Introducing the e25 Remix Edition

I caved in and ordered an e25 Syntakt. The Syntakt is the only piece of Elektron gear I own right now and it is my favorite Elektron piece so far.

I’m not sure if I’m going to keep the Syntakt I currently have or if I’m going to even open up the e25 Syntakt when it arrives yet.

Technically Fors did – but yeah, I felt like I should at least get the Digitone, and then it snowballed. We have a low-key vision of building a synth library for lending in the future, so these are not only cool (and in some way “legacy”) pieces to have but I hope will serve some good. :slight_smile:

Sidenote, I really like the SY Bits machine.

51 Likes

Were you around to witness any of the development of toy, bits, swarm, vintage cp or vintage snare?

Yes, i remember the funeral! That was the moment i bought MdUW and Mnm. They were great, better than i thought they’ll be but after 4-5 yrs i got scared that Elektron won’t be able to repair them later on so i sold them in mint condition for good moneyz (Mnm for 3500 euros and MdUW for 2900 euros) and i still regret it soon after! :frowning:

1 Like

Was it really him?! wow what a brilliant designer!
thnx for the info

Yep!

Lots more info from Kouthoofd himself: Teenage Engineering OP-1 - #811 by PeterHanes

Worth a read!

“ Around 1999/2000 I was doing the final work on the MonoMachine and had daily discussions with Daniel Hansson about what machine to do next. I told Daniel about my dream of a machine I have sketched on, based on the Roland SH-101 but in a pocket format. Daniel loved the idea, but was concerned about the battery power and the overall performance of a machine in that size. Remember that this was 10 years ago, and the technology wasn’t quite there yet. So he told me to continue to sketch up a concept, but keep it more or less outside Elektron.

Anyway, I started to work on the machine as a side project. (Daniel and the Elektron team had another vision about a more live / dj sampling machine (UW that later bacame the Octatrack I guess) I did a lot of sketches of the functionality and renderings. And finally Daniel called me one day and said Elektron had a collaboration with Evolution to make a portable machine / controller. As you might guessed, when we presented the stuff, they thought we were insane and rejected all of it. It was too expensive. Impossible to manufacture, no clear target group etc. That could have been the end of story, but it wasn’t.

As some of you know a tragic incident happend a few years later. In 2007 Daniel died in a car accident. He was one of my best friends and it was a great loss. He had called me just a couple of weeks before and wanted to show me a sketch of a new machine he had been working on for some time. (I don’t know what he had in mind, but I guess the Octatrack is in a close direction, even if I know there’s at least one other great talent behind that machine.)

At that time me and some friends had just started Teenage Engineering. I was still doing some work for Elektron, but when Daniel passed away, it wasn’t just the same for me and I guess Elektron also wanted move on and build a strong team in Gotheburg, which I think was right. So the opportunity the make a portable machine was more or less gone”

13 Likes

Human being is very weird

When these machines were released nobody cared about them specially the monomachines

1 Like

That is mostly FOMO I guess…
I for instance have owned both Machinedrum and Monomachine and I’m not missing them, I’m just so much happier now with analog mkII’s.

You got both analog?

How do you like them?

They are incredible to me, especially the A4. But the AR when pushed outside of his comfort zone starts to shine too.

2 Likes

A bit bold to say no one cared about the machines. They were held in high regard when still available and sold well enough to warrant revisions and a 15 year lifespan. A product does not last 15 years on the market if there’s no interest in it, and it especially doesn’t get a hardware revision as that costs R&D moneys.

I do agree that the desire for them has grown since the discontinuation, but that also has to do with new generations discovering them.

When the silver boxes were released it was a very different time and landscape. You could buy a 909 for almost the same price or even cheaper.

It’s not just the old Elektrons btw, a lot of older and unavailable digital gear has become very sought after.

10 Likes

I wanted them when I discovered them in the early 2010s, but I was very poor at the time. I knew a few others in the same situation.

2 Likes

So what does the mixtape B section mean in the picture in the right? Is it a reference to the the next elektron granular synth engine according to the rumours?

i do like the faceplate and looking at it got me thinking: this could be a way from Elektron to get people used to the silver style again, so that they’ll be ready for when the next generation of MM and MD will see the light of day, again! :laughing:
happy anniversary :champagne: :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

sort of coated white-ish color would look nice too actually, wouldn’t mind :smile_cat:

3 Likes

I did the 1.51/1.41 firmware upgrade on both the DT and DN but the hotkey aspect doesn’t seem to work on the DT?

Maybe every 1-in-20 [SETTINGS] + [TRIG 9] works for the LED backlight and I don’t get the brightness options on [TRIG 1-3] at all? The [SETTINGS] key works fine otherwise, so it’s not an issue with the key itself?

It all works fine and as described on the DN though.

Not really a big issue as the options are still accessible via the menu. but I figured I’d ask.

Are you holding down the [SETTINGS] key for a second or two before the [TRIG]s?
For example, hold down [SETTINGS] until the [1-3] and [9] [TRIG]s light up before pressing?

3 Likes

Yeah, you have to hold settings key down for a second. Threw me off at first

1 Like

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Octatrack Black and other Elektrons - Made in Poland?

Back to the festivities! How about those anniversary os updates!:upside_down_face:

1 Like