled with live on the knobs here:

Which may or may not be the effect you are going for

3 Likes

That’s not quite what I am after, That is actually detuning the modulator itself, you can do the same thing on digitone with the detune parameter as well as the oscillator offsets. I am looking for a smooth wavetable that contains sine waves of each ratio of the harmonic series. So if the hydrasynth has sine waves of different harmonics that you can build a wavetable out of, it can do what I am after. Also just generally speaking I think the sound of fading between two pitches of the same oscillator waveshape sounds really good, especially with octave or ratio relationships. You can kind of get the sound of the different harmonics you can get out of physical instruments. Like Pinch harmonics on a guitar getting a good squeal.

There’s also a harmonic mutator that emphasizes/deemphasizes particular harmonics in a waveform but again I don’t know how well it’ll get to your desired goal.

I suspect if it doesn’t do exactly what you are looking for, there’s probably enough tools that will get you pretty close.

Edit: If you hold shift while rotating the first wave to Harm 1, it’ll fill in all the rest with the waves in sequence.

2 Likes

There is at least one wavetable that had multiple octaves built in. I think it is indeed built out of sinewaves. Not sure, don’t have my HS anymore…

1 Like

That’s the default mode (I love it! I don’t want to be harassed by the harmonic series when creating sounds like I am on the Opsix and the Digitone), just the knob feels a bit steppy.
For it to being smooth, you just need to assign an LFO.

If you mean blending fixed ratios (and the inbetween fractional ratios not appearing), there’s a mutator that creates overtones = those ratios. And I believe there’s a wavtable branch that has overtones = ratios (not octaves). Let me take a look quick …

Edit 1: Mutator is Harmonic
Edit 2: Wavetable is Harmon

Edit: Harmon Wavetable, then Harmon Wavetable with FM. (Massive Reverb because I forgot to Init.)

3 Likes

Try knob speed set to slow. I find the default makes it harder to do smaller adjustments and knob acceleration is fairly aggressive.

3 Likes

Thxxxxx, I like things fast and furious though :wink: If needed, I use the shift button

First time I’ve seen Glenn Darcey in action. I get what he’s saying but I cut my FM teeth on a TX81Z without a manual and I like my fixed algorithms. No Lately Bass preset, fuhgeddaboutit.

I guess conceptually if you had sync’d step lfo’s, one stepping through the wavetable waves and one assigned to the oscillator pitch and you either tuned by ear or converted the ratios into cents?

1 Like