In the market for a mainly analog drum machine - FOUND IT : )

Good day to all Elektronauts :slight_smile:
I suppose this is the best place to ask the following question: I am in the market for an analog drum (mainly) machine. I have been looking at Jomox, Vermona, MFB and the one being discussed hereā€¦
No need for MIDI, sequencing, samplingā€¦
Tanzmaus seem unfindable. Second hand market is a joke (600ā‚¬ on Reverb :joy:).
AR is VERY expensive for an analog drum machine only.
Vermona (drm1) is ā€œmehā€ (to my ears anyway).
Jomox mostly unreliable.
Where/what should I look?
Any hint most welcome :slight_smile:

I would say: Elektron devices shine due to their combination of Sound/Features and the Sequencer. You would loose a lot if you sequence it from external.

2 Likes

good box

Fully agree :slight_smile: I have a DT for that matter.
Where I am a AR mk1 second hand can be had for less than 900ā‚¬ā€¦

Sounds like you are looking for an analog machine exclusively? If so, I would look Tanzbar.

5 Likes

Yep :slight_smile:
Going to be a pain in the aā€¦ but QC on these is not up to the price. Read lots of issues with master knobā€¦
Just came across another one on Reverb with this issueā€¦ MFB Tanzbar 2010s | Georgios's Gear Outlet | Reverb
Will keep looking :slight_smile:

Edit: Arturia to be considered?

Moog DFAM?

3 Likes

AFAIK, Tanzbar needs to be version 1

1 Like

I think if you want the best sound, you should go MFB. I own an AR which is the better package IMO, but Iā€™m stll wondering about a Tanzbar sometimes because of the sound. Its like an itch I have to scratch at some pointā€¦

2 Likes

Pulsar 23?

6 Likes

Not a big fan of its soundā€¦ That is going to start a war I knowā€¦mmm

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile: did not know about that. Is it better QC?

Looks like my plan :slight_smile: Surely looking for a Tanzmaus. Have seen and heard what it is capable of :slight_smile:

Will look into this but seems costlyā€¦
Edit: $$$. Out of my price range.

1 Like

And probably youā€™ll have to wait a lot until you can get one.

1 Like

Too expensive for me, sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve owned the tanzmaus. I think the tanzbar is more value for the money as itā€™s not that much more.

2 Likes

Just saw a Tanzmaus second hand less than 400ā‚¬ā€¦ Gone before I even had the time to read itā€¦

Edit: patience will have to come into playā€¦ Will keep my TR-8 and see what is coming up in terms of analog drum machine :slight_smile:

Thats what you read everywhere. I was in the ā€œwhat drum synth do I wantā€ game for a while. Settled on the Rytm tho.

1 Like

The AVP Ritmobox may be to your taste. But I guess with shipping and import, the price tag would end up at cca 650 euros.

There are very few analogue drum machines in production compared to synths:

Iā€™m not convinced about the ARā€™s sound, but Iā€™ve never had a proper play with one. But analogue drum machines require a lot more voices, envelopes etc. and thus generally come with a higher price tag.

If you donā€™t need a sequencer and can look elsewhere than analogue, Nord Drum 2 and 3 sound amazing: with deep synth engines.

1 Like

I have a TanzbƤr mk1 and sometimes I think about selling it to get a Rytm mk2.

Then ā€¦ I turn it on and just get a BD, SN and RS going and I understand again why I bought it in the first placeā€¦ :star_struck:.

I hope I can find some time soon to get it integrated into the bitwig setup and start modulating them ccā€™s and see where it takes me.

Anyway since covid they reappeared on the second hand market, if you have the cash and take care of your stuff itā€™s a great analog DM imho.

I would only sell for a rytm, might happen if we move to Crete because I will scale down to the minimum then.

2 Likes

Division Department 01/IV
check latest compilation made entirely with this machine as a sound source

9 Likes

Iā€™d really go for the Vermona sinCe you donā€™t need other bells and whistles. I didnā€™t take to it instantly and some of the sounds need processing like the kick if you want more sub pressure. Iā€™m a sucker for turning knobs while a sequence plays out though so take my grain of salt. Good luck.

1 Like