Korg OPSIX

Yo!
The conversion kit project is live! About halfway funded already, and I think it’s only been up an hour.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loglow/desktop-conversion-kit-for-wavestate-opsix-modwave?ref=thanks-copy

They’ve also made a new video.

9 Likes

It looks so good.

2 Likes

Kind of wish they’d shown the heatsink / lead trimming process in the video, but I trust it’s not too arduous.

The finished conversion really does look great in the pictures, and I imagine it will look even better in person given the materials. I’m glad Tall Dog made the call to replace the heatsink to make the case thinner; assuming it was another half inch or something it’s absolutely worth it. I’ll definitely have to back/buy one once I have a job again.

Edit: They just hit their funding goal!

2 Likes

That’s actually pretty dope, and they even have a VESA mount.

How dope would it be if they did the same thing for the Nord 3P.

2 Likes

Really hope Korg and other manufacturers are paying attention here. Korg truly fumbled the Opsix/Modwave/Wavestate lines by not treating them the way ASM released FOUR formats of the Hydrasynth. Hell even Modal got it right with Cobalt/Argon.

1 Like

Maybe timing was bad for Korg too. Pandemic and chip shortage may have messed them up, but some competition was able to pull it off.

Who knows, there might be a refinement or module in the future, but for now I’m smitten with the Opsix. Can’t wait to customize it and make a little space for a T-1 or something on my desk.

Those are nice. Great update recently too. I was pretty tempted by the Cobalt M before the Opsix got that big discount/discontinuation. I’m more of an FM junkie anyway.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know! I just pledged and there are only like 34 spots left. It did say the project is now 125% funded, which is great.

I was actually thinking of selling my Opsix due to space constraints, but this is perfect. I love the synth, but it’s just kind of big for my desk

1 Like

It looks like they started the count again after those were all filled, because it still seems available. It’s pretty cool that Tall Dog already got about twice the target.

I like how they crowd-fund the production run and not the research/development. Some Kickstarter campaigns are for RnD and then they realize the product has problems or can’t be made, but in this case the product is ready to rock and the crowdfunding is just for the production run. Pretty smart!

3 Likes

I like that plan too. This is the first Kickstarter thing I’ve ever backed.

1 Like

I backed a project years ago, like maybe in 2011 or 2012. It was a single-board computer with an interesting parallel co-processing chip – basically like a raspberry pi with more processing power, and before the raspberry pi existed. It took almost two years for the thing to arrive and I got a crappy prototype that almost caught on fire. Haha! That thing was still under development when I backed it, which is totally not the case here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Backed it for my wavestate, super excited about this!

3 Likes

Yesterday at New an England Synthfest I saw another prototype build of this enclosure with the metal body and it looks and feels super nice. Easier access to ports, thinner, and shorter. There was even a monitor arm with multiple Korgs attached, using the bracket that connects two enclosures. I should have taken a picture, sorry about that.

1 Like

22 hours left, E-Mail said “We do plan to continue selling kits outside of the campaign, but the price will need to be significantly higher, probably starting at around $209”.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loglow/desktop-conversion-kit-for-wavestate-opsix-modwave

5 Likes

Thank you for the reminder! Ordered.

Anyone having problems with the Opsix synced to an external sequencer?

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125480

I have to admit, as an admirer of Steve Reich compositions, I like how it drifts out of phase

Sorry no haven’t tried syncing mine. If I run into this problem using it with MPC One, I’ll probably just sample it into MPC One and edit the sample to play in sync if I need to.

I’m more likely to sequence it directly from the MPC, 707, or even M8 actually. The onboard sequencer is ok for trying out ideas, but probably best suited for being a modulation source, while a more capable sequencer triggers it over MIDI for playing its parts in a song.

5 Likes

Tried this in a store.

It’s quite quick to get nice results?

I was left wondering - why couldn’t one change an operator from carrier to modulator freely; the algorithm approach seems to hinder the opsix a bit, needlessly.

2 Likes
  1. There’s a precedent/history of using “algorithm” routings in earlier FM synths, so it’s a familiar paradigm.
  2. If you change a carrier into a modulator, you would still need to specify which carrier it modulates. The algorithm specifies how every modulator is routed its carrier, you can’t just have a dangling modulator.
  3. You can set the algorithm in the Virtual Patch, so you could change the algorithm in response to one of the inputs. I’ve never tried it, but maybe you could even use one of the specific notes on the keyboard to choose an algorithm?
4 Likes

Hehe, thanks for the thorough response. PEBCAK, it seems :smiley: It really surprised me how quick the whole thing seemed – any major workflow quibbles?

1 Like

I think there is a “free” algorithm too where you can make anything connect to anything else. That may be what you want. I’d check, but I’m almost exactly on the opposite side of the world from my OPSIX at the moment.

3 Likes