FaderFox EC4

Cheers!
Have fun!

I have NF-1(m) and AS-1.

1 Like

Both great synths, and perfect for this device. I no longer have neither. Thank you so much though.

1 Like

I forgot, I also have a setup for Tasty Chips GR-1

2 Likes

Keep going. Eventually we’ll come to an overlap.

2 Likes

Sorry, no more presets on mine, but here’s a thread with a preset for Digitone and one for DSI Mopho, and @rob_lee says here they created a few more more. It’s a shame Faderfox failed to set up a patch exchange.

1 Like

You’re awesome. Thank you!

You could create a Faderfox group at synthgroups.com and then upload configs to the file section

1 Like

Good idea, I have created a public group:

https://synthgroups.com/groups/faderfox/

@jdaddyaz empty for now, but I will upoad my presets later. Maybe you have presets you’d like to share?

3 Likes

Why you got to put me on the spot like that?
Are you trying to expose how much of an actual leech I am?

Plus, and I’m sad to say this, my patches…I forgot what they’re for.

I know. It pains me to admit that.

1 Like

You sure can’t leech anything off me, because we appear to have no overlap :grinning:

I’ve been there. On the EC4 you can at least name them, but on the PC6 you’re screwed if you don’t take notes.

1 Like

I finally managed to get my files packed and uploaded to SynthGroups - Faderfox

I also posted instructions there for how to package setups individually, so that other people have a nice and consistent experience. With that guide, it takes about 5-10 minutes to extract and pack a setup from your EC4.

Currently available setups:

• Toraiz AS-1
  • Tasty Chips GR-1
  • Modor NF-1 (m)

I haven’t quite worked out how Synthgroups works, DM me here on Elektronauts if you need anything.

5 Likes

Hi guys, maybe I’m missing something, but I’m wondering about sending CC values larger than 127.

The manual even mentions e.g.
CCAh two control change commands (MSB/LSB) 14 bit highres mode (values 0 to 16383)

I expected the upper value setting of the EC4 to change accordingly and allow for higher values, but it only caps out at 127.

Also I’m kind of puzzled by the Disp setting in edit mode.

• 100 as in percentage seems legit
  • having an option to see bipolar values is also nice
  • ON/OFF is a great addition

The other options seem to be weirdly mapped to the actual range…OH right it only has 4 digits per displayed value…

So in the end the lower-upper range of 0-127 is mapped to the actual range of the CC type which is then mapped for display to the range defined by the disp setting. Am I making sense? Is that how it works?

U/L: 0...................127
CCAh: 0.................16383
Disp: 0........500.......1000
    -50.........0.........+50
     OFF..................ON

The implementation is a bit odd, the display does not show the values that are sent for most display modes, only for 127 and ±63 that is correct. The min and max values are MSB only for 14 bit values, so you can limit to 128, or 256, but not in between.

Also for 14 bit values, the Disp parameter also controls what values are sent. Set it to 127 or ±63, and the controller will send MSB only, set it to 1000, and it will send the whole range of 14 bit.

I’m too tired at the moment to explain this in detail, but here’s a copy of a cheatsheet I hacked together from the manual and from what I learned from Faderfox support while creating my first setups. It contains some tables that give examples. It’s still very rough, expect typos and inconsistencies. Faderfox EC4 Cheatsheet r1.pdf (284.9 KB)

9 Likes

Anyone know/tried if the EC4 could be powered from OT or Rytm (mk1) USB port?
I’ve a feeling not, but would be great if it worked!

You are correct. The OT and AR are USB peripherals: they cannot provide power to another device.

1 Like

I just bought an EC4 for ableton 11 control (synths specially) and I’ve a question: How to switch betweenn banks of 8 parameters through a dedicated next/previous page button as do all the controllers I’ve managed: arturia minikey, twisted, novation, etc.
Thank you

Hey Ivor,

Congrats, EC4 is a solid companion for Ableton Live! What you’re accustomed to calling banks, is named setups and groups on the EC4.

First, choose the encoder setup and/or group by pressing one of the grey SETUP or GROUP keys. The display will show 16 setup or group names in a 4x4 matrix, with the currently selected setup/group name blinking. Selecting is finished by pressing one of the associated encoders. After selection, the display comes back to show the 16 encoder names or values. Leave setup/group selection without a new select by pressing one of the green keys. The last group selection will be stored for each setup separately. The device offers 16 setups x 16 groups x 16 encoders which is a total of 4096 independent encoder programmings. As stated in the manual.

Here’s a nifty web based editor for EC4…
https://www.privatepublic.de/faderfox-editor/ec4/

Have fun!

1 Like