Introducing Digitakt

Two stereo input resample your track

If we all could just get collective amnesia we could just say this whole thread over again and then it should be almost Aprilā€¦

:tunga:

Balance juices For waiting :cb:

1 Like

64MB per project @ 16bit/44.1kHz will give you about 00:01:35 on each audio track, plenty of material time to do more than just drum sample shots and cheesy vocal stabs :yum:

1 Like

Completely. According to this there is no song mode:

Total deal-breaker for me.

Elektron has lost their way to an extent. Overbridge was a complete waste of resources and did little more than sell some units short-term at the expense of pissing off a lot of users with compatibility issues. Eliminating song mode here, zero external AR sequencingā€¦I donā€™t like the direction this ship is headedā€¦

2 Likes

Think about Moogā€¦ They started out making modulars then things like the minimoog. Years and years later they have something like 3 tiers of synths, 2 tiers of effects, theremins, apps, accessories, and more. Upon the release of every product after the minimoog, people could have thought, well thats it for moog, some may have thought that about the model d compared to the previous modulars. Now decades later they are building modulars and minimoogs again, and the voyager was no joke. Nobody knows what Elektron will end up doing, I doubt they even have any idea what they will be making 10 15 years from now.
I donā€™t think the Digitaktā€™s target market is the nessecarily the folks we see on Elektronauts all the time, they will be the new Elektronauts that start popping in after the release, however the Digitakt will offer a little something to add to any of the current boxes. I imagine its pretty tough to suceed as a synth company these days, I see this new turn a way to broden the market and hopefully by generating more income allow the r&d for the next level stuff.

4 Likes

To me, Overbridge is the reason I have kept Elektron gear in my setup. I really like it.

1 Like

I donā€™t disagree, Mike. Itā€™s mostly the arbitrary and non-competitive limitations I find so baffling.

Good, and Iā€™m sure most feel the same. There is also a percentage of people who have sworn off Elektron because of it. How long have we heard about the AU version being elegantly implemented? How many years now is it? And every year it seems when the new OSā€™s come out there are big compatibility issues. For how long will Elektron support that?

Anyway, I donā€™t want to derail the topic, sorry.

Yeah Iā€™m in that boat. If it wasnā€™t for Overbridge I wouldā€™ve sold up by now I think. Giving my AR until the Digitakt OB update to see if it fixes a few things for my workflow before making a call though.

I donā€™t think Elektron have lost their way. It makes sense to diversify in a controlled way to expand a line up and we donā€™t know enough about the Digitakt to make a fair call on it but while I could see (hear rather) what Heat brought to the table (despite how pricey it is), Iā€™m struggling to see what makes Digitakt a worthwhile purchase. Had it been battery powered that would have changed things though.

No song mode :frowning:

Could the DT follow along with one of the other elektron boxs that can be in song mode? Iā€™m sure that would work. Changing programs in sync with an OT as the OT goes through its song for instance.

Thatā€™s a very good question. I have an AK and that would possibly make the DT worthwhile. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s possible to ā€œpiggybackā€ off another machine to where it would somehow automatically change patterns on the DT while using song mode on another machine.

Should be able to follow song mode by receiving program change. The current boxes can send program change upon changing patterns, which will follow song mode, or the arrangerā€¦

1 Like

Cool. If thatā€™s the case and itā€™s not difficult to do, Iā€™d still be interested.

How does that work on current machines?

The current machines generally have eight banks A-H and 16 patterns in each, and you can set them to transmit that pattern change and to receive it, so for example if you have a Monomachine and manually switch to pattern B3, a Machinedrum connected to it will also switch to B3 in sync with it. Song mode is basically just a list of patterns so when song mode triggers a pattern change itā€™s sending that pattern change externally (if you have it set to do that).

Itā€™s not quite as flexible as having its own song mode though as you can sync song modes but have them playing different patterns. E.g. you might have a MM cycling through 2 different patterns while the MD keeps playing the same one. With the pattern change method youā€™d have to duplicate the pattern on the MD to match the pattern numbers the MM is playing.

1 Like

I hate song mode :slight_smile:

1 Like