CoronaVirus Thread

Oh, one more, imo. NPR was originally created in the early 1970s when US public radio stations were trying to cover the Vietnam War - it was their solution for pooling resources to send one shared reporting team to cover the war.

https://www.npr.org/

2 Likes

First week I was kind of addictted to the news, and it is a toxic path to follow…
Keep that to a minimum, do not let that control your life. A timetable is working for me…

:frowning: that’s crazy.

Time for levity…flag if necessary…

12 Likes

I hear you. A few days ago I woke up really groggy with what I recognise to be my own music creative thoughts playing audibly in my head. Next night woke up with a full on panic attack as had been watching news before going to bed…very bad idea.

Having not grasped onto the creative path that my rested soul and brain had provided I gave into the overhwelming events that are happening. I felt 'whats the point anyway? Every creative thing I worked on last year to help in my future and livelyhood and creative fulfilment has been screwed by this stupid thing. Then I recognised this as not only self pity but giving in to resistance. That thing which is explained so clearly in Pressfields War Of Art. (pressfields war of art was not written during a global pandemic but he still had every reason to give up, over and over)

Each of us need to go with real kindness on ourselves right now. Truth is, it’s scary times and we are right to be very concerned.

If ideas do happen to come and time and space allows , then we can try to fully or partly realise them and graciously accept them.
If there is an overhwelming desire to share something, anything with the world for the benefit of others…then follow the path and be courageous.

If time and space allows and If we cannot face creative ideas then we can all learn new things by reading, watching, listening.

talking to myself here!

3 Likes

I just want to get the damn thing and be over it. The media has been pathetic, just take me already lol!!

2 Likes

Absolutely drained and despondent, and really have no interest either in making music, which is adding to already out of control anxiety questioning wether my making music even matters at all and feeding my growing sense of fuck everything.

Ask youself do your creative persuits matter to you? or is the anxiety because of what other people create?

If being creative doesnt matter then screw it. who cares! But deep down if it does matter then go easy on yourself, and stay friends, treat it like a mate who is isolating.

4 Likes

This seems to be the vibe for a lot of people now. Despite the situation being objectively horrendous, I think for a lot of people there was an initial camaraderie and strange kind of intoxication in the fact that things were different. But the abstraction is being removed and reality is setting in. Many of us know someone who’s sick, or have been sick ourselves.

So naturally music might not be the same priority as before. I’m also struggling to find the desire. There’s also some guilt involved, that I feel like I should be doing something more useful. But I’m hoping music can still be the calming outlet it’s been in the past, with no other goals than that.

1 Like

It is not just about being creative, it is about getting away from the vicious circle of news, death graphs and social paranoia…
I am saying because I have been like this for a week, better to stop before it gets into you. Not like if you do not care but do not make it your life…

Unless you are a doctor or a nurse there is little people can do, just help your friends, family and be there for them.

2 Likes

Nothing matters, the universe is unimaginably huge and doesn’t care one bit about any of us. This is what sets us free. If nothing matters, then we can do whatever makes us happy, as there is no higher reason or purpose to our lives, no debt to pay, no reason to feel bad. Happiness is infectious, find it and surround yourself with it.

Anxiety is irrational and doesn’t want you to be happy. Fuck anxiety. Anything you create has value in and of itself and is always worthwhile, even if it doesn’t feel like it at the time. Don’t worry about what could happen, focus on what is happening, take control of what you can and let the rest fuck off and look after itself.

12 Likes

That s exponential growth for you there. These numbers seem out of control on a linear scale but on a logarythmic one it makes way more sense. I ve read an article where the infection count over time in multiple countries was graphed on a log scale. They showed pretty much parallel straight lines for all countries : a 10x increase for each 12 days. I ll try to find a link. Was in a Dutch newspaper.

Here you have both graphs, linear and logarithmic; updated every day. In Spanish, just use a translator of choice but is quite self explanatory.

The grey line reads “x2 every 3 days”

1 Like

They just put out this great tool from Dartmouth. Very useful and informative, especially for those in rural communities who have concerns.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/819940409/icu-bed-capacity-varies-widely-nationwide-see-how-your-area-stacks-up

1 Like

I like to put things in perspective. A lot of our Grandparents and Great Grandparents went through a lot worse, well let’s be honest way way worse. 2nd World War, Economic Depression, odds of dying from a simple infection etc… And this list goes on.

Heard Immunities will start the virus on a downward Trend. After more get infected the less host for the virus and so on.

Turn off the news, they only want to push bad news for click bait and ratings. Check in with your local CDC and take there advice.

right. I still can’t get over the recent talking point in America: a collapsing stock market is worse than rampant infection, therefore we need to go back to work asap and consider those deaths a necessary sacrifice to save our economy.

it’s so insane. they would rather let millions of their own citizens die rather than reform the system to redistribute wealth to the poor and risk losing their status as a global power broker. we’re entering the final stage of capitalism, where people openly admit that money is more important than human lives. literally a death cult.

9 Likes

Which numbers, the ones from Dartmouth or others?

Where I live, we have 39 ICU beds per 100,000 people. And I have no reason to believe this isn’t the case as we have 15 hospitals in our county’s population of 950,000.
That’s 24.7 ICU beds per hospital on average.

I’ve been in two of these hospital’s ICU’s and both have more than 30.

It IS a lot. No county in the USA has that.
The tool I linked is provided numbers per 100,000 people.

edit: I See you’re sleep deprived… get some rest, friend!

Before when I read the article it said 60/1000 people, I double checked because I knew that information was wrong… I think it was a typo they later fixed. But it is true I need some sleep…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

They arent sure yet, if you get it, that you won’t get it again. :grimacing:

Just cuz they did, doesn’t mean we will. But, they were actually a lot tuffer in my opin, and dealt with shit. The worlds gotten soft, hand sanitizers, everyone’s a winner, avoid pain: oxi…they did stuff when they had to. A good number today, expect things to be done for them…

So…mind yourself.

2 Likes

Every generation thinks the next is soft. Maybe true to an extent but each generation is smarter and more efficient building on the past knowledge. Finding ways to improve lives and longevity. That is, of course, not my kid’s generation. Their weak entitled brats. I’m Joking, I’m joking!!

1 Like