Mapping out CC's on Faderfox EC4

Hey all,

I decided today that I’d start mapping my synths and drum machines midi cc’s to my Faderfox controllers via the app so Iv’e got the synth manuals out but I’m now mapping the Jomox (see screenshot) I’m wondering now what the following means?

There is one cc saying absolute and another saying absolute 14 bit resolution.
Any ideas what I should be doing here? The MBASE in the picture saying internal resolution of 256

I also have a PC4 and UC4 but thought I’d start mapping with this one first.
I’ll be mapping out the Bass Station and Drum Station racks later so I think I’ll keep the PC4 for those as Iv’e noticed their knobs aren’t continuous so maybe it’s just a matter of seeing what I have that is 7bit and what is 14bit?

Thanks

Rob

But you are not using it internally; you are using an external controller.

Just use a normal (7-bit) CC.

1 Like

Thank You Peter I got it :slight_smile:

Hey Rob, I don’t have a Jomox MBase so I’m not sure how it responds to midi, but just looking at your screenshots you’ll notice that the MBase has an internal resolution of 256 for most parameters.

7bit midi tops out at a resolution of 0-127 (this is the standard). In other words, setting up your Faderfox in CCab your knobs will turn from 0-127 (so 128 values in total including 0) and each unit/turn on the Faderfox will move your MBase’s parameter by 2units (because: 2x128=256).

By going 14bit (CCAh or NRPN), you increase the resolution of your controls to up to 16384 values. So technically you get finer stepping for your parameters by going with CCAh (which I think is the same as RPN but not sure).

But your device needs to be able to understand RPN or NRPN messages, which I don’t know if the Jomox MBase does. Will look that up and report back in a moment.

EDIT: so had a look at the manual, I think 7bit midi is the way to go as I can’t see anything in there on high resolution midi support.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detail mate I hear what your saying there. These Faderfoxes also do NRPN etc I’m just checking out the MBASE manual here.

Iv’e managed to set a few of my synths up using the EC4 however I’m definitely having problems with the DSI Mopho Desktop. I can assign Midi CC no problem and it all works however I don’t get all the features unless I use NRPN and I know that the EC4 can NRPN but I’m not understanding them.
Unless I use NRPN Iv’e no access to the LFO’s etc and I need to change presets etc via the EC4.

Works fine setup with CC’s

Can’t understand this one…

For instance I put 0 msb and 15 lsb which gave me the filter ok but I’m stuck on this one I can’t enter say number 384 for master transpose it keeps jumping back to 127 hitting enter…

Also the Mopho desktop will only let you select midi cc or NRPN in Global so I am gonna have to learn NRPN instead to access the LFO’s etc but need advice. I’m in the manual as I work but I’m doing something wrong.

Midi CC’s are perfectly working on the EC4 though.

Thanks

First piece of advice: search the forum for existing solutions.

I entered “Mopho NRPN” in the search box and this was the second hit:

This was in the fifth hit:

Here’s how NRPN numbers can be broken into two bytes (MSB and LSB):

2 Likes