Hanging notes?

Yes I know it’s an 8 voice but…
On an empty pattern, set chords to Maj, play 3 buttons at once, sometimes it just plays forever, hanging notes! Known bug?

3 Likes

Might want to run the self test on the Digitone. If that doesn’t show anything, submit a support ticket with Elektron directly. I’ve never had that issue with my DN.

1 Like

It seems that I cannot reproduce it anymore??? Test said nothing… I’m getting sick always questioning myself thinking I did something wrong but it’s the machine that does weird things!

…countless days like that in my back…was all lack of experience with brandnew gear…especially with this full on nerd instruments from sweden…once ur over that u’ll be fine…
promise…so, chin up, pants down and keep on trying…

1 Like

Well, it doesn’t need always be a bug. Very long decay/release settings on the AMP envelope or some weird LFO modulations may also look like “hanging” notes.

2 Likes

man it was on normal AMP settings and no lfo’s applied! May look like hanging notes??? no notes in the sequener just playing the buttons!

1 Like

There where no details like this in your original post. I just listed possibilities.

yes sorry I’m a bit pissed, it’s always something with that DN!

For the record I’ve had zero problems with my DN and it’s one of my favourite pieces of gear in my studio.

1 Like

Then I suggest you go deeper or play it for long times! Or have a jam with other machines. I really don’t believe that there are DN’s which behave tottaly normal! They all have bugs or weird behaviour! It’s my second unit (first one crashed/freezed a lot, had glitching lfo page, wobbly knobs, freezing when applying feedback, etc) and this brandnew replaced one still freezes/crashes luckily not so much as the first unit!

I used to get hanging notes on my Waldorf Pulse 2. It wasn’t a bug, it was just getting too many midi messages thrown at it at one time. Could this be a midi related problem somehow?

I’m not exactly sure that 2 units makes a sample size big enough for you to say all units have problems, mate. Good luck with that though.

All units have bugs, that’s why Elektron updates the machine!

I had hanging notes, without anything midi attached, no incoming audio, no notes in sequencer, no lfo’s applied etc, just playing the buttons.

2 Likes

@olibol It does weird things on occasion… sometimes really cool weird though.
Last week I was having a late night session on the sofa, and I managed to get a *stuck note that would repeat w/ an awesome echo/reverb… this was still going on w/ Play off. I would really like to replicate that sound :frowning:

PS: I’m still a noob, but it wasn’t w/ release = inf.

I also have hanging notes, sequencing the Digitone from Digitakt (firmware 1.10).

It happens almost always, even recording very stupid melodies like the one in the video below. After recording live from the Digitone’s keyboard (or from an external MIDI), I either have a hanging note (note duration 128 instead of my original of about 25), or the duration is much shorter instead. The video below shows the hanging note case. That simple loop is recorded without quantisation.

Has anyone solved this hanging/stuck note issue? I just bought a Digitone and the first thing I noticed using it is that eventually a note just gets stuck and wont stop playing. I have to hit the stop button twice to make it end. I wouldn’t really care if it did that on the last note after my sequence stopped playing but it gets stuck in the middle of my sequences and just ruins anything i’m working on.

3 Likes

Mine does it quite a bit, it tends to be when I’m using the arp on a track but it still occurs pretty randomly, I’ve learned to use it to my advantage as it’s quite useful for transitions because I can make it sound like I have 5 tracks running at once (depending on the voice allocation).

pff, if it occurs randomly how can you ffs learn to use this to your advantage??? We are talking about hanging notes here! This isn’t like the arp transitioning trick on A4!

I’m still on 1.10b, 1.20 was full of newer bugs that made the machine even more unstable and almost useless in live situations! How is 1.21 about hanging notes?
Edit: release notes doens’t say anything about hanging notes fixed!

2 Likes

When I said it occurs pretty randomly I meant that it’s difficult to ascertain exactly why it’s hanging but that, once hanging, it does so quite consistently.

I’ve only had hanging note issues when dealing with external midi control. When recording live notes in I usually check and readjust any trig lengths as well just in case but have never had any hanging notes using the internal sequencer. Aside from amp release set to inf which was purposeful. :man_shrugging:t2: are you on os 1.21? I’d be curious to see if there’s any reproducible issues on the latest firmware.