Introducing Syntakt

nice unit. so after reading and listening to sound examples it looks like pimped up machinedrum. i am obviously oversimplifying but to me it is how i see it. or am i missing something?

i guess its the sampling of the UW machines that are missing… but maybe theres a possibility of a future UW update since syntakt seems to have a 1gb +drive just sitting there…

maybe a granular sample engine as well… dang that would fly this machine to the moon!

4 Likes

Oh? That’s interesting…

I know wiser people than me will say we buy the machine for what it does now …. But UW / Granular would be awesome and make the price level more logical … past experience with elektron post launch surprises has me hoping

+The quasi physical modelled sounds are very interesting; this machine could be a superb rhythmic timbre box

4 Likes

It’ll be interesting when someone opens it up bc I’ve seen alternate ideas posited about the memory.
Has anyone confirmed a 1gb drive yet?

Certainly one elektron engineer when asked how much memory replied “not a lot”.

1 Like

I’ve been reading a lot of FM material lately and been wondering how to make an algorithm with a granular-like modulator algorithm.
I wonder if the ST has an algo that could pull that off?

edit: WARNING. No one should ever get into reading FM theory/application texts.

3 Likes

:laughing:

:joy: back when I was 16 or whatever and decided a FS1r would make a great first piece of hardware (what a dip shit I was!) I tried to do exactly that and understand FM. A gigantic nope.

Resorting to mass aimless knob tweaking worked far better!

4 Likes

I just face palmed.
Imagine if the DN or Korg Op 6 was around back then.

2 Likes

I see that the audio input level is a modulation destination for the FX track LFO. Can this be used to create a good sidechaining effect for stereo audio routed through the inputs?

its offtopic anyway, but just saying that the power of sound the FS1R was able to produce with light saturation - the DN does not come close to this - at least in my memories :wink: The FS1R had such a strong E-Piano sound (for example) and some great fx … phaser, flanger, …

1 Like

I believe that answer was about RAM, which is volatile working memory, and not about the non-volatile +Drive.

6 Likes

I have absolutely seen comments on Make Noise YouTube videos saying exactly this - complaining about the lack of polyphony in a modular system. Go figure.

Also the Syntakt has 12 voices, which by definition is polyphony. All drum machines are polyphonic in that regard. I’m not sure what people are expecting - to plug in a midi keyboard and be able to play chords with a single snare drum machine?

I guess there could be some voice allocation options that could allow for something like this using multiple machines across midi channels but that clearly isn’t what the Syntakt is designed to do. It’s a drum machine! Plus Elektron gave users the chord machine so that they could make more traditional polyphonic sequences that way.

4 Likes

The what now?

If so that’s very telling.

Not really. All units need some storage, and why not use the storage- and RAM-chips they already are familiar with, considering how cheap storage is these days. Makes no sense to actively seek out smaller storage specifically for ST.

2 Likes

1GB tho.

Fo real doe

1 Like

Which is practically nothing. My laptop has 256 times that amount.

1 Like

This seems more interesting in description than implementation, but you might try mixing AM and FM, i.e. use some ops for amplitude. I’m assuming free control over routing, though - it’d be a lot more awkward with hard-wired algos.