MODEL SAMPLES: Stupid Question / Quick Answers

There you’ll find just the sample file, with original sound

Hi Folks! I have the well known scale issue. The pattern doesn’t start at one, the trigger for the program change starts later. How late depends on the length of the pattern. I made the scale in every different constellation. Can someone tell me the truth, am I a moron? :rofl:

Hi, I have a newbie question. I understand chance can be used to trigger whether the note plays or not, but is there a way to program a condition whereby the velocity is random between a set range?

If not, is there any workaround possible to get random velocity happening, for a given step, within a defined velocity range?

Never having used a sequencer in my life, is this even a valid question? I would have thought it would be handy to introduce subtle randomized velocity on say a hi-hat, for a little humanized feel?

I’m not aware of any way to do random velocity on the MS.

You could, however, send an LFO with a random wave to the Volume + Distortion for a similar effect.

3 Likes

Newbie question(s):

1.) I’m loosing the HiHat audio in the sequence and I think it might have something to do with the LFO?

The sequence is running and triggers are firing on T4 in this example. I checked the filter, resonance, reverb and decay levels to see if they were cutting out the frequency to no avail. Any idea why it’s doing that!?

2.) Is there there a way to disable/turn off the LFO on a track?

3.) Or, How do you clear a track totally empty of all triggers, retrigs, conditional, parameter and sample locks?

I’ve the M:S only two weeks now, I think it’s got huge potential! The manual and YouTube has been a great help!

Thanks in advance!

[LFO] + [PLAY] clears the LFO.

To clear a Parameter Lock, hold the [TRIG key(s) ] , turn the parameter knob you wish to clear and press [PLAY] .

If the parameter is a button, such as LFO, hold [TRIG key(s) ] , press the parameter button you wish to clear and then press [PLAY] .

[TRACK] + [PLAY] will clear sound data for the selected track. This will lead to the following, relatively confusing, state:

1. The default factory sample for the selected TRACK will be recalled.

2. The TRACK’s parameters will be cleared except for LEVEL, RETRIG, SWING, CHANCE.

3. Sequenced TRIGS, PARAMETER LOCKS and SAMPLE LOCKS will not be cleared.

4. All PAD SETTINGS will be cleared except for FIX (if set).

5. TRACK SETTINGS and SCALE SETUP will not be cleared.

UPDATE: If you want to clear a Track’s sequencer data (Trigs, P-Locks & Sample Locks), hold [FUNC] + [PLAY] while in GRID RECORDING mode.

4 Likes

Hi Folks, M:S Supernewb questions for you…

1. My Keystep is synced with the M:S but to my ears it sounds slightly behind the beat? Maybe that’s a setting in the Keystep? Super annoying though. Thoughts?
  2. What are the OSC files on the M:S? How do you use them?
  3. The instruction in the manual on Conditional Locks is basically useless for me. An example of a sentence: “Fill is true when Fill is false.” etc… Sounds like coding language to me? I’d do much better with a Youtube tutorial.

Thanks folks! Have a great day…

What sound source is the KeyStep controling? How is it connected?

What do you mean by “OSC files”? Samples?

Some understanding of binary logic (“True or False”) certainly helps.

An example:
If you set a trig condition on a step to be “FILL” then the trig on that step will be played when the M:S is in FILL mode.

A horizontal bar line on top of a trig condition (as in the text from the manual that you quoted; I will write it as notFILL) has the opposite effect, so if you set a trig condition on a step to be “notFILL” then the trig on that step will be played when the M:S is not in FILL mode.

Thank you so much! I meant OSC samples. (There are several very short samples)

Keystep controls MS & Korg Volka Keys using midi solutions box. Maybe I don’t have that set up correctly? But it seems to work pretty well. I can play the Keystep using T1-T6 pads on the MS, or switch to the Volca Keys.

These are single cycle waveforms, if you load them and put the track in loop mode you can play/sequence them chromatically.

2 Likes

SOLVED - You achieve this with [TRACK] + [PLAY] as @echoicMalady said.
I was doing [TRACK 2 / T2] + [PLAY].

Thanks for this, @echoicMalady. Super useful.

A have another question - Do you know how to clear TRACK SETTINGS, STRIGS, PARAMETER LOCKS and SAMPLE LOCKS for a specific TRACK?

I sometimes want to get one track to its default values or to load a new sample into an existing TRACK - but when loading a new sample, it gets the settings from the previous TRACK.

Thanks!

Hey @ibenzal. Glad you solved it.

Unfortunately, clearing a Track doesn’t return everything you specified to default values. I’m not sure why.

You could, however, create a default pattern and copy/paste Tracks from there when you want to return a Track to a blank slate without clearing the entire Pattern.

I outlined an approach for managing projects via custom templates here: Model:Samples Tips & Tricks Thread

1 Like

well this is definitely one of the most important feature request, ^

Agreed.

The [TRACK] + [PLAY] shortcut isn’t documented in the manual, so perhaps it’s not fully implemented yet. It does seem strange to me that it doesn’t clear all parameters.

You can use [FUNC] + [PLAY] in GRID RECORDING mode to clear a Track’s sequencer data, at least.

What I would really like, however, is the ability to reload a Track from the last project save state.

this one was very useful,thanks

I updated to the last firmware and i still have problems with the step 1 not playing in some of the tracks, any solution to this?

Check your micro-timing on that first step? If you recorded a note in unquantised record mode, it could be shifted before the beginning of the first page, and thus only audible when the sequencer gets to the end of the last page.

1 Like

If not micro-timing, do you accidentally have those steps conditionally set to “Not 1st”?

Loved that one! Thnx! :100:

Thanks a lot! I don’t remember to record in the unquantised mode in these particular tracks but this was the problem, would be more careful with that.