How are people liking the Model: Samples?

I’m using my M:S on the couch so it could be wiggled in different ways than my M:C, i’ll try swapping the PSU in case there’s an intermittency there.

But has anyone noticed the Model: series turning off with minimal motion? I’ve lost work a few times when i’m in a groove and i suspect it’s the teeny tiny barrel connector trying to stay connected.

2 Likes

Quite a few times when using it on the bed yeah.

1 Like

It happened to me sometimes (M:S)
But it doesn’t occur now. Not sure if it’s cause a firmware update or maybe I am used to be extremely careful with it since that

In fact, I sent my unit to the shop where I bought it to check that, and we couldn’t reproduce it (maybe the firmware thing?)

I’ve only had it happen on the left side dc power input, from a usb battery pack.
Never on the rear DC power input.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m too busy yelling at it to think about what may have changed. I don’t recall moving it around all the time so could be firmware, but i’m on the latest and this doesn’t happen on my M:C that i’ve ever noticed so for all i know it could be a defective PSU and a point of strain in the barrel. I’ll swap them at some point and pay attention :slight_smile:

Hrm, it doesn’t seem to be triggered by motion or angle, could still be a bad PSU. Doubt there any debug logs accessible that i could look at.

I sold my MS but if I remember correctly I had this issue too. To me it seems like the power plug i used was too short. It fitted perfectly, but over time it seems to slip off just Half a millimeter so it looses contact.

1 Like

I just got the DT, but I think I might keep the M:S, I like swing per track, the distortion seems to be different, a bit cleaner, not quite as filthy, finger drumming, delay also seems different, reverb defo sound different on samples.

Also, atm I have 12 Elektron midi tracks with lfos doing nothing. I could also use the M:S to control my Sv1b as it has a nice Midi-cv unit. I have some more cables coming today, so I’ll try and test the differences between fx properly. If it’s worth it, I’ll upload a wav comparing the two.

3 Likes

Has anyone ever thought about using their M: S as a midi controller?
I am considering buying an M: S again and using it to control my MC707.
I know that I can’t change the Midi CC’s on the M: S, but I have my midihub for that. For example, I can turn the cutoff button on the M: S and the midihub translates the CC data for the MC707, so that the cutoff is changed there.
I could also take full advantage of the elektron sequencer. And the best part for me: with one button I can switch between 6 channels / tracks and always have the same controls to control 6 different synths on the MC707.

Did I miss something? or should it work like this? Does M: S send CC’s for each encoder? also p-locked?

Yes.

No.

3 Likes

I think it’s a great midi controller. But no p-locks though. Sequencer sends note and velocity only I believe.

1 Like

I’ve literally just mapped my M:S to some parameters in Live and it works great - the encoders are mapped to Turnado and then I’ve used the first 8 notes of the keyboard to control the Looper - works well :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-x9Y0jg-Qo

3 Likes

I still won’t get rid of it, because swing per track is just too good.

2 Likes

I have the DT since long time and from how I use it I’m more and more looking to “downgrade” to M:S. I don’t use midi and I use mostly 5-6 track per beats on my DT.
drumming pad and swing per track look very cool. I think I can have fun with M:S.

1 Like

Beware, the pads ain’t no MPC pads. I mean it: you really have to SMASH them to reach full velocity.

And yeah, you can have mad fun with the M:S but really think twice about having no direct sampling (and no resampling), coarse start point instead of fine, and no trig preview.

3 Likes

yeah you right. I really miss some pads for finger drumming. The pro for M:S are not so good. I should stick with DT. Maybe add a pad controller.

2 Likes

I had a Digitakt at first. Sold the Takt to buy an OT. Missed the instant fun, bought a Model:Samples. I love my OT and my M:S, but I often think about selling both to get another Digitakt.

If you like your DT and work fast with it, keep it. If you want something different to have a dose of quick fun on the side, buy a PO33 or a Volca Sample.

1 Like

Don’t do it!

You’ll only lose:
Number of Samples in a project.
FX
Hardware output count
Live looping
Velocity sensitivity
MIDI Arp
LFO Designer
Total LFOs
Per track swing
Quick Slicing
Disk streaming
etc. etc.

And gain:
Granular sample playback.

Love the immediacy of my MS,.
OT amped up what I can do with it, and the result overshoots then DT by a mile.

If you miss your DT, I recommend finding something else to sell.

3 Likes

Yeah you right. I never wanted to sell my DT I know it’s the best elektron device :slight_smile:
I just thinked about M:S to change a bit and leave my comfort zone. But yeah after the discovery excitement, I will certainly go back on DT mainly for trig preview and direct sampling.

I understand, sometime I also thing about OT but I always cancel because I know me, too much possibility make me lost and do nothing.

Nah, I stick with Elektron. Don’t want to learn something new.

1 Like

Haha it has turned into a nice antiGAS thread in the end.

Yeah, each time I think about selling the duo to buy a DT, I try to remember why I sold the DT to buy an OT in the first place.

Got to stick to my plan of a mini M:S / M:C / OT Voltron.

1 Like