Personal preferences for analog and digital

nice to hear someone that knows enough about things not to pay auto-lip service to analog

1 Like

I kinda feel like the frenzy for analog is starting to die down, which is nice. Lots of excitement lately for alternative synth methods, FM, romplers, digital fx etc. Maybe itā€™s the the onset of '90s nostalgia.

4 Likes

i love an analog path - but the term is used by a lot of people that dont seem to realise (or make music) that pure analog is a pain in the backside sometimes. i like to have an analog drum machine and an analog bass path. i have no nostalgia and use things that sound good or shabby depending on the mood im in. i think people talk of analog as in character ā€¦ which you can easily automate either way with some application and time. i bought an ob 6 thinking id be really clever and analog and it sounded worse than spending a few minutes setting up ni reaktor.

Yup. It has certainly led to lots of people barking up the wrong tree. I was chatting to a music-literate girl at a bar once, she sings in a few local projects and had become interested in synths, and at one point she showed me her headphones and said ā€œcheck these out, theyā€™re all analogā€ ā€¦ I was like yeah, mine too love :joy:

3 Likes

the power of the salesmanā€¦ i have an analog sugar bowlā€¦ i swear by it:)

1 Like

For real? You sure you didnā€™t have a bad unit? Guess its horses for courses but even if you arenā€™t a fan of the OB6 sound/ui itā€™s hard to think that digital is on the same level when looking for that soundā€¦ If youā€™ve heard something as thick/lush/vibey in digital then please post link for the vst/hardware :wink: Demos Iā€™ve heard of the ob6 sound beautifulā€¦

The number of times Iā€™ve been complemented on my warm analogue sound, by people listening to MnM/Mduw tracksā€¦ warm & punchy is knowing how to write & mix.

7 Likes

In the end I donā€™t care about analog or digital - I care about interface, workflow, and the speed at which I can translate an idea into sound

9 Likes

Analog or digital, both are perfectly valid methods, and can sound equally terrible or sublime. Use em together, playing to their strenghts and enjoy the ride!

Even though soundwaves are analog, we have something resembling an AD converter in our brain that makes us hear the sounds around usā€¦ Ying and Yang

2 Likes

i detested itā€¦ i set it up many waysā€¦ i bought it thinking it would be great - i know i sound nuts but i dont like its horrible trance-sugary 1980s vibeā€¦ and that oberheim filter ā€˜thingā€™ is the worst. people forget, dave smith and tom obi dont make electronic musicā€¦ they are nostalgia engine makersā€¦ if you hate the sound its a deep hateā€¦ not a fan of the ā€˜stranger things 80s revival of the 80s bladerunnerā€™ thing at all. to me it sounds like a bankrupting digital try hard

Ah, yeah might have bought the wrong synth :wink:

1 Like

in answer to the last bit ā€“ just get reaktor by NIā€¦ use a nice midi keyboard and spend some time patching with a decent amount of headroom and a delay send/verb. if you want to spend that much on a synth then go aheadā€¦ personally i sold mine and got a few items such as the tanzbar which is far more fun and its just a drum machine!

Iā€™m always gonna dig the oberheim sound. Canā€™t justify the Ā£Ā£ to grab one tho. Iā€™d have to sell half my gearā€¦

You can still use old colours to paint something new :wink: If you looked around enough youā€™d prob find old tracks that sound almost identical to what youā€™re doing on synths in reaktor? In terms of the synthesis/tones etc. Modular is pretty nostalgic itself a lot of the timeā€¦ Just seems a lot more popular/affordable now. I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m talking about in that area tho tbh. Just know that Iā€™ve heard experimental electtonic records from the 70s/80s that sound pretty similar to a lot of modern modular. Maybe just to my untrained earā€¦

I canā€™t see why now itā€™s no longer spelled ā€˜analogueā€™ā€¦
Thatā€™s enough to piss me right off regardless.

EDIT
Letā€™s all start spelling it ā€˜dijitulā€™ and be done with itā€¦
Pfff!

5 Likes

the issue i have with the ob6 is the ā€˜lets pretendā€™ elementā€¦ im all for old stuff and old sounds, its the foundationā€¦ but the dave smith stuff for me is the exact opposite - but i did have a go and went ahead to get rid of the drooling i found myself doing. euro racking is great ā€“ im not anti nostalgia, im more anti new stuff that tries to sound old and fails

in my experience, Iā€™d take a monomachine or a Waldorf Q over many expensive analog polys and monos - any frigging day of the week. Forgetting price and profit motives, for example - iā€™d take a monomachine over a jp8, moog modular , ob8, eurorack, and many others. Digital MachinedrumUW over a tr808 and 909; any day!
AR over any old sampler sp1200, mpc60, and any $4K expensive analog drum machine.

After using a mountain of top end analog Iā€™ve found it limiting ; and have been buying and selling a lot of 90 VA recently and just trying them out. i.e The micron was a bad buy, the Q a great buy, the nova synth a great buy, acess virus was ok and so I didnt buy it. The new arturia VSTis are now pretty good and decent way to get vintage.

As someone said above - my personal choices now are based on playability not the analog and digital debate.
Anything that annoys me and stops me from going somewhere, within sound design, is not bothered with.

My top fav ā€˜playableā€™ and work-flow synths are right now:

in no order:

EMS synthi/VCS3, that vcs ipad app is very close BTW and a must have.
Monomachine
Buchla Easel,
AR
Moog voyager
jupiter 6
A4
Waldorf Q
system 100 full kit or system 100 plugout (that plugout is very close and has an ems patch martix)
Machinedrum UW
ensoniq asr10/eps16+

That said, a small elektron dig/analog set up of secondhand bought AR/A4/MM/MDUW for $3.5K, will get you as much milage as a 20K studio full of analog and digital dreams.

1 Like

I am sick and tired of modern analogue synths trying to emulate boring old synths and sounds of the past. That time has past. I want futuristic sounds that have yet to be discovered and explored.
One of these days one of the big companies will realize this, release a big knobby digital fm, wavetable, phase mod, sampler, sequenced friggin monster and take over the world

2 Likes

And to keep everyone happy wack a multimode analog filter (not just a boring old Moog lowpass) on it if you like :grinning:

1 Like

Analog is hot cocoa to me
Digital is coca cola.

In the autumn/winter those analog sounds are a pathway to heaven.

But ALL YEAR LONG I could drink a coca cola.

If I had to chose between MnM and A4, Iā€™d definitely choose the sounds of the MnM(the interface and extra features of the A4 howeverā€¦, not to mention the effects w/sends on all channels is nice(however, you can do more with the effects on the MnMā€¦) I digress)

Each have their perks, I suppose. Though I donā€™t need a large collection of synths as Iā€™m not an expert on sound. Just one of everything Elektronā€™s made :smiley:

I mentioned this in another thread, but Iā€™m really glad Elektronā€™s going back to digital. Digital is, by nature, capable of doing much deeper exploitative things. Elektron+Digital has the capabilities of really ā€œwowā€-ing me with their new gear.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s a very good point. Reminds me of my struggles with the Waldorf Microwave - it was my first synth, and I just wanted to love it (and did love it) for its digital wavetables/analog filter hybrid architecture, but it was so frustrating to programā€¦