Introducing Syntakt

its offtopic anyway, but just saying that the power of sound the FS1R was able to produce with light saturation - the DN does not come close to this - at least in my memories :wink: The FS1R had such a strong E-Piano sound (for example) and some great fx ā€¦ phaser, flanger, ā€¦

1 Like

I believe that answer was about RAM, which is volatile working memory, and not about the non-volatile +Drive.

6 Likes

I have absolutely seen comments on Make Noise YouTube videos saying exactly this - complaining about the lack of polyphony in a modular system. Go figure.

Also the Syntakt has 12 voices, which by definition is polyphony. All drum machines are polyphonic in that regard. Iā€™m not sure what people are expecting - to plug in a midi keyboard and be able to play chords with a single snare drum machine?

I guess there could be some voice allocation options that could allow for something like this using multiple machines across midi channels but that clearly isnā€™t what the Syntakt is designed to do. Itā€™s a drum machine! Plus Elektron gave users the chord machine so that they could make more traditional polyphonic sequences that way.

4 Likes

The what now?

If so thatā€™s very telling.

Not really. All units need some storage, and why not use the storage- and RAM-chips they already are familiar with, considering how cheap storage is these days. Makes no sense to actively seek out smaller storage specifically for ST.

2 Likes

1GB tho.

Fo real doe

1 Like

Which is practically nothing. My laptop has 256 times that amount.

1 Like

This seems more interesting in description than implementation, but you might try mixing AM and FM, i.e. use some ops for amplitude. Iā€™m assuming free control over routing, though - itā€™d be a lot more awkward with hard-wired algos.

Point is, 1GB is plenty of room for a lot of one shot drum samples.

3 Likes

Exactly.

Like a whole DTā€™s worth.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true, but my point was that the mere presence of a 1GB drive is no telltale sign that they are planning something in regards to samples. They just needed some storage, so they probably used the cheap-ass 1GB chips they already know.

4 Likes

Yeah probably.

They donā€™t mention the +Drive capacity when talking about the Model:Cycles, Analog Four, or Digitone, because thereā€™s no way to fill it. But I bet itā€™s the same 1GB in all of them.

5 Likes

yea digitone has 1Gb too I fink.

+Drive is mentioned in both the A4 and DN manuals. It is where saved sounds and projects live. Maybe the capacity isnā€™t explicitly mentioned, but I still donā€™t think this means anything. Donā€™t underestimate the existence of coincidences in the text and wording in the manuals.

1 Like

This can indeed be used to have a pseudo sidechain effect with the LFO indeed.

2 Likes

I think we agreeā€¦?

To me, thatā€™s one of the coolest things about the ST (that the RYTM canā€™t do with its audio inputs). The analog FX could still be utilized in conjunction with this.

Probably :slight_smile: