Introducing Digitakt

Sounds cool and all, but where is the Scatter knob!?!?

4 Likes

Good point.

Perhaps a plocked note would be changed by using the pitch/tune dial like the MDā€¦?

Not as friendly and intuitive for programming though. Perhaps they have another trick plannedā€¦

1 Like

Never even seen an Elektron box in the flesh, let alone had a play with this one, but the videos from Superbooth have totally done me in and I had to have one.

So, Iā€™ve just pulled the trigger and bought it for Ā£600 on Gear4Musicā€™s web site in the UK. They have 4 units due for delivery on 27th of May (all snapped up, obviously) and another 24 coming on the 9th of June. My approx delivery date is Mon 12th to Wed 14th of June.

Is it subject to potential delay? Probably. Just extremely happy to know Iā€™ve snagged one.

Now the wait beginsā€¦

4 Likes

On the Rytm, the notes are essentially plocks, just snapped to a semitone by the pads. Hopefully, there will be a way to snap to relative notes like that. Otherwise, you could simply plock the pitch per step, but that doesnā€™t even need a chromatic mode to be done. Needs a way to enter a note while holding the trig down.

It was stated that the reverb on the DT is the same as the RYTM, but to my ears it sounds different in all the demos Iā€™ve listened to. Iā€™m not sure how much I like the RYTMā€™s reverb, I know I preferred the one on the A4. Iā€™d really like to hear more examples of the DTā€™s reverb with different sounds fully drenched in it with extreme long decay settings.

The one thing that would be cool would be if we cold have multiple different sets of p-locks on a step and a percentage chance of each one being triggered. Eg first pass through it plays a bass hit (70% or the time), next time a high pass filtered bit of white noise (25% f the time) and occasionally a reversed trumpet sample through loads of delay (only 5%).

3 Likes

+1 on that :slight_smile:

booo, there needs to be

hey looks cool butā€¦ timestretch plz-- donā€™t see why that canā€™t be implemented.

I bet the DT will get along great with the A4. Youā€™ll be able to sample it and do neat tricks and control extra parameters with the midi tracks and their lfos. With sampling itā€™ll be like having a couple A4ā€™s. Iā€™d at least keep it until you get the DT and try it outā€¦

3 Likes

Canā€™t imagine being able to timestretch all tracks using ctrl-all feature. please, that would be money.

I prefer pitch tuning and pitch shift instead of timestretching.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m missing g something but how are they comparable as different tools for the same task?

Pitch tune slows or speeds up a sample, while Pitch-Shift chromatically adjusts the pitch of the sound without changing its BPM.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that a form of timestrech? Not being facetious, genuinely thought that counted as time-stretching a sample, if it doesnā€™t get shorter/longer when transposed up and down in pitch.

1 Like

Yes, Pitch-shifting and timestretching is basically the same thing. Pitch-tuning is the same thing samplers and trackers has been doing for 30 years.

1 Like

Apparently derived from, but definitely not the same according to :3lektron: fwiw

the way I see it, these guys wouldnā€™t just punt out old code, I think they like to step things up and evolve depending on the project and their vision ā€¦ I also think it explains why things are always taken to the 11th hour ā€¦ they take pride in all the details and extras

6 Likes

Pitch-shift and timestretch are not the same. Pitch shift only adjust the note of the sound. Timestretch, although is chromatic, allows you to speed up or slow the sample without ever changing its original pitch.

Thats why I prefer the combination of using both pitch tune and pitch shift. Timestretch gives you debris and artifacts that garble the sound.

1 Like

Think weā€™re confusing/misunderstanding each other :wink:

1 Like

To me, it seems that much more care is being taken with the DT than the RYTM. In the demo videos, it was explicitly pointed out how the envelopes of the DT have been tailored to be more useful for percussion, along with the high resolution and precision of sample editing. The DT appears to have all types of workflow improvements that the RYTM still lacks.

2 Likes