Machines overlap

@AdamJay was saying that the dvco is tracking better

2 Likes

The Modern Kick sounds very similar, if not the same, as the Cycles kick, same with the the basic Snare, Carbon, Alloy, Tone, and Chord.

2 Likes

The six machines from Cycles are on Syntakt, main difference is the overdrive (+ you have two filters and a controllable amp envelope). Besides that, we made 4 new machines (sd vintage, cp vintage, sy bits, sy toy).
The analog machines are all from rytm, however there are differences in the circuit design and the FW implementation, so it is not identical.

28 Likes

Correct.
Maybe new waveforms?

5 Likes

Actually, having listened to loopop’s vid again, I think you’re right. Doesn’t sound like the m:c’s sweep ?

Awesome job on this! Based on the demos it appears like the pitch envelops of the analog machines are improved? Hoping this is the firmware improvement you mentioned. Do you think some of these firmware improvements will be coming to Rytm in an update?

The dvco tracks significantly better than the rytm mk2 I had. Really enamored with the dvco in the syntakt. It sounds incredible.

3 Likes

To be honest, I don’t know… We have just tried to make Syntakt as good as we possible could…
Firmware and hardware goes “hand in hand” in these products, that’s where the differences comes from.

18 Likes

Probably the same answer as above but any chance we may see the new digital machines on the Cycles? That would be a nice gift

5 Likes

Speaking on hardware, any idea what kind of ram memory this unit has?

not a lot :rofl:

10 Likes

Yeah, I can’t really say anything about that, sorry! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I keep seeing ppl asking for UW machines but I was guessing it’s probably not on the roadmap and your answer mostly confirms my suspicion.

I guess that probably means the wishes for a sample playback machine will not be fulfilled.

Stupid question but maybe an option for the future - if Syntakt and Model:Cycles share the same machines and obviously the same sequencer, would it be technically possible for the Syntakt to load the Cycles’ patterns?

I already did a sysex backup before I sold it, just in case… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I might be wrong here, but even if the basic code behind the engines is the same (the sound generation part), M:C and ST seem to send different parameters in, as there are more/less/different options to change on both devices. And I tend to believe, that the Patches are stored as “Save the values of the macro-Knobs, the devices have” instead of "saving the core-parameters of the underlying synth-engine. Would be cool, if its different, but it would take up way more space to do so, instead of saving just a few macro-values.
On Top of that, they won’t sound the same, as everything behind the pure sound-generation is different (different Filter, different envelopes, different way how the sound is overdriven with the Volume+Dist knob).

I will get my Syntakt today, if nothing breaks the delivery car or its driver. We might be able to test that, if you would provide me (or anyone else with a Syntakt) one of your export-files.

1 Like

I don’t think (or expect) that Syntakt simply loads M:Cycles sysex but maybe Elektron could have a little online converter - from reading the manual I’m pretty sure the parameters of the six machines are the same as their counterparts on the Cycles, but extended. Sure, there is an additional Amp envelope and a filter but I’m guessing that if you don’t use those, the machines should sound pretty much the same.

Pure speculation of course, I don’t even own a Syntakt (yet).

1 Like

The guy who wrote Tensor for iOS knows a lot about M:C sysexes. I wonder if he will get involved in the Syntakt and provide 3rd party utilities ?

1 Like

I don’t think it is possible atm, but make a feature request :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d also be interested in that. I really like the Cycles and the Syntakt seems like a bigger blown out version.

1 Like