Introducing Octatrack MKII

I would like to hope Elektron are hiding something new, but in this case i just dont think it is realistic to hope for such. If it had a new CPU, i think they would already announce this. Just my feeling on it.

1 Like

Only ordered a MK1 recently and still in the 30 day money back window Thomann offer. Hard choice as I definitely prefer the look of the MK1 but the slim chances of the MK2 having a new CPU plus the better build quality and more headroom have me strongly considering sending the MK1 back while I can.

Anyone else in the same position as myself?

I think the CPU upgrade chance is very small at best, to me personally it is no chance. Simon has indicated it is a mechanical upgrade only. This suggests to me that the primary circuitry including ram and cpu remains the same.
It really depends what you are paying for Mk1. if it is a 300 - 500 dollar difference, then this might make the decision easier as you could then use that money in something else i.e. heat, digitakt or some other brand gear to augment your OT.

i would say apart from the 4 or so additional buttons on Mk2, all OT future updates will apply to both Mk1 and Mk 2 as they use the same OS. Again that is just my interpretation of what information has been provided.

1 Like

The usability of the mk1 sucks, welll… Lets say I dont like the usability
The mk2 has Some improvement

I would definitely go for that mk2

1 Like

I would guess the CPU is the same, given that Elektron has said that this is just a mechanical upgrade. Additionally, software for devices like this is often coded for the specific CPU and DSP chips that the hardware is using, so porting it to new hardware is likely non-trivial.

The OLED screen and higher precision encoders are probably both considerably more expensive than what they’re replacing, while the CPU and DSP may not actually be much cheaper than they were when the Octatrack initially came out.

Of course, Elektron is also trying to make money and they know that the Octatrack is kind of unique. There’s some overlap with MPCs and with other Elektron boxes but it’s still its own animal.

1 Like

I don’t think the usability of mk1 sucks at all. There is a learning curve for sure, but it’s a curve that is constantly rewarding. The more time you put it the more the machine surprises. Plus the shortcuts that appear will be present in Mk2 workflow are not that a big deal imo.
Once you know how OT works you can be pretty quick using it. Of course if I were buying now I’d probably hold on and get the mk2, but again that depends on how much mk1’s were going for.

2 Likes

yes but 50 MEELLION PRESSES! cant top that

1 Like

It is rated at that. Does not mean it wont fail sooner due to defects. It does not guarantee you defect free devices. It does reduce the chance of defects and gives you more peace of mind.

For existing users it could be a great reason to buy a second one :wink:

This would be one of the best things to add, but imho it would be a case of very diminishing returns to put significant effort into trying to further maximise its feature set, if there’s even scope/room … it may be one of the things that could be easy or extremely complicated, but it’s still yesterday’s tech and OS, they will spend the least amount of time on that as possible, things have moved on

I honestly think it’s wishful thinking to look for significant changes, even if the processor was better, I just don’t see them investing time in that, they’ll be working on another product, with OB, and based on their later code … imho they have a unique, popular, deep device, it’s merely getting a new lick of paint before its eventual replacement(s) comes along

I also suspect that it will always run the same firmware as the MKi which would be telling, we’ll see soon enough … As ever, you can never know, but they’ve been pretty clear about this … people will dream, but this seems pretty unambiguous to me … it’s good for MKi owners, we will get good bug support for a while now… MKii owners know exactly what they are getting (no roadmap) and that it’s safe to get one, there’s no OT2 any time soon

3 Likes

yeah I tried to be funny there, apologies

1 Like

Yer maybe the old units are rated at 49.9 million presses :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m happy they did a hardware update and just to know the OT is going to be around/supported/available for a bit longer. Plus it makes me hopeful for bug fixes.

It’s an improvement in the looks dept, but not quite up to MM MD attractiveness.

Would have liked the CF card in a sealed compartment.

Durable buttons = nice (if they ship with the buttons in the right places…)

But - the price difference!

I admit the price diff is insane, especially right now when you can get a mk I OT for quite easily 2nd hand (maybe even clearout discounts around?). Had I not been able to secure an installment payment for my mk II, I doubt I would have upgraded tbh

1 Like

I paid the same price (US) new for an OT mk I one year ago that the OT mk II is going for now. But maybe it’s more of a difference in Europe :wink:

A new silvery metal Elektron sampler/brainbox would have me selling everything to buy it. It would be great if they returned to those more raw design styles.

Lets hope for a OT2 in 2018, i would love 96khz sample rate and much more memory and hopefully more inputs :slight_smile:

The OT Mk2 will probably mean lifecycle extended possible another three years or thereabouts. My guess is no OT2 until lifecycle ends, or we will see OT2 type functionality in different, innovative boxes.

2 Likes

As Cosmic said,

and there may never be a follow on OT2. Just on to something else entirely that has OT features and other stuff. A DT+?

1 Like

If I was in the market for an OT, I definitely would buy the MKII. It looks ready for war.

4 Likes