Introducing Digitakt

You probably speaking Elektron while I’m speaking Roland😅

5 Likes

I wonder what sort of envelopes the DT will have. I was super annoyed by the lack of env settings on the rytm, which didn’t allow retriggering and made it quite annoying to work with longer notes. The A4 did have these settings…

After recently getting into Ableton Lite, this seems like a fun hardware alternative. Sequence external synths, run them into a mixer which runs into the DT, build up loads of patterns/tracks, then sew them all together with effects and performance tools.

Also the filter and overdrive sound really nice. Sounds like the filter is a bit squelchy and characterful, I’m curious what they modeled it after.

pre-ordered from guitatguitar :heart_eyes:

1 Like

All aboard!
This train terminates at audio fulfilment…

1 Like

I meant that they are basically the same thing, as in part of the same math-problem: “Tuning the sample will change the BPM and the pitch.”
Timestretching lets you make changes to the BPM witout affecting pitch.
Pitch-shifting lets you change the pitch without affecting the BPM.

I’m not a mathematician or a coder, but I’m thinking there are many similar numbers floating in the code of both of the features. You rarely have one without the other in todays DAWs. MPC X/L can do both, but the Digitakt can’t do any of them. Wich is fine by me. Another reason to get both :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is my understanding as well. Say you have a funky guitar phrase sample in the key of G minor. The rest of your stuff is in G minor, but runs at a faster tempo than he speed of the funky guitar riff. You use timestretch to speed up the guitar riff to match the tempo, without also raising the pitch of the guitar riff, which is what would happen on real tape.

Let’s say you have another funky guitar riff you want to use - it’s matches your tempo perfectly, but it’s in the wrong key (G#). So you use pitch shift to bring the sample down to the correct pitch.

1 Like

Correct :slight_smile:

There’s two kinds of pitch shift.
Regular just speeds up or slows down the sample making it higher pitch and shorter or lower pitch and longer.
Then there’s a timestretchy version of pitch shit which will change the pitch but retain sample length and bpm.
Then there’s regular timestretch that changes bpm without affecting pitch…

the technique which drives both tasks is the same, and it’s a granular synth basically.

when you pitch-shift, you change the playback speed of the individual grains.
when you time-stretch, you adjust the speed at which you scan through the source buffer/file/whatever

(pretty sure there are other techniques based on Fourier/convolution/resynthesis/whatevski, but the granular thing is most widely used)

4 Likes

What’s the correct terminology to define a simple rate change pitch shift vs a timestrechy pitch shift?
Is there any?

Yes. I’m from the old school, timestretch always was stretching samples to fit tempos, had no idea pitch shift is a form of timestretch. I usually use pitch shift for live vocals as kind of a voice transformer, thats why I can’t see it as timestretch. Anyway, I’m confusing myself back to the lab, back to the music :violin:

I’d say pitch and pitch shift (no speed change).

2 Likes

imo just “rate change” or “variable playback speed” is fine. just think of what happens to a vinyl when you play faster/slower.

3 Likes

(sample/pitch/freq/Hz/rate)-Tuning! :wink:

1 Like

Pitch transposition is the basic form achieved by sample rate conversion.
Pitch Shifting changes the pitch without changing length. This requires a combination of time stretching/compression followed by pitch transposition.

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: DnB DT off-topic side discussion

The problem for me with “rate change” is that rate means female rat or spleen (anatomic) in french.
I don’t want to change my spleen. :grin:

1 Like

I thought my question could lead to some clarity on how to refer to these processes but I realize it will just create a DT thread offshoot spiral that we probably don’t need because we all know what were referring to anyway! :wink:
Judging by 4 consecutive different answers I don’t think there is a specific “correct” terminology…

People pay good money to change their spleen in America.
At least twice as much as other countries!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like