How happy are you with your Rytm?

I had one briefly when they first came out but didn’t give it enough time to fully appreciate it then. It has evolved into a more robust machine with the dual vco’s but I never had the opportunity of using them. Note that the mk2’s are black like the og I have been considering going back to it. I love using my ot as my total drum machine/synth, but I would like to use the ot more as an effects/mixer/sound mangler roll. Dark Trinity was always a beautiful setup. I have always heard great things pairing the ar with the digitone which I have the keys. I may have to revisit the ar after all.

I’m two weeks into having an Analog Rytm MK2 after having sold my Digitakt. My overall impressions so far:

• The ability to layer samples over the synth engine is outstanding, and really adds a lot of variety to what others have said can be somewhat pedestrian analog sounds.
  • This thing is capable of some FAT bass tones using the DVCO. While not really designed for intricate bass lines, the Rytm is very, very good at recording stinkface-inducing bass using the chromatic mode.
  • The Rytm takes a bit of work at blending well into a mix; compression helps a lot but the Rytm’s sound is very punchy and prominent. I felt the DT sits better in a mix with less work, but doesn’t sound quite as good.
  • The Reverb, Bit Reduction and Delay, to my ears, sound better on the DT, but samples sound amazing when using the analog converters of the Rytm.
  • The Rytm’s pads leave a lot to be desired; they’re not great, but the overall build of the box is superb.
  • I’ve had a few “banging my head against the wall” moments with its file structure; very annoying you can’t appear to manage/save kits outside of specific projects. Blah.

Overall, I’m super happy I upgraded to the Rytm; it’s an incredible machine and while I’m still learning my way through scenes and performances, I can’t see myself going back to the DT after this.

4 Likes

For me, once I wrapped my head around Elektron’s way of doing things (the Elektron architecture), that’s when I really started loving their machines. Their workflow takes a while to understand, but it’s great IMO.

2 Likes

With this I’ve set up multiple projects each with different kits so template projects are my kits and It works pretty well.

1 Like

When I first got mine I tried to make tracks only using the Rytm for few weeks. I just sat on the couch with headphones every evening before bed. This really helped me to learn what it’s strengths and weaknesses were.

I still use it for drums and I almost always use the analog machines. My samples are mostly transients, bodies, clicks, etc for mixing with the analog engines.

I find it’s very good at making almost any drum sound I need quickly. I think once you get to know it really well it there isn’t much, if anything, more versatile for drums in hardware. You can get really quick with it too but you have to put in the practice to get there.

Mine will only leave me if there’s an MKIII some day that improves on the MKI & MKII. Perma-gear.

5 Likes

Possessed mk1 for little more than one year. I bought it because i wanted to have a drum machine for techno, a genre i didn’t practice before.
How what a choice. I find it powerful, efficient with a great sound.
After a short discovering period, i really find it simple to use. With training, it reveal to be pretty adapted to live playing. Even if it present sometimes problematic situations when it’s necessary to switch between scenes/mute/performances.
Whatever, it’s always on my desk with A4 and i power it every day to improvise some techno. A permanent pleasure.
I know that one day i will buy the mk2.

Edit : i didn’t use samples, the analog engines seems to be enought for me.

1 Like

You can copy/paste kits between projects:

6 Likes

There was a time I wanted to part with my mk1. But nobody wanted to buy it for 650 bucks. So I’ve kept it and I’m glad I did. I played the rytm everyday for the last couple of weeks and it blows my mind everytime I use it. Boy this machine sounds so good.

3 Likes

That was a nice price :yum:

My rytm has a shadow and one encoder is not working properly but it still was a good price. Had the octatrack up for sale too but nobody wanted it. So I’ve kept my machines and bought a Analog 4 instead. :laughing:

3 Likes

:+1::joy:

1 Like

The rytm is such a versatile instrument. You can even use it in a very non-musical way. :upside_down_face:
I finished this jam a few minutes ago.

7 Likes

Feeling the same after the revelation i had with my rytm!

hope to finish a little rytm only jam ep by the end of jamuary :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Awesome goal!

I don’t know what I can get done by the end of Jamuary (not much time with toddlers). I was feeling like I need another deep dive with the Rytm solo regardless though. I’ll probably try to do my version of something similar.

3 Likes

something is better then nothing!
looking forward for some tasty rytm jams :totes:

1 Like

sounds pretty musical to me :slight_smile: but i get what you’re saying, definitely a lot of interesting things in there when you take it past the edges of it’s intent as a “drum computer”

1 Like

i made a drum & bass track with the rytm only not long ago…
its pretty rewarding to do and it shows how capable the rytm is completely by itself

4 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: In the market for a mainly analog drum machine

talking about why I love rytm

12 Likes

I’m still digging mine, I just wish Elektron would put out some great acoustic drum Soundpacks. Maybe a pack with some great Gretsch, Slingerland, and Ludwig drums in it (non glitchy/altered/bit reduced).

2 Likes