FM workshop livestream + Live/DJ sets

Brilliant! Looking forward to it. How does one tune in?

I’d appreciate very much the possibility to watch your lesson later as you did for your first workshop. (I think) many of us simply can’t join at the proposed time.

I enjoyed your last show, it was really enlightening!

1 Like

There is nothing I find more useful than interesting Digitone tricks/tips/sound design tuts, so very much looking forward to later! Thanks @Ess!

Ah yes! Tune in at Twitch.tv/ess_mtsn
8PM CET

5 Likes

It’s a date. Thank you!

1 Like

Ess FM workshop, now live

3 Likes

Great and informative stream, thanks Ess!

That was genuinely awesome, @Ess! I highly recommend any DN owner rewatching that stream. Thank you so much for responding to my (and everyone else’s) questions. Very inspirational. (I’m the 100percentfailure guy on Twitch, btw) :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

That was great. I was watching from my phone while taking a walk about the neighborhood, enjoying some sun. Best combo activity I’ve had in a while!

Got home before it was over, plugged my iPhone into my little rig to charge, and the audio was by default going through the Octatrack. Might have sampled a few voice bits for later mangling :wink:

1 Like

Nice idea! Damn

oldest trick in the techno book, find someone talking about pseudo pulse width modulation and sample it

7 Likes

yep - I sat down to watch a film (had to move the link above to the appropriate thread) and decided to cast it to the TV - then realised i never knew how much i underestimated the flexibility of the DN in particular in taking it into areas of my sonic interest - really changes my perception (as did the MC) of how much i was needing some well configured FM machines - the walkthrough of the darker corners of its palette really sold it to me

thoroughly enjoyed teh stream front to end and learned a nifty trick wrt the stacking of FX which i will investigate on A4 - super impressed by the potential unlocked by the analog filters and overdrive circuits, i assumed these would be far poorer cousins of the analog equivalents and sort of added frills, but they are really offering a lot to teh overall potential

i’m now a bit confused about how teh Cycles got the reputation for being a bit grittier, there’s a lot of bite and excitement from teh DN voicing

quite an epiphany, the MC put it on my radar, but the stream has completely sold me on its potential - not a glassy pad in sight

a bit gutted that there doesn’t seem to be a way to realtime record soundlocks from the pool as you can with the A4 and AR - has anyone tried doing this with a DN and maybe a keyboard set to Auto channel, whilst browsing pool sounds in live record mode - this is super fast and intuitive on A4

i struggle with the soundlock via step mode workflow - it’d be great if this was possible on the Digitone

Excellent stream and some incredible music too, very relaxed and enjoyable :thup:

i think those ratios masking the third decimal place might drive me totally bonkers though - couldn’t there be a way to have a dot above/below the final digit to indicate non-zero or true zero !

+1 for releasing that hacky screen viewer

6 Likes

(Streaming the rerun now, nice!)

1 Like

Catching the rerun after work as well, @Ess thanks for doing these! Also I’m sure I’m not the only one who would be totally into a sound pack full of all those hazy dirty noisy things I am hearing in these videos.

I think I must be getting old. Am I the only one that got nothing from watching this? Cant say I’m a fan of freeform workshop style.

Love the digitone, and just ordered a model:cycles. Guess I just learn by just figuring things out myself.

I’m waiting for the Mark Doty rant about you cant do PWM on an FM operator synth because there is no pulse width to modulate…

Maybe? :woman_shrugging:

@taro explained it well here:

Sorry it wasn’t for you! It was definitely more of a ‘hang out’ style stream, I thought it was fun to have people ask things about the stuff I’m playing and such, but of course that’s pretty far off from a workshop. I think if I do something more focused I’d like to do it shot properly and not on stream.

Hah, you can actually make both a pulse wave and modulate its width with FM. I love Marc’s energy when he gets riled up on things; I vividly remember being very drunk at Thomann with him while he was shouting about how he hated both FM and the TB-303. It was hilarious, he’s great.

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone who joined in, was really fun!

The Cycles clip easier, so you can get it dirty sounding with a bit less tricks than the Digitone. Plus, it is in fact not as much oversampled internally so it does have a different tone to it, which is a bit less pristine. However both can sound glossy, both can sound harsh - just different ways of getting there.

10 Likes

Really enjoyed this, so many handy little tricks to try out! Did you ever figure out the AE track you had in mind for that bass patch? There’s a super gnarly bass sound running through this comp track that I’ve been wanting to reverse engineer for ages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBH-kC_rUQM

1 Like