Digitakt: Help needed with basic midi

Detail: when I send the “play” message with “Real time”, a little padlock appears on the right corner of the DT’s screen, replacing the symbol for tempo. DT is silent. After a while, the padlock disappears and playback starts.
Anyone knows what I’m dealing with here? Thanks!

Ok, problem #1 solved:
-the padlock was because I had “clock receive” checked in the DT. Since my set-up is simple, I don’t need it, I just need “transport receive” checked. So I unchecked the clock receive, and I now I can play and stop DT at will with the foot-controller

-Now with the +1 thing to move to the next pattern while playing… (please chime in in the meantime!)

2 Likes

That’s awesome that at least part of it is working, I’ve never seen the lock pop up on digitakt before. Is it confirmed your controller has that +1 function? I’m sure if dude saw it in your documentation, then it must be there (I didn’t look to confirm at the time he said that), and it would make sense for a foot pedal to employ up and down as a +1.

Most hardware sequencers are going to send those messages as program change which will cause patterns to change on DT, but since it’s not a sequencer they must have made a simpler onboard solution.

CC120 isn’t listed in the Digitakt midi chart but as a general midi cc parameter I think it’s usually a channel mode message that mutes all sounding notes (as opposed to 123 “all notes off”). I can’t see that stopping or resetting the transport to zero on it’s own but if it’s working that’s awesome, maybe it’s combination of the 2 signals you’re sending it (transport stop plus mute sounding notes) at the same time?

Hope it all works out for you, let us know what you figure out.

I don’t know about the Morningstar but it’s probably possible with an RK002 cable, but you’d need to program it cos there’s nothing available for it from the website, so might be a bit of hassle if you don’t have programming experience… but it’s a very good place to start if you wanted to get into it!

1 Like

Yes, CC120 as a global stop is working. (so far I haven’t met with a specific situation where it would cause a problem)… I can then hit play and the pattern starts from the beginning again. I can even do DJ-like stop and go if needed.
I’m just sending one midi message that says “stop”.

There has to be a “+1” somewhere, but right now it’s playing hide and seek with me.

You should search your manual PDF for incremental program change, that’s what it’s called in this thread. I don’t know if your manual will word it the same, but it’s worth a try I guess.

Like, do a Ctrl+F and search the word “incremental” as the criteria or something.

1 Like

I didn’t notice any option in the documentation to do incremental jump to program change. There was only option to set it by specific PC number.

Description

Sends a Program Change message of a specified number and channel. Program Change messages are usually used to call presets or patches in your Midi devices.

For a Morningstar ?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php/?id=286651921713323&story_fbid=1134312193613954

2 Likes

This should be it then:

PC Number Scroll

Allows you to send a PC message with a PC Number that is derived from Counters 0-F found under Controller Settings on the editor, under the Scroll Counter tab.

https://morningstarengineering.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/MMS/pages/181698784/MIDI+Type+Glossary#PC-Number-Scroll

1 Like

nice one, looks like that should do it then.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I’ve been focusing on, PC number scroll. (sorry my number of posts was limited yesterday and I wasn’t able to answer here)
I had to set the auto channel and the PC in channel on the Digitakt to 1, in order for the DT to receive the PC number scroll.
Now I’m facing a new conundrum: It’s working but… not exactly. Pattern A1 is playing. Press. DT jumps to pattern 4 (instead of 2). After that, it works, 4 to 5, 5 to 6, etc…
Or I’ll be playing Bank 3, pattern 6, and the first press jumps to bank A pattern 2… After that, normal behaviour.
For now, I don’t see why the first press is wild like that… any ideas?

:coffee: @Ultrasun the MC3 doesn’t know which pattern is selected on DT. Unless it can be updated with midi in ? (DT OUT > MC IN)
Otherwise, change patterns from MC3 only.

This is what the page looks like on the mc3. I have no idea what 1–> counter 1 means, but whatever the selection (counter2, or 3 etc…), I’m not seeing any change.
It seems like sending increments affects both banks and patterns, at least with the first press. I need to take banks out of the picture, so that the mc3 only scrolls through 64 patterns… Not sure I can do that.

No matter what bank I’m in, when I press the footswitch for the first time, it sends me back to bank A. And once I’m in bank A, it works.
So I guess by sending the first message, the midi message is sending a “1”, + some increment in the pattern (ex: I go from bank H pattern 1 to bank A pattern 4)…

Do you mean I should use the midi thru on the DT, instead of the IN ? Because other than that, I can’t find where to set DT out - MC in.

No. Thru only send back what comes in.

I don’t know if there is a way to tell MC3 where it should start depending on DT current pattern.
You can send PCs from DT, via midi out only. The question is : Is it possible to update MC3 current PC value after it received a PC from DT ? I don’t know.

Considering midi, think program changes, not banks. DT banks are just usefull for pattern selection on DT, but pattern changes are made with Program Changes only, from 1 to 128. Some midi machines uses bank messages additionally to PCs, not DT’s case.

PC 1-16, patterns A 1-16
PC 17-32, patterns B 1-16
Etc…

It seems normal if MC3 starts from 1…

1 Like

I’m stuck for now. Any additional idea is welcome. I’ll get back to it in a few days… Thanks for getting me so far already!

Hi guys! I’m back…
I’ve managed to do one thing, with the help of Elektron; I can set a PC scroll (deprecated) message, set a maximum number (8), and the midi controller can scroll up the 8 patterns of Bank A.
But now if I move to bank C for the next song (and my previous pattern was A6), when I press, I’m getting A pattern 7… So the patterns are still moving up in number, but the Digitakt goes back to Bank A.
I’m stilling looking for a +1 operation, regardless of where I am on the Digitakt…

Already answered. For that the MC3 have to know which DT pattern is selected, and it doesn’t seem possible.

You can select DT patterns from MC3 only. Eventually add a +/- 16 function to change banks quickly.

1 Like

Sorry about that, that’s a lot to process and I’m confused.

Do you think a better solution would be to create 8 banks on the mc3, one for each bank on the Digitakt, and then assign CC 1 to 8 for bank 1, 9 to 16 for bank 2, etc… In that case, I could go to Bank C pattern 1 on the DT by selecting bank #3 ont the mc3?

1 Like