Hanging notes?

Please file bug reports, folks. Elektron doesn’t monitor everything on this forum.

4 Likes

Yes, for some reason it didn’t occur to me to check if the digitone vst was capable of multichannel audio (ableton doesn’t give any visual indication if a vst has multi channel audio or not afaik) - that’s really cool!

So I gave OB on the digitone another shot and yesterday I was only having the occasional hanging note - it was almost workable, this morning it seems to be working properly for me! I’m sequencing tracks 123 with ableton and the dn is sequencing drums on track4. Seperate audio tracks for each DN track with just the fx audio coming out of the main VST track. No hanging notes at all so far!

I have no idea why it’s working now and not before except for the fact I’m not using the analog heat, and I’m trying a different USB cable on the digitone (actually I hadn’t changed the cable last night when I was getting the occasional hanging notes, but this morning I switched to the official elektron cable and so far no hanging notes at all)

Time to switch on the analog heat I guess…

1 Like

All still seems to be working here even with the analog heat added into the equation (vst via overbridge) :grinning:

One thing I’ve noticed is at the moment both my soundcard buffer and the overbridge plugin buffer is set to 128 - maybe having them set the same helps somehow (I don’t know how any of this really works). Driver performance mode is set to high speed rather than highest, buffer safety margin left at 100…

Not sure why it’s working now, I guess that means it might not work tomorrow

Zac_Kyoti
Please file bug reports, folks. Elektron doesn’t monitor everything on this forum.

Done.

3 Likes

I’m planning on it, but I’ve been having trouble getting any logging that shows any indication of the problem. All the logging seems to show everything working properly. Regardless, I’ll file a bug tonight when I get home.

As a reminder, I’ve got this hanging note issue when an Akai Force is sequencing the digitone :

After testing the MIDI out of the Force, it appears when a note ends naturally (without muting), a “note off” message is send at the end of the trigged note.
When I press the mute button on the Force, the MIDI message is different, this is a CC called “all notes off” :

The “note off” message is correctly understood by the Digitone, but the CC “All Notes Off” isn’t.
My two other synths, as shown in the video, understand the “All Notes Off”.

Is this a bug ? An oversight ?

3 Likes

I guess technically this is not a bug because you don’t have to follow the midi standard all the way while designing an instrument. But not doing so can cause a lot of incompatibilities, this being one.

This is the Akai being too smart for the Digi series. It’s sending an “all notes off” message to stop all notes in stead of going though it’s memory, figure out which notes are on, and then sending them in series. This makes sense because an" all notes off" message is a lot shorter and thus sends faster, keeping the timing tighter. And almost every synth supports this.

I think it’s baffling though. The controls on the midi “Filter” page show all the names from the midi standard when certain controls are selected. They even blocked every CC above #119, this is where all the “Channel Mode Messages” are located. The “All Notes Off” message is part of those(CC #123).
On top of that, the Digi boxes send an “All Notes Off” when double pressing the stop button.

So, to answer your question: I’s not a bug, but an oversight that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.
I think it’s best to handle this as a bug though. The Digi’s should at least follow the midi standard for “Channel Mode Messages” to increase compatibility. (Also for “Program Change”.)

Thanks for this message. So the Digitone actually don’t include the understanding of a basic CC MIDI standard. I didn’t know that.

I bought the Digitone to use it as a sound module, if I can’t, I won’t keep it for sure.

If this oversight can be fixed, I can wait for it, but I’d like to know at least if Elektron will consider fixing it. If they don’t care about it, I want to know it.

Unfortunately, I created a ticket to the Elektron support, but they don’t reply at all…

Having the hanging issue as well when using an external controller to activate the DN (Korg Monologue). Also, DN is wonky as hell when firing MIDI off to other synths. Timing all over the place. No such issues from the Digitakt.

It’s really hard to say if those things will be fixed.
Anyway, they added portamento in the past where nobody had hope for it. Maybe, maybe not… hard to tell, right?

1 Like

It does have me contemplating returning the DN and getting an A4 mk1 or a Deepmind12D. :confused:

EDIT: ok to be fair, that has as much to do with how the Digitakt can handle practically every job by itself, once granular synthesis with the oscillator samples enters the picture. What a great idea that was.

Interesting! I get hanging notes when sending midi to some outboard from the DT…sometimes when i press stop mid note, and sometimes a note just keeps going through a sequence…wonder if this is CC123 is relevant on the out of the DT???

Yeah it’s when you hit stop when notes are still playing… hope the fix it

I noticed 2 things when programming a sequencer for the DN:

1. It only responds to the MIDI message All Sounds Off, not All Notes Off…this will stop all notes and FX lines

2. If you send it two identical note-on messages, you will get hanging notes even if you send 2 note-off’s…So C1 (ON) + C1 (ON) + C1 (OFF) + C1 (OFF) will hang. If you are sequencing externally you need to make sure you don’t do that

2 Likes

Actually, I don’t even hit stop on the Akai Force sequencing the Digitone, it’s when I mute the sequence when a note still plays. I didn’t know it is the same issue when you hit stop.
And yes, hope they will fix this…

I’m using overbridge and ableton when I hit stop on ableton push if the notes are playing, some notes continue playing so muting the sequence must be similar

Yeah, just like the bugged polyrhythm/scales thing! So sick of Elektrons way nowadays releasing new machines way to early, neglecting updates, and if we get a new update we get other new bugs instead. And you can’t say anything bad about Elektron or you get banned (they banned me almost for half a year) I left my DN untouched for a very long time because I can’t cope anymore with the many bugs/issues! I want to make music instead of always encountering shit because it takes all the fun away! Neither do I want anymore to always report bugs, the developpers need to test and program better! And that’s why I stopped buying new Elektrons also, simply done with it! I’m not hoping for years and years anymore if they will get it solved or not! I even hope in the future that Behringer buys up Elektron, maybe then we will get decent usable firmware from the beginning!

1 Like
  1. Great, so a workaround would also kill the FX…
  2. If this is true, this would mean you can’t even sequence the Digitone with the Digitakt(or sequence itself via midi loopback), because of a bug with double notes at the loop of a pattern.

Somebody at elektron should read this:

1 Like

I already sent 2 emails to Elektron about this Midi issue 1 month ago. No reply at all…

Do they always do that ? They don’t reply at all ?

Make a support ticket on Elektron’s website.

1 Like