How happy are you with your Rytm?

This one ?

One of the few I bought. Very fine quality.

2 Likes

As happy as it gets, to conclude from this picture :smiley:

1 Like

Couldnā€™t be happier.

If I didnā€™t already have one Iā€™d buy one on the strength of this video :muscle:

1 Like

I picked up a used mk1 last September.
Fantastic box. While itā€™s one of the most basic synths I own and the sampler aspect is almost laughably basic, when the two sound engines are combined with each other and then interact with the sequencer and the rest of the sound architecture (fx, multi gain staging, etc) it becomes so much more than the sum of its parts. I never ā€œgot itā€ by reading the specs but I do now that Iā€™ve used the thing.
Do I have complaints about it? Sure. Tons. Thatā€™s the nature of my relationship with gear in general.
The one thing that drives me nuts regularly is that it doesnā€™t resample. I find myself using multiple pads playing in unison to make a drum sound out of lots of layers and I really wish I could condense them down to a single pad once I have them dialed in. I probably should have bought the mk2 but thatā€™s the only feature from it I truly lust after.

Indeed a very nice feature, that youā€™ll find once you trully want it in a

:tongue:

1 Like

couldnt agree more

So far blown away happy. Only had it a week. The sound is incredible. Midi out for each track is what was missing from the DT. The sound is incredible. Perf/scenes/song mode. Everything that was missing from the other devices I tried before arriving at this thing. The sound is incredible.

Iā€™m not yet upset by the bizare no-name-for-patterns, where are my samples, where are my kits, where the hell is everyhing weird file system madness. Maybe I will be, but the way it sounds so far, I think I can forgive this box anything. Oh, and the DAW intergration is better than the other boxes Iā€™ve tried from Elektron.

I was so stupid in my eyes once and sold the rytm and bought a digitakt.

At some point in the course of the production I realized how valuable it is to me to use analog devices. the sound is just more powerful and somehow it changes minimally that you get the feeling of playing an instrument. now i have bought the rytm again and i will never give it back ā€¦ such analog drums is really something different than samples ā€¦ you can tune it fresh and as I said, it prevails without tweaking too much. and the rytm also looks super fresh, which is also important for devices ā€¦

Too lazy to RTFM question but can the CV inputs on the mkii be routed to control scenes and/or performance? Please say no.

1 Like

Not exactly, they are like separate, additional, ā€œmodulation macrosā€, with up to four destinations. So like extra mini performance macros.

2 Likes

Ive just never been able to get along with the rytm mk1, had it for 5 years and still not really able to get what I want out of it, but do keep it in the hope I will be able to get something out of it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got this one already. It is good.

Loving it overall but having problemsā€¦weird bugs where sounds sometimes donā€™t play the way they should, for example Iā€™ll have parameter locks on the VCO synth and every now and again the sound will change from how I programmed it to something weird. On OS 1.5, now Iā€™m getting connection failed with the transfer app on my Mac Mini. Installed a new transfer app on my MacBook Pro and it wonā€™t connect at all, so I canā€™t even upgrade to 1.6. Seems now I need to get a midi to usb converter to upgrade from startup. Damn, I bought this thing so I could get away from the computer and problems like this. Oh, and sometimes it wonā€™t turn on, power switch onā€¦nadaā€¦try again, power is on. Ok, thatā€™s my rant over, still probably my favourite piece of gear.

Edit: All is fine now since I upgraded to 1.6, couldnā€™t be happier.

1 Like

Saturday night love date with AR MKI and found this thread. I have it since Jan 2016 and this baby has seen countless gigs and airport scanners. It is still in awesome condition (had knob caps and LCD changed) and only wish the faceplate letterings hadnā€™t faded out so much. Other than that, working perfectly as day 1. I donā€™t think I would get an MKII cos I find it too big and clumsy for gigging and travelling, and it doesnā€™t match with my Digitoneā€™s form factor. BTW Digitone + AR MKI is the best match in the Elektron world. Iā€™ve had Monomachine, Machinedrum MKII, Octatrack MKI, Analog Four, Model Samples, theyā€™re all gone except these two :slight_smile:
PD: the white circle button is the Crash cymbal after the fillsā€¦ see the faded prints belowā€¦

12 Likes

I love mine, but it is unreliable as hell.

I only use it a few hours a week, and most sessions will have some weird glitch (sound stops coming out unless I reload kit, pattern change is slow, it wonā€™t start up first time) It is an AR Mkii black, 1.60B. Just upgraded to 1.61B hoping that makes it less glitchy. Planning to start using it live when things re-open, so it is going to have to improve.

I use mine with an A4, which is a good pairing, maybe a DN would be better, as I find the A4+AR are dark/wooly/similar without effort to move sound sharper and cleaner.

You should contact Elektron because of that. Does not sound normal.

1 Like

I tried today, canā€™t login. Will do when their site is better. HOWEVER from some posts on this site, doesnā€™t sound that abnormal either.

I logged in not more than 15 mins ago. It had some problems over the last few hours but seems to be working just fine now. Also, do a Start Up mode test to see if any errors are reported.

1 Like