Introducing Octatrack MKII

yea i don’t mind whats its called, a performance sampler/sequencer with 96khz and plenty of memory to replace my old OT.

And it might not even be called Elektron.

I always love the surprises from Elektron though.

I think the trig conditions will definitely come, but maybe that’s it. The guys were quick to put out noise around OB but nothing has been stated about the probability modes, which leads one to believe it’s in the pipeline.

yes forgot about multicopy/paste. and also copying patterns around without having to jump into them - that’s another huge innovation after the OT’s sequencer. these 2 in addition to conditional trigs and multi-step parameter locking are the key developments for me. dgaf about overbridge, especially on a product like the octa which frees you from the DAW. sigh

2 Likes

Has the crossfader been also changed on MKII really?

Well that’s what they are claiming. The original fader was not of the contactless variety.

Just wish the xfader curves were adjustable without spending LFOs… Seems like an oversight in the original design IMO. But then again, the “DJ mixer” implementation also feels like an afterthought. Improvement in either areas would be appreciated, but not really holding my breath.

1 Like

Why isn’t the crossfader on MKI contactless? That’s an infra based stuff.

hmm, just checked the infinium and it’s also a contactless design indeed. So it’s possible that the xfader is still the same, infiniums are dirt cheap these days (even behringer makes em!). Maybe marketing just worded the spec sheet differently from the mk I spec sheet…?

MkI crossfader seems contactless too.
For the curve, did you experiment XLVL+XVOL+VOL(+63)+Compressor = Hard Curve ! (Maybe you have to choose between XLVL and XVOL, not sure in the toilets).

4 Likes

thanks for the tip, will give this a try! Crabbing and two-click flaring is pretty much impossible with the default curve, so this is kinda important to me.

sheer poetry

2 Likes

My inner gas demon is now making a sound economic argument not to buy an OT mk 2 to replace my mk 1; and instead to keep the mk 1 and buy a DT instead.

Cuckoos OT vs DT video superbly illustrated how different and dedicated the DT is: its lack of OT complexity making it so much more of an instant groove machine. dammit!

2 Likes

Agree 100%. Cuckoo’s video has me GASing like mad, posted a few items on the for sale boards in advance of leaping on the DT train.

I though about a second MKI first, now with DT release I think it can be totally complementary.

:smile: Lack of OT incredible possibilities.

Possible with proper settings ! There are threads about this, maybe we can discuss about it there.:wink:

Ummm … that fricken OTmkII is kind of really sexy, for want of a more accurate descriptor.

It’s something i dared not hope for.

And yet, here it is. Theoretically.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Degrading banter from OTMK2 Intro thread

Exactly. I love my mk I, but I’ll surely get a mkII, as I’m pretty certain I’ll enjoy the better workflow with the extra buttons; I use parts and pickup machines all the time. The new hardware does look much better than the mk I. Also, an mkII implies continuing support for the platform. I don’t need/expect new features (other than the new features of better hardware and more buttons) as the OT works as is for me.

In my mind, this signals Elektron users that the OT will continue to be supported and that Elektron isn’t spending time trying to quickly get a comprehensive hardware sampler with OB to market before they take care of other concerns with their current products.

I believe the DT is the one elektron wants you to use in the meantime, it has most of the things that the OT lacks that people often wish for (easier to use/less menu diving, ob, conditrigs, no parts)

I keep forgetting about the increased headroom on the new inputs. I think this could with help the spikey input from my tanbur a lot.

Who sucks the most ? :sketchy::content:
We have to beat “Introducing Digitakt” remember !

1 Like