How are people liking the Model: Samples?

I think you’re absolutely right that the relatively large storage space creates its own challenges. That’s why I’m surprised that they opted for a non-scrolling, non-adjustable, 9-character readout within the SAMPLE ASSIGN menu. It’s cool that I don’t have to wear my glasses and all … but I’ve had to use the most generic names for my samples to make browsing workable.

The feature request thread does seem to be full of low-hanging fruit (e.g. unused sample purging, custom default templates, UI font adjustment, more parameter value-jumping). As you say, it should be possible to make some incremental improvements.

By the way, you might find these tips helpful:

1. You can long press [BACK] to return to the root directory. I use this shortcut a lot.

2. To speed up browsing samples, try copying Track A to Track B. This way, when you open the SAMPLE ASSIGN menu on Track B, you’ll be browsing the directory of the selected sample on Track A.

3. Also, toggle the SAMPLE ASSIGN button to return to the directory with the selected sample in it. This is handy when you’ve browsed away from the directory with the selected sampled in it and need to find your way back.

4. The pads really do lack sensitivity. I haven’t had mine long enough to tell you whether they’ll break in or not. For now, I’m reducing the velocity depth to around 80 in the PAD SETTINGS menu to adjust for this.

5 Likes

I think M:S is a clipper and DT is overdrive.

2 Likes

Those are some GREAT suggestions. In fact, your post needs to be read in concert with mine, since it sounds like some of my “suggestions” either already were features, or similar workarounds exist to get you close to what I was looking for. The track copy idea is particularly smart and useful. The issue I have is that while I have read the manual, and watched probably hours of demo/tutorial videos, I struggle with or forget how to do simple things when using the actual device.

For example, I know and see that there are copy/paste buttons, but that could be copy pattern, copy track, copy trig/step, copy bank, copy session, etc. It’s not automatically clear to me, and I sometimes mess it up. I will learn how to do that, though, as I would probably use that one a lot.

Just practise, it’ll maybe take a little while but you’ll be doing these things without thinking soon enough.

If record is active you’re in track mode and will copy the track, if record is off you’re in global mode and it will copy the whole pattern.

The bug you mention is very annoying - the DT is so tight with Ableton it’s great - the MS really needs this fixing - I agree with the rest of what you said too :slight_smile:

There are also some undocumented shortcuts, believe it or not. If you can arrange to have that document beside you while you work, I’m sure it will pay off in the long run.

Conceding that my memory is limited, I tend to compile digital notebooks for any relatively sophisticated music technology that I own; these contain extracts from the manual, tips from forums and my own discoveries. That might seem like overkill, but the last thing I want is to squander a session spinning my wheels!

2 Likes

Is there a short cut for resetting all parameters to zero?

Spent the evening creating lots of mini folders of 6 sample kits on an external drive dedicated for the MS. The auto kit load feature is great for this to refine a palette of sounds itb then wack it across to the MS for jamming ideas out. Processing samples with some fx and tweaks in Live. Such a cool productive little machine.

3 Likes

I’m not aware of any method to reset all parameters in a very convenient way.

If you want to retain your sequence data while resetting most parameters, you could clear the track by pressing [Track] + [Play].

More info here:

2 Likes

Thanks , really appreciate the reply. I’ve probably created a bit of a cack handed workflow . I don’t save anything as a project , just load up the samples , tweak a jam and record it out as sections to my DAW .

This will work well for clearing the last jams plocks etc

1 Like

when they make it possible to just save a kit on the Model Samples itself omg it’s going to make life much easier!!!

As an M:C user I’m surprised to find that this feature from the M:C is not on the M:S

But is it not the same algorithm?

hopefully it’s on the way

1 Like

If you upgrade from M:S to DT.
Is it possible to import M:S patterns/projects into Digitakt?

No, it is not possible.
The only thing compatible between the two is the .wav file format.

3 Likes

thanks

1 Like

This nice guy really love Model:Samples

4 Likes

hrm, still love my M:C dearly but I’ve been a little blasé on my M:S as of late. Is it because I’m using drum samples and not digging the filter much? I may also not be able to manipulate the sound as much as I’m used to.

I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just skip the Digitakt and either go full OTmkii or possibly replace it with an A4mkii. (I do have a Rytm already, it’d be my better option if not.)

People who’re digging theirs as of late, what do you find fun about it? Do you use more melodic samples? Loops? Abstract noise?

Maybe my samples just suck :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the Digis and a MS. I hadn’t been using my MS much since I got my Digis, but when I got it out I remembered why I loved it in the first place and how its weight, size, and price make it a great option to take to any risky environment. Risky could be a multitude of things. It’s great for travel, road trips, camping, or outdoor music based meditation. I’m wanting to grab a MC next even though I love my Digitone. I love having a Digitakt and a MS. Plus, just to have the sequencer is worth the price of admission as they say.

3 Likes

M:S + KRK Rokit 5 G3 + AT M40x = my setup. I sold everything on purpose and left only this set of tools. M:S allows me to implement everything I know how to do. An incredibly cool budget box for undemanding musicians like me. My entire music world fit into a 1Gb sample pack. This is really the minimalism I was aiming for.

7 Likes