I mean the first skill require by a forum member is :
Tolerate what everyone thinks

The basic rule of sharing “point of views” on a forum is :
Share something interesting and if possible with arguments

Otherwise simply don’t post

6 Likes

Truly, there’s a lot of amazingly beautiful souls out there… :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

And yet, I must admit - my attempt to describe the design of the Octatrack as “sexy” is almost a tortology. Like an abstract remix of the classic Simpson’s line: “My cat’s breath smells like cat food!”.

By its nature of having been designed by Elektron, it is sexy by definition. I mean really, look at them all. Every single unit, totally rocking design. Kind of goes without saying. Yes, is sexy, but it’s too obvious to be mentioned.

1 Like

Just buy the new one mate, you’ve earned it. Besides, I can tell by the signs, you’re too deep in, gasping for mk1 air.

Muahahhaha :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I hope Elektron clears up some of the questions posed here. I was leaning towards an MPC Live but I love the elektron sequencer. This new MK2 looks so beautiful it made me watch several Cuckoo and Dataline vids until I realized how foolish I was for not owning this already. If they confirm OS bug fixes and continued support…I’m in! If they don’t, Im probably still in :slight_smile:

Anyone know a USA retailer taking preorders yet?

1 Like

Mark Mosher has taken a deeper look at the differences between MKI and MKII:

10 Likes

Thanks for that! I actually missed the SRC3 leds of the mk II before. Now we finally have a way to have led metering for the master out.

2 Likes

It might have been asked but I just couldnt read the whole thread.
As the mk2 seems to be more or less like the mk1 is there any confirmed information that there are updates to be expected that might work on mk1 as well?
Transient dependent slicing or a proper program change function when sequencing midi would be things I would be quite happy about for example or is mk1 completely unsupported now?

My theory is that adding new buttons should be accompanied with slight changes in the OS.
As mk1 capacities were said to be maxed out and mk2 being for now only hardware change, I would guess there were changes in memory capacities.
Or I wish there were.
The day OT receives cond trigs might not be very far, but it might be mk2 only, the way sampling was MD UW only…

Tempted very tempted but nope, I’m keeping DT, loving it, and I wonder if there’s not something else brewing!

2 Likes

Several reliable posts in this thread and others state the MK1 and Mk2 will use the same OS so it is fair to assume that both the old and new units will get updated together (if they get updated at all)

Hopefully the new Mk2 will inspire electron to make an update (to accommodate the new buttons?) that will also add features to the MK1 so we all win :slight_smile:

This will obviously be the case when the A4 and RYTM come out with the new style ‘case’, there is realy nothing to be worried or excited about!

Possible : Fully compatible with Octatrack MKI projects/data
Doesn’t mean the other way around :slight_smile:

But i don’t know and we probably know more soon enough

If that article is 100% correct in its assumptions, the OSes of mk I & mk II will remain identical’ and you can use your projects in either just by inserting the memory card to any mk I or mk II unit.

In light of this, I would not expect much new stuff… Some bugfixes is the most to hope for at this point.

Then again, if elektron is not being 100% open about their intentions etc… “subject to change without notice”

this is possibly the most awesome thing about the new release. A subtle change, and yet incredibly useful.

4 Likes

The Mki has a single metering LED for SRC3 stuff, so it may well be more useful in that there are two, but it may not necessarily be more than that, I’m guessing it could be possible … but keep this in mind each track has its own SRC3, so what LEDS should it show ? I wouldn’t take it as a given that it will be any more functional than present (besides being both channels rather than summed)

4 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. Since SRC3 is configurable, you can basically monitor anything with the leds. IMO this, while being a bit more error prone, is ideal, akin to a PFL meter-style checking with a mixer.

4 Likes

Seems to me it’s both an engineering and a product decision whether to fork the codes, or to detect the hardware and have two in one (like on the A4 and AK). If the internals diverge too far or you are trying to keep code size down, or for various other reasons, engineering could decide to fork. (With the product team usually having veto power over engineering.)

[Some companies could also decide, on a marketing basis to have a Mk I and Mk II software features diverging to drive sales. I am fairly certain Elektron is not that sort of company. I would have loved to have been a ‘fly on the wall’ listening in on the meetings during the concept design phase of the Mk II. The Overbridge vs No-Overbridge question certainly got some discussion.]

1 Like

It should be noted that them saying both boxes have the same firmware/OS doesn’t mean that there won’t be updates.

3 Likes

Exactly :slight_smile:
And btw cond trigs on OT mk2 is not something that has been publicly denied, to my knowledge :wink:

8 Likes

:cb_m::cb_o::cb_r::cb_e::heat: