Introducing Digitakt

…Resulting in lots of wasted pattern slots on both machines, and wasted kits (unless mutes can be saved at the pattern level). I honestly think lack of song mode will hurt this product’s appeal more for the non-elektronauts crowd. For a band wanting to use this thing someone will need to hover over the machine for the entire song, manually changing patterns and controlling mutes instead of just being able to start the song and make occasional tweaks while playing other instruments. Song mode is so well designed on AK/AR, why not reuse the existing functionality on new devices? Makes even less sense when u consider DT has external MIDI tracks. Live performer is going to have their hands full juggling all these pattern changes that could easily have been automated. Really hoping they change course on that decision.

1 Like

As a live performer who uses 4 Elektrons and never uses song mode, I beg to differ.

We all have different needs, desires, and deal breakers.

For me, something that is immediate is most appealing.
Watching the crowd (and therefore reacting to the crowd) and listening to / getting a feel for how my patterns are evolving in real time is my “song mode”. Live or in the studio, I take it to the bridge when it feels right, not when the robot says it is time.

9 Likes

Sure, not saying it can’t be done. Just don’t see any good reason not to carry over pre-existing software functionality which could be very useful for a more traditional band setup, which elektron seems to be targeting with release of guitar pedals and an entry-level drum machine. Given the choice between controlling the arrangement on the fly, or having my hands free to play some parts live, I choose the latter. And having song mode allows for both.:blush:

2 Likes

How about drummers who want to use the DT? It would suck to stop in a middle of a drum performance to try and change a pattern on a box as small as a DT. Maybe there is a way. IDK

Kind of glad I wasn’t an early adopter of the Pioneer sampler thing.

although this little box looks gorgeous, i will let it out … i recently bought a car, so every penny was needed, no money to spare

and with my already existing black trio and and a .5, the AH, i`m more than saturated at the moment, given the fact i have the Blofeld and the Radias too

okay, the OT has no probability-trigs and not soooo good FX, so what

this time not for me

1 Like

To be fair Adam, you’ve been producing and performing for 20+ years. And you’re good at it.

The rest of us are just trying to make a beat a little easier and better :wink:

I personally do everything live and have reconnected with my A4. The combo of Direct Jump and Trig Conditions. Damn. I’m also running the A4 through the Heat. Wow. Inspiring.

I’m going to get the DT for sure.

midi foot pedal

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Personal preferences for analog and digital

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Personal preferences for analog and digital

someone speaks sense… i always try to remind people that big sound systems are not like big stereos…still, the main consensus is usually ‘its stereo so its better’’ when this is a really a terrible way of thinking that is totally false

1 Like

Everything should be mono because it’s coming out big sound systems?? That seems like faulty logic. The great thing about a sampler capable of stereo sampling and playing back stereo samples is that you can choose to do all mono if you like. Maybe make everything mono except for that wide stereo analog polysynth sound with oscillators spread all across the stereo field. I don’t see any reason why anyone needs to be convinced not having a choice of stereo is somehow better??

youre taking what i am saying wrong. you can spread sound without it being stereo- plus you can dual mono… stereo is fine with pads yes… but a big system isnt like a huge room hi fi… you dont have to take it from me, do some research into mono over sludgy stereo smearing . its not compulsory as you can widen sounds without having them rebound all over the place in messy stereo… bass for example and beats… why anyone would stereo these signals is beyond me… the first thing you should learn really.

If the Digitakt is incapable of easily handling stereo samples or recording stereo sound sources, it isn’t doing you any favors.

You wouldn’t want to stereo a kick drum but you’d want hats, Tom’s, percussion etc to sit within a stereo field so if sampling a beat you’d want to maintain its stereo recording, no?

If honest I’m bit lost as I’m not 100% on what exactly digitakt is offering so difficult to judge or debate anything

hi, I am wondering what real time recording means in digitakt/elektron context.
I never had any elektron gear. the mpc 2000xl is my center and I absolutely love it. the only thing I miss is that you are not able to real time record - for example a live bass guitar while the beat is playing.

So what do you think, will it be possible to record audio straight to a new audio track without the necessity to stop the beat? how does that work on the OT?

I’d say so, if it’s anything like the OT/MD. I’d assume it has pickup/RAM machines that record to a buffer and can be saved as a sample afterwards.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Gotharman

Ah, well good luck with the Fuzion, it seems very powerful.

Regarding this thread: I am actually interested to know how the DT will handle sampling, as it will likely indicate a direction for other future Elektron machines with this capability. I tend to use PMs on the OT a lot, but I’ve barely touched manual and recorder trig sampling.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Gotharman