Introducing Model:Samples

woohoo! congrats. i knew it came with a sheet!!!

after doing all the drawing for the potential icons from the teaser video i feel obliged to buy one :slight_smile:

1 Like

The smaller sixteen step seq bottons is a nice move. The track buttons are nice and firm but not to firm , the track buttons reminds me of novation circuit and push2 buttons.
Yes The rest of the buttons are kind of spongy but not in a bad way. Just donā€™t start licking or chewing on themšŸ¤” but yes they are kind of like SPONGEBOB.

2 Likes

From the various demos Iā€™ve listened to, Iā€™m finding I prefer the less hyped sound of the M:S compared to the DTā€¦ hmm

1 Like

DT has hyped sound? :sweat_smile:

Audio is very subjective indeed.

1 Like

Subjectively, the high end sounds a bit more hyped on the DT to me than the M:S.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not only @Prints who hears the high frequency bump in the Digitakt.

4 Likes

ā€¦relative interpolation is a magic word hereā€¦

no money - but Iā€™m trying to persuade someone else to!

Iā€™d really like to see the ā€œChainsā€ functionality (8.13 described on page 30 of the manual) of the M:S improved so that ā€œChainsā€ can be saved. I really donā€™t understand why this data has to be so volatile :thinking:

4 Likes

And so it beginsā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a big proponent and practitioner of the ā€œJam/Cut/Sample/Composeā€ method of music-making. This little guy seems like a great machine for that. I think a lot of the grumpy folks around the forum are disappointed, and used to the ā€œfull boreā€ instruments, jam packed with bonus features but it seems Elektron is making a product for new players here.

Honestly when I saw it I was likeā€¦ ā€œyeah, I donā€™t need thatā€ but it does look REALLY easy to work with and tweak live. If I was in a more collaborative/live oriented project I would seriously consider it.

4 Likes

That was my feeling about it too. Especially after purchasing a digitakt. i was like, yeah Iā€™m not buying an MS, but damn does it look really quick and easy to work with. All i can think is man, I wish the DT was that simple and quick to use.

1 Like

The term hyped sound doesnā€™t equal frequency bump for me. Semantics I guess.

You didnā€™t include that nuance before. I agree the highs are more present in the DT but to call the sound hyped is not very fair imho. But maybe thatā€™s just my negative association with the term hyped sound.

1 Like

Apologies for the problematic semantics. Letā€™s move on.

2 Likes

I have a question. How does one handle mute groups on the M:S (i.e. closed hi-hat samples cutting off open hi-hat samples)?

The DT didnā€™t necessarily ā€œneedā€ this function due to having a workaround (using the ability to parameter lock different samples). But without this same ability, is the M:S even capable of any workarounds?

2 Likes

From reading the manual, no track linking / grouping / mute grouping is mentioned so I presume that feature is not available.

A work around would be to use a sample chain, since there is no sample lock capability.

It should be noted that chains in M:S will be easier to manage than chains in DT due to the removal of the decimal point sample start resolution (119.88 vs 120). Rytm chains are compatible, and since unlike Rytm, M:S has a sample ā€œlengthā€ parameter instead of sample ā€œendā€, the M:S should (on paper) have the smoothest handling of 120 segment Rytm/DT compatible sample chains.

3 Likes

I was also trying to think of ways to use round-robin samples with sample chains and a random LFO. It doesnā€™t appear like this would be possible for sample chains consisting of more than two samples. That is, unless you have a sample chain consisting of 120 round-robin samples.

1 Like

Solution is to buy both.DT to handle sampling and MS for playback --the two synced together would be the ultimate Electron sampling rig!

1 Like

Wellā€¦

:slight_smile:

1 Like