Gear hope and expectations 2022

This new OTO device…

https://www.otomachines.com/forums/topic/news-from-oto/

„ Beside the production issues, it’s also quite difficult these days to develop new products. Sometimes you can’t buy the components for the prototypes, and sometimes you don’t know if all the components will be available in the next months for the production. This is particularly a problem with the MCUs (a microcontroller that is the heart of our products), memory chips, converters,…

I have some interesting projects under the hood but I have to wait the end of the crisis in 2022 (I hope so…) to finish and release them. So I’ve worked on a smaller and simpler device, almost finished, using no MCU, memory chip nor converter. This will be quite different than the previous OTO products, and might surprise some of our customers.
More news this fall/winter, I hope so.

All the best,

Denis“

6 Likes

2021 was full of surprise firmware updates for most of my gear and it will be fun to see whether the trend continues next year :slight_smile:

my main priority for the upcoming year is finding a new laptop for music production

after upgrading that then i expect to get madrona sumu

i’m also interested in landscape noon & softpop v2 (depending on features/sound/price)

3 Likes

New in 22 :

Twisted Electrons Blast Beats

thread

1 Like

Blast Beats has the retro FM sound. Likely coming up in 2022 for the updated FM sound is the :

Kodamo VFM Keyboard

Also coming from Kodamo sometime is the Bitmasker pocket synth.

2 Likes

I noticed that Sweetwater has the Digitone on sale right now ($85 off). I wonder if there’s a DT2 in the pipeline?

Korg Drumlogue
New updates for Maschine+
New update for Deluge

Also curious what is Elektron Syntakt all about.

There’s one more Sequential machine coming real soon? Toraiz have been quiet, may be something cooking there also.

I wish Arturia could make a groovebox with all those classic vst-s + Pigments included.

1 Like

I think it is safe to assume that there will be at least one item of hardware by the end of 2022, that will show the effects of the conglomerations of 2021. So that includes things from :

• Fender / Presonus
  • Sequential / Novation / Focusrite
  • Native Instruments / Izotope

Also look for at least one more merger / reshuffle in 2022.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Related to the money side of electronic instruments, and completely my speculation, we will not see the reintroduction of a new and improved version of the Seaboard Rise Keyboard, from Luminary ( former known as ROLI ) as has been promised. I hope i am wrong about this.

ADDED : Just six weeks later and it looks like i will need to eat my words as ROLI does look like they will do a replacement product for the Seaboard. See my post down-thread.

Re: Sequential, Dave pretty clearly indicated there were two things in the pipeline at some point, one of which was the Take Five. The other one is pretty likely going to be the Ob-Xa reissue, although some of us are hoping they go for something a bit more spectacular than just a re-issue.

New in 22 :

Flame Vocorder

I mentioned the Poly-Cinematic upthread as a Eurorack module that could be incorporated as a central part of a synthesizer system. This is another.

The name Vocorder is a combination of the words ‘Vocoder’ and ‘Recorder’. What is recorded is up to 3 minutes of the levels of 8 filters at the input side of a vocoder. The recorded data can be played back, and manipulated in a variety of ways to control the output filters. The data is saved when powered off.

The 16 filters, 8 input and 8 output, are all analog. The data stored is digital.

This is similar to a function that is part of the Waldorf STVC, except in that case it is entirely digital.

I’m thinking again of putting together a small system, probably with a keyboard, that would make a complete synth. This is good at capturing the spectral data of signals other than vocals too. It can also be used as a regular live vocoder.

1 Like

Waiting for the Osmose.
Praying for Moog to solve all the issues with Matriarch.

2 Likes

Can I get a new firmware with few tweaks for the SP-16 as well please?! It’s such a great machine and it just needs a couple of tiny UX tweaks. I just want to be able to press Shift+Pad to change track without triggering the sound and individual track length for polymetric stuff and I’d be a happy camper!

I guess I’d also like to see the Syntakt too. I bought a Digitakt 4 times and I couldn’t gel with it. I also couldn’t get on with the Digitone synth engine (I’m not too smart) so something with a simpler virtual analog engine or drum-focused synth engine would be amazing. I love the form factor.

1 Like

I hope Roland release a boutique version of the jp8000/8080

3 Likes

I hope Digitone and Rytm get good updates.

3 Likes

Genuinely curious why you’re interested in the Knobula? It makes zero sense to me, but I realize everyone’s needs and wants are different.

Virtually no CV inputs, kinda has no business being in a rack in my opinion. I’m all for poly in eurorack, currently using an Instruo Troika, and a Cs-L for poly duties, but there’s not even any way to play the Knobula poly via euro. Just feels like a poly synth stuffed into a module just because they could. Would have made more sense as a small standalone IMO.

1 Like

I’d love to see Fatar and other keybed manufacturers start making polyphonic aftertouch keybeds available to synth makers.

2 Likes

I would like for the Polyend Tracker to get a better file transfer app. I would like OP-Z to get an update so someone will buy mine, and finally, I hope Koma Elektronik finally has more Strom Mobile and sensor packs to sell. That is all.

If you mean for yourself, you may want to check back with these guys regarding future group buys.

2 Likes

Thanks, i meant for all synth makers that use their keybeds, but mistyped and left out the important word aftertouch, meaning polyphonic aftertouch.

More New in 22 :

I just posted these two new ones in the Mysterious Instruments Thread. So here is a couple of the more weird and unpredictable new synths coming.

The Noon from Landscape

( post )

( thread )

Softpop 2 from Bastl

( post )

Note : It's fine if you dislike stuff, ...

… go ahead and post about why you don’t like it. But i’m just passing on information about new stuff – please no attacks on the messenger.

2 Likes

No idea about that, but they will release an updated version of their flagship sequencer with a beautiful name: Komplex.

2 Likes