FaderFox EC4

Genius. You get coarse and fine controls. I’m stealing that – thanks!

3 Likes

I have one of these + cables for sale for pickup in Berlin. Good condition. €300.

I have a question, I can’t figure out how I can use the EC4 to control both DN and AR in standalone config. currently my DN sends clock and transport to AR, and I want to create a group to control DN modulation macros (AT/BW) for each channel and have some of the delays/reverbs from both devices on the same page.

so I have:
EC4 Out > DN In and from DN Out > AR In but I can’t reach AR’s FX channel, or any channel…

if I use DN Midi Thru > AR In then I can reach AR but I don’t have clock / transport.

is this achievable? or do I need some middle-man midi box or something?

I am not sure I fully understand what you want to do, but keep in mind that the EC4 can merge incoming Midi signals (it has a Midi in) with the commands it sends. Maybe this allows avoiding additional Midi boxes…

so let’s say I want two top rows to go like this: (AT=AfterTouch, MW=ModWheel)
1: DN T1 AT 2: DN T1 MW 3: DN T2 AT 4: DN T2 MW
5: DN T3 AT 6: DN T3 MW 7: DN T4 AT 8: DN T4 MW
that gives me enough room to create macros and control them, cool.
now the bottom rows I want to use to control delays/reverbs on both machines:
9: DN Delay Time 10: DN Delay Feedback 11: AR Delay Time 12: AR Delay Feedback
13: DN Delay HPF 14: DN Reverb Decay 15: AR Delay HPF 16: AR Reverb Decay

so to do this for DN is easy, everything corresponds with their channels 1-4 for the tracks, channel 10 is FX, easy.
but I can’t reach AR FX channel 13 unless I’m using MIDI Thru from the DN, but then I loose clock/transport sync because the MIDI Thru does not sending them…

btw there’s nothing going into EC4 at the moment, it’s connected like in the diagram…

Edit: I just realized you’re sending clock and what I wrote wasn’t a great suggestion. Using the merge functionally on EC4 is probably best unless you have more MIDI devices

1 Like

so how should I connect it?

DN Out > EC4 In, EC4 Out > AR In, AR Thru > DN In?

this is my whole setup so no other devices involved at the moment, I have TR6s as well but I don’t really connect it, the classic roland samples are good enough in the AR

I’d go this route:
https://midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

So EC4 Out -> DN In -> DN Thru + Out -> Merger -> AR.

Merger takes power from the DIN ports of your DN and merger also has a second output to send the clock and transport from your DN to your TR6S :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes

I did a pedestal on my rig for the uc4 it has velcro on it its very solid

1 Like

Nice! I ended up velcro-ing my two faderfox units together and put them on a small laptop stand. Was sturdy enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a place where people can upload/download their EC4 configs? Ive got a few devices Ive been meaning to do, but it’d be cool if someone else has already done the leg work.

2 Likes

that sounds good actually, I think I’ll try this method, thanks!

1 Like

Cheers!
Have fun!

I have NF-1(m) and AS-1.

1 Like

Both great synths, and perfect for this device. I no longer have neither. Thank you so much though.

1 Like

I forgot, I also have a setup for Tasty Chips GR-1

2 Likes

Keep going. Eventually we’ll come to an overlap.

2 Likes

Sorry, no more presets on mine, but here’s a thread with a preset for Digitone and one for DSI Mopho, and @rob_lee says here they created a few more more. It’s a shame Faderfox failed to set up a patch exchange.

1 Like

You’re awesome. Thank you!

You could create a Faderfox group at synthgroups.com and then upload configs to the file section

1 Like