Erica Synths SYNTRX

PREACH!

I was watching on the other day, the youtuber in question was about to show a little trick, which didnt actually work, so they claimed they were sure they had it working earlier. They had spent a lot of time playing with the this particular subtle paramter, they had learned it definitely did something, yet they couldnt explain what or why…

So… the youtuber in question had learned FA then… I stopped watching.

A synth review should show the details, pros and cons, etc of a synth. Not be a ‘look at me and all this cool stuff’ video.

3 Likes

100% agreed. a lot of this is why I place more weight into the Alex Ball review of the Syntrx.

1 Like

I would say just be careful with the reverb feedback, the filter isnt actually that dangerous. I think you could start by putting the reverb on the output 1/2 with levels fully down and reverb mix and feedback all the way up then slowly turn up the volumes. This is basically as loud as the machine will get. Because of the inverse relationship between gain and resonance volume on the filter you don’t really need to worry about blowing out your ears there.

3 Likes

Very nice!

This is exactly why my cursor has been hovering over the buy button since the announcement. I’ve always been fascinated by the synthi way (nice way of putting it!), but it always has been unreachable obviously. Syntrx is really the only possibility of getting something so similar. (Unless B clones the synthi, but I just couldn’t get myself to buy that anyway). It kind of feels like this might be the only chance to get this type of instrument. Unless they’re working on an mkii but I find that highly unlikely.

Regarding shoe, not one to cririzine channels often, but just can’t get through any of his videos tbh…

edit: I pushed the button.

16 Likes

would be pretty cool if they did though. with a different flavor of modules but otherwise the same machine.

congrats! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

At least having the Matrix Mixer ( thread ) out of the SYNTRX still available ( they better not drop that ) makes doing your own rough version of something related conceptually to the SYNTRX possible. The whole SYNTRX is special, but the electronically patchable matrix is probably the most difficult part to replicate in modular.

1 Like

Yeah I could see them parting out some of the other unique unique parts into eurorack also down the line and maybe selling it as a preset system VS the synthi type design. I did confirm with them that the filter is indeed a 3 pole diode design (like a synthi) but it has it’s own unique take on it. I would be curious to know more but sadly they left the details vague. I kind of expect we see this filter show up as a module at some point.

3 Likes

I think the filter doesn’t get enough praise. I love it so much.

2 Likes

Congrats - into the infinite!

2 Likes

Thanks man :blush: can’t wait!

2 Likes

:+1::+1: me too!

4 Likes

I would too, if I could decide which of my Juno 106 or Rev2 would leave to fund one. And I can’t decide. :-/

Funnily enough, Shoebridge’s video convinced me too. I generally despise his videos but that one was actually enjoyable to watch. All the points he didn’t like reminded what’s so special about it.

After having to leave the Synthi queue, I’m under no illusion this will replace the sound of the EMS but it will get me a similar enough tactile experience to what I loved about playing with EMS gear in the past. Plus it’s supporting an awesome company.

If anyone’s concerned, I got confirmation from Erica too that this is definitely the last Synthi style product they will do. Whether they use some of the tech like the Matrix in other gear is another matter.

4 Likes

It seems odd to me that the Desktop Matrix Mixer doesn’t have a Euro counterpart. I’d guess that if the matrix itself fits in 3u, the upper patch points would have to move to the right in order to fit, and following many fine lines in a dark club at 3AM would be unpleasant. So that demonstrates Product Wisdom on the part of Erica / Girts.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the upper patch points cannot be moved to the right.

I was imagining a product designer re-arranging the components of the Desktop Matrix Mixer so that it would fit within the Euro form-factor, rather than a customer.

A sufficiently motivated customer (go see: modwiggler’s DIY subforum) could possibly do the mod, and throw UX/ergonomics to the winds. But Erica seems to have decided against that approach.

There was a short-lived one, but it disappeared almost as quickly as it came out. @Stumm42’s got pretty much all of them, I think.

4 Likes

I love it when an exception proves the rule!

2 Likes

Lol, did have sold one for my other erica synths desktop matrix mixer, they are becoming rare.

2 Likes

EricaSynths - Desktop Matrix Mixer but they also released this.