Anyone else feels a natural bump in the high frequencies from the Digitakt?

It’s really obvious, and started from the very first time i used it. I prepared samples to import, hats mostly, and once i got to monitor them in the digitakt there was a clear bump in the highs.
Now always have to do a micro low pass beforehand.

2 Likes

I hear some of it too.
I think it is what a lot of people hear and appreciate when describing the “hi fi” sound of the DT.

Personally, I prefer the OT’s more transparent sound. But can work with/around either.

yeah I have been listening to old tracks where I used the Octatrack mk1 for drums and they were soo punchy and clear. I sold my Rytm and have decided to buy an Octatrack mk2. Figure I will sample some of my eurorack percussion into Octatrack eg Plonk and Audio Damage Neuron. Can’t wait to get hands back on Octatrack, do miss it.

I had Digitakt for a while but decided I did’nt like mono.

I’ve been thinking the extra clarity/definition had something to do with the envelope slopes.

This is from the DT manual:

To me this gives the impression that they’ve employed some sort of dsp and/or eq…
Of course this is just my purely speculative opinion… :wink:

3 Likes

That. Makes. Sense.

However, all the more reason to hope a band pass filters coming soon- if so. This sound engine wakens a beast in need of taming on occasion. But in a good way(and also in a notsogood way)

1 Like

This could explain why I get so much joy out of the peaking filter of my Rytm.

I have been wondering what their secret sauce is. EQ? Some kind of clever compression? something else…? It certainly makes most things sound better, and it’s becoming a distinctive sound to me the more I use my DT.

yeah, my DT does something weird with lower freq. Not terrible, just a bit weird. I kind of wish it would not do that but who cares. Good to know it’s not only me…

1 Like

How weird ?

Don’t feel any problem in the lows myself

not too weird but you can still hear it. Try it out with some massive low-freq base or kick sounds. They will be little thinner in DT. My theory is that it is related with the overall nature of this instrument - bright character of DT sound.

Oh ok.
Maybe i don’t pay much attention to it or didn’t push the lows enough given my music style (rock), but the factory kick you get for every new project is quite hard on my speakers haha, never tried to compare before and after being processed in the machine.

1 Like

I don’t know you guys. This whole “hyped-EQ” hypothesis needs some data to back it up. I was playing with 808 kicks the other day, and thought to myself how nice, clear, and punchy they sounded; it didn’t cross my mind that they lacked any bass. I want to hear some official statements from Elektron regarding this matter, and/or see some comparisons with a a spectrum analyzer before jumping to conclusions.

9 Likes

I dont know about the bass since i dont really fiddle with them lows much in the digitakt, but the high frequency bump is definitely here, i know my headphones and my speakers like second nature and the difference is clearly there when it goes through the digidigi.

1 Like

Maybe the digital filters color the sound, and this attributes to what’s being heard. Personally, I use them very sparingly like EQs, but am very heavy-handed with the overdrive. I really like the overdrive, and how it retains/enhances frequencies. Are you noticing the natural bump before adding any effects or filter?

Yeah even as soon as i func+yes them in the sample section.

The overdrive is really satisfying indeed.

What I find strange is that there have been multiple OT/DT comparison videos where the majority of people said they perceived little or no differences besides more of a click in the transients of the DT. If there is a high frequency bump in the DT, you’d think it would’ve been immediately noticeable in those comparison vids.

Don’t forget to make sure your track has default settings. Whatever you are previewing with func+yes will play through whatever track you have selected.

that’s weird

O…k