FM workshop livestream + Live/DJ sets

:alarm_clock: Welp, I guess I need to enable notifications :alarm_clock:. Time to catch up on the VODs :slight_smile:

1 Like

To me it was a very valuable workshop, thanks a ton!

@Ess would you pleaaase consider sharing/0-day’ing that 2-step project? I heard so many things in there I’d like to study a bit closer :astonished:

1 Like

Yes! 6852

6 Likes

@Ess Thanks for sharing! I’ll have to watch it again (a few times over probably) when my brain is more ‘powered on’ and fiddle along on my DN to fully grasp and twist to result. Great tunes and snippets. Are you featured on Elektron Grammofon?

I thought that, what turned out to be ‘a drummachine’ thing was a DIY midi controller of some sorts? Seeing the four sets of knob rows and all. (As i’d like to build some dedicated arduino controllers when i finally get my head around it (and raid the electronics supply store), to be dedicated towards controlling all cc/events on the DN + DT + AH (Mopho & TB03))

I know a few people here (me including) are very curious about your inhouse devtool, the nice screenshot. Would it be possible to say for instance expand the tool and show all the menu’s/parameter pages at the same time in an overview (and possibly highlighting with a ‘led’ whenever there’s a param change/event)? Is that also built/controlled with Max as well? I would definitely like to get to know more about Max if so, but for now the learning curve is too steep for me besides problems focussing and being easily distracted.

I like the small peeks behind the curtain of how a elektron product comes into development.
(ofcourse don’t share the entire IP for obvious reasons, but i’d settle for a few more teasers in the production pipeline/workflow)

DigiTone™
So your next show will be about?
I’d propose DT, for i would like to know a little more inside info and tricks. Even if it’s not structured like a ‘common’ tutorial but moreover a freestyle session with a Q&A i think it’s great and inspirational. It’s always nice to see someone talk passionately about what they enjoy doing.

Model:Cycles™
But a laidback Model:Cycles session would also be nice to know a little more about, but i understand your concerns given current covid situations picking it up at the office and having to go outside. It is kinda funny that you, as a developer, don’t have a few of them ‘cycles’ lying around. I’m looking into buying one at some point in time before they run out of stock, those buttons shure look nice, though happy with my DN for now.

If you’re feeling like feeding the Elektron nostalgics and craving a little more?
Another nice sesh would be: MnM or SIDstation even !!!
Since i missed out on the oportunity to get one of those (shoot me) and reading it’s features sure sounds exciting. (Everybody keeps asking for an MnM MKIII)

Nice drummachine/MC202
But hey MC202 or that nifty little drummachine, hell yeah go for it! (you obviously put it up there right in front for everybody to notice :stuck_out_tongue: ) The short demo you made had some sweet quirky chippy dirt (not the standard drummachine noises you’d expect) which sounded great. And you can really tell you’re excited about this piece of machine. It’s ‘your show’ but don’t feel obligated in any way to entertain us all :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked the micromusic you made with the DN. It would be an interesting additional feature (mode) if there was a way to shape sounds like the 6581 did in addition to the Trigs. (you know: e.g. the kickbass NES-trick, quick pitch to simulate a kick on top of your bass sound) (You can fake/emulate this obviously to some extent by pumping the BPM and using the Trigs to make the anatomy of soundmorping but then you’d have to have a second sequencer that triggers starts/stops a sequence by cc and use some kind of transposing? So another 'PAGE-like function where you can add a small WT/table of param changes and let the Trigs do the usal ‘overrides’?
? Maybe i could build a max ‘prototype’ arduino midi controller device to pull this off ? Would be a fun additional little box to strangle the FM even further into nice glitchy dirt ?

(yup this bastard snuck in a sneeky little feature request, disguised as a common forum post/reply)

Anyway thanks again for the Sessions, inspiration and cheerfully insightful stuff, and just keep doing whatever you feel like doing! I’ll make shure to tune in at the right time.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Enjoyed hearing your sounds and patterns on the digitone, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing

Taking notes ! :writing_hand: Thanks !

It might be worth revisiting the A4 (mk1 for nostalgia sake) and showing what can be done with the FM implementation on that device.

1 Like

The Stream inspired me to take on the techniques you discussed. Clipping the DN is so fun!

Thanks @Ess

3 Likes

This has been a great series of workshops so far! Really got me into programming more on the Digitone with jaw dropping results. Understanding phase brought these sounds into a whole new territory. The Digitone has just become a lot more fun for me. Thanks for taking the time to do this @Ess !

2 Likes

Can’t believe I missed this!
(Thank you @avantronica for talking to me about this).

I really enjoyed this stream (fortunately still watchable).
First because I’m so much into FM since a few weeks before DN launched (it’s been my fav synth from day 1).
But also because it’s been a few months now that I just love pushing things hard to red 11…
Model:Cycles is so gritty it’s just calls for this, but on the Digitone I haven’t tried to reach such filthy sounds.

Especially liked the extremely distorted snares, first thing I’ll try to reach.
A suggestion could be to see you start from scratch on a pattern, maybe, and show how you program your beats, what your workflow looks like.
Thank you @Ess for this, hope you’ll do some more sessions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I second the suggestion of seeing @Ess go from nothing to full pattern with no premeditated stuff worked out beforehand. Seeing someone who knows the thing inside out go into the dark corners of the device and, more importantly, talking about why this choice was made over that one etc etc.

Also, I’m finally about to score an M:C next week, so seeing some tricks on that would also be appreciated (if someone’s able to grab your unit from the office that is :slightly_smiling_face:)

4 Likes

Thanks for all the kind words! I should do another one tomorrow. Last week was a bit low mentally so didn’t have the energy. These times!

I would be down for just making music live, haha. Maybe that could be fun.

11 Likes

Looking forward to this!

Another Big Thanks for doing this. You’re a big inspiration for a lot of us. Take care !

2 Likes

Yes please, and more sound design tips! Your tracks really blew me away digitone is a powerhouse only thing missing is slides (these are coming in the next update right? :wink:)

1 Like

I agree with your suggestion to do a track from scratch ala Dataline improv

So you are getting the M:C. I am trying to justify getting it but Digitone will make it redundant…WHy are you getting it? FM ? or GAS? replacing a gear you unhappy with?

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve seen many of my posts before but I have DN and M:C is coming this week. My main reasons for getting M:C in addition to DN are workflow and inspiration. I use DN for drums all the time, but with the limited track count and my loathing of sound locks just to cram stuff together, I can now outsource that job to the M:C. At the moment, I’m doing things blind: creating a beat on DN, sampling to OT, then switching patterns on DN to get synth stuff going over the top. This new setup will mean I can have drums and synths running together before sampling stuff so I’ll have more flexibility to change things up. Also, while DN is great for some chordal things, I’m not the best at theory, so the M:C’s chord machine looks awesome to me. DN’s not great at generating inversions for example, but I’d miss its arp if I only had M:C. Also, with 6 tracks, I’m sure I could create near enough full tracks with the M:C alone, then choose to add DN or Juno afterwards, and then mangle everything with OT. Can. Not. Wait!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your intended setup and workflow…which does help me to curb the GAS for M:C since I have DT. as well as A4 …and OT. I was considering using OT for further layering via the “looper sampler”.
I hope you get your M:C soon :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Let’s try to stay on track, please, gentlemen.

(but indeed, M:C fast workflow / drum orientation / different sound / chord inversion make it desirable even when you already have a DN :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Yep, sorry! Back on track… Any idea when you’ll be going live today, @ess?

1 Like