Introducing Digitone

Digitone looks like candy, I want to eat it! :yum:

I love my Novation Peak. It just sounds great, pure, high-end. The effects are amazing. I think it will a good companion of the DN. The peak does not sound FMish. It has a very palette of sound and possibilities. Just a pity that itā€™s not multitimbral :frowning:

1 Like

thanks!

Thatā€™s why I didnā€™t purchase the Peak.:sleepy:

1 Like

I must admit, the Digi form factor is becoming more admirable especially now that I see the footprint of two of them side by sideā€¦

If in the future more Digis come along that tick the right boxes for my jam flow, I can see an awesome 3 box + midi keyboard, mic, and guitar live rigā€¦ Formidable yet portableā€¦
(Uh oh, my :elot: heard me and is looking at me funny :joy:)

3 Likes

I know! Iā€™m still not quite tempted enough for live stuff to replace the OT. It does just so much. But these new mini groove stations/sound design wormholes are impressive.

1 Like

I went and had a good talk with my :elot: and reassured it that Iā€™ll always be itā€™s trusty stewardā€¦ :joy:

3 Likes

Any idea about whether the MIDI tracks send arp notes?

Unfortunately it doesnā€™t seem to have one. Not clear in the manual.

5.3 ABOUT THE TRACKS
5.3.1 THE SYNTH TRACKS The Digitone has four synth tracks. Each synth track holds one Sound. The Sound contains the settings in the PARAMETER pages (SYN1, SYN2, FLTR, AMP, and LFO) together with the settings in the SOUND SETUP menu and the ARPEGGIATOR menu. Press one of the [TRACK 1ā€“4] keys to select which synth track to edit.

5.3.2 THE MIDI TRACKS The Digitone also has four MIDI tracks. They are used to control external MIDI equipped gear. Each MIDI track can trigger a chord of up to eight notes with adjustable parameters such as velocity and length, control pitch bend and aftertouch, as well as eight freely assignable MIDI control change parameters (MIDI CCs). For more information, please see ā€œ12. MIDI TRACK PARAMETERSā€ on page 49. A MIDI track can have any MIDI channel assigned to it, and several tracks can share the same channel. If several tracks are assigned to the same MIDI channel the track with the lowest number has priority regarding parameter conflicts. The MIDI tracks function almost the same way as the synth tracks. Parameter locks, LFO modulation, copy and paste commands are available. Each MIDI track also features micro timing, individual track length, and time signature settings. The main difference is that the MIDI tracks do not generate any sound and the sequencer data instead transmits through the MIDI OUT or USB ports. Press the [MIDI] key and then press one of the [TRACK 1ā€“4] keys to select which MIDI track to edit.

1 Like

Absolutely! Itā€™s just that Iā€™ve got reserve parking for an ultra compact modular set up, then Iā€™m maxed for live gear. At home, itā€™ll be a more mutable setup, so we will see :wink:

The DT did not excite me(thank god!) in the least. But an FM elektron box is too much. I want this so bad itā€™s ridiculous. Iā€™m actually contemplating selling eurorack. And I still need a decent mixer. But an FM synth with control all like on the machinedrumā€¦ Iā€™m droolingā€¦

1 Like

Good to know, thanks. Iā€™ve been lusting for the Peak as well. Choose a Virus instead for the multitimbrality.

From the sound demos of DN it sounds more than FM-ish.

I think Digitakt and Digitone are to expensive in EU (for me) , almost 800 eur.

When DT was coming out i had impression it will be more like 600, but not 800.

edit:

i am looking at thomann, if you guys have some better option for EU, can you please let me know?

1 Like

You enter notes for the MIDI tracks in the same way as you enter them for the synth tracks. If you want to add more than one note to a sequencer step, either use live recording or you can use grid recording and use either the track note method or the quick note method (10.2.3-4 in the manual).

Only one LFO for the MIDI tracks yes.

The arpeggiator settings are part of a Sound so the arpeggiator only available for the synth tracks. I will make this a bit more clear in the manual.

9 Likes

Ahh there it is, thanksā€¦

1 Like

I know I should buy Maschine MK3, but DN is so enticing.
I gave up on waiting for updates on the DT and sold itā€¦ but if they add the filters from the DN to the DT it will be hard to resist getting another DT. Got hard to control the bass freq at time on the DT

Do I get the MK3 and continue focusing on sampling as my primary sound source or do I move into synthesis as my main sound generating thingā€¦

Really after owning the DT, the though of a Plockable synth that can generate drum sounds has me excitedā€¦ and is digital (because thatā€™s my thing, I like weirdness in sound)

Someone above wisely suggested I buy the MK3 as itā€™s a good hub for the studio, but I think this and the Op1 being piped into Reason10 also would be pretty great. The new Grain synth in R10 combined with the DN would be make for some wild sonic adventures. I think ima do itā€¦ and if those DT updates ever come I have a nice spot on my desk for the DT

Digitone got a similar signal path to what A4 or AK has regarding how the filters, envelopes, lfo etc. are working.
I suspect that the flagship synth descendant of AK will be a device that has eight tracks and each track can have different machines (analog from A4 MKII, digital FM from Digitone and maybe a sampler from AR) and the signal path is built on the analog circuits (overdrive, filters etc.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digitone is now shipping

6 Likes

Looking good for chord entry!

10.2.3 GRID RECORDING USING TRACK NOTE METHOD
is goodā€¦ does the Chord knob do anything there? So instead of adding notes manually to create a chord on a step can we just turn the Chord knob (G) to choose from available chords on the current scale and root note?
Is there a way to adjust individual note velocities for each note on a step and add microtiming offsets to the notes to create strummed chords?? That would add so much musical potential in Grid Recording!!!

Also, please please add pentatonic scales!!

The DT is looking great !

1 Like