Foot controller for +/- program change

I am wanting to play guitar and change patterns on my rig with a midi foot controller. My question, (hoping to avoid spending hours reading foot controller manuals, lol) does anyone know a foot controller that works well for sending program change messages?

More specifically, I want to be able to go up/down one program from the one I am on. So…step on controller, goto next pattern on my Digitakt.

Thanks!

I havent used it with my elektrons YET but I’ve had good luck with the Behringer FCB 1010. You can (agonizingly) program it on the unit itself, but I went with the iFCB app. Pretty much point, click, type your CC in the field, and off you go.

1 Like

I don’t think any do relative +/- as there’s no way to track easily via DT, a controller can increment decrease etc but if the DT was changed it will be out of sync

any existing topic (of a fair few) will be as useful as this one as Elektrons are pretty much one and the same for external control purposes, some being more complex than others

I thought about that as well but surely there is a device that has that functionality.

This sounds really good. I am going to check out the manual for this. Might have a winner.

I am going to look around and order something this weekend. I will post my results once I have found the winning device. Leaning towards that Audiofront device.

I got distracted and took me a little longer to get a pedal than I expected. I couldn’t find a manual for any of the Audiofront stuff. I’m sure it exists but I seriously couldn’t find it on their website.

Anyways…I ended up buying an ART X-11 Midi Master Control off of ebay for $30. Lol.

It’s pretty legit. Doing -/+ program changes. Can’t sync with program changes made on other devices.

Incremental program changes synced with other device program changes does add a layer of complexity to a device. I had considered getting an arduino and building my own pedal. You’d have to have a global variable that holds the current program and updates on input from other devices and the self device. …I don’t have time for all of that right now though. …ART X-11 will do for now. Lol

Hello gwarmonger
This sounds like what I’m looking for! I just want to change patterns in the octatrack nothing fancy. What I can’t Understand is: “Incremental program changes synced with other device program changes does add a layer of complexity to a device.” what does that exactly mean? Thank you!

What about controlling start/stop on the rytm? Is there a midi foot controller for that? I faintly remember reading a thread KMI Softstep + RYTM start stop MIDI message that said it was not possible? Guess I’ll have to have the rytm down at my bare feet then?

Sam

And thanks for the thread @gwarmongerz

edit: re-researching I have only found the Nektar Pacer to have midi transport foot control. https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-footswitch-controller/
Is this really the only one? And would this even work with elektron gear?

That was kind of confusing the way I phrased that. I guess what I mean was, I was hoping for a foot pedal device that would stay synced with other programming changes … so if I changed the program on the actual octatrack, it would update which program the foot pedal was set too.

So in that case, the foot pedal device would have to receive and send MIDI program message changes.

I am still happily using the ART X-11 Midi Master Control I picked up for cheap. It is not as advanced as what I was originally looking for…it can only send pattern changes, so I can’t change the pattern on the devices and update the pedal state. It also has no start or stop function so I have to press play on the octatrack. …also I wanted incremental mainly for the sake of not accidentally selecting the wrong pattern. In my case, my live set is made so that I am always going up. But it turns out, incremental is probably not the best idea…it is kind of a give or take. It would eliminate me selecting the wrong pattern. But on the other hand, if I want to skip a song or change my song order, then I would have to frantically hit an incremental step a bunch of time.

You might keep your eyes open for a ART X-11 Midi Master Control. I just checked on ebay and don’t see one now, but like I said, I got one for $30 and it is pretty decent.