Erica Synths SYNTRX

IMO yes and I love it. But this is very subjective. I bought it, because it has those many modulation options, which are normally not available on other synths. For me it’s more of a sound designers tool rather than a bread-and-butter machine.

Those three VCOs and the filter generate a great sound, if just used like a typical subtractive synth. I got very deep organic basses with lot of bottom end, as an example.

But the Syntrx shines, when we experiment with the matrix. 16 modulation sources vs 16 modulation destinations, all can be a mix of audio and CV signals, and we can patch modulations, which are not possible with standard synths and sometimes hard with modular gear.

And even the most complex patch can be stored :smiley: (well the connections of the matrix of course, not the position of the knobs)

2 Likes

Yes, the digitally controlled matrix makes sense in many ways and many users seem to really like it.

As someone who’s thinking about getting one possibly at some point, the upcoming B release is a factor. It’s true no one knows when it’ll be shipping but as the price difference will in any case be so big I’m curious to hear about the user experience with the Erica.

It’s obvious that the osc’s, filter, ring-mod and spring reverb sound nice but watching Tim Shoebridge’s video there was quite many things he didn’t seem to be very happy.
The osc dials not being as accurate and tight as one would assume being a surprising, and a bit concerning one.

That’s great to hear! It really seems like the ultimate analog sound design tool and the aesthetics and the form factor are also just perfect. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can control the synth with cc’s?

Only note data.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like a lot of Tim’s issues with it are solved with creative patching, more time spent with the device and perhaps better isolation from your speakers (for the reverb). The vernier dials feel great to me but yeah not sure if the numbers on them are super accurate. It is a synth that takes time to learn and wrap your head around the usefulness of AM modulations and different ways to feedback on the mixer matrix.

@Geneoart you can control note data, the joystick x y via midi cc, and you can have velocity effect the VCF position.

2 Likes

ignore that video entirely. you might as well grab a child off the street and have them review the synth. he didn’t understand it at all.

5 Likes

Yeah, to be fair though I dont think any video reviewers really spent enough time with it to really totally “get it” most of them seemed to make a standard routing synth patch and then maybe an on the run recreation. It really does feel like an infinite play box within a very finite tool set. You just need to break away from the usual notions of how a synth needs to be routed, which is naturally the first thing most people will do with it.

1 Like

I know he is quite critical in his estimation which I think is in many cases justified and in others I’m not so sure. His view of the Syntrx’s reverb for example differed from mine a lot since I would mostly be using the speakers and the reverb for feedback.
In general I like his videos.

1 Like

Should be noted using the ring mod with the feedback more or less gets you into tuned feedback territories (I think he complains about lack of tuned feedback)

1 Like

The Syntrx can be controlled by two MIDI CCs. No.:20/21 is default, but it can be changed by a kind of MIDI learn procedure.

The first CC is added to the X-movement of the joystick, the second to the Y-movement of the joystik.

1 Like

Got mine today. I’m shocked by how good this sounds and how fun and immersive it is. Haven’t had this kind of feeling with a synth in a long time. This sense of wonder and endless interesting tones to be explored but at the same time the matrix is making it work in a way that is completely new to me. What a magical box this is. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I actually think he completely got it, it’s just not for him. Almost all of his complaints were couched in terms of “if you are into that”, which suggests that he understood the noise context but doesn’t prefer it himself.

If anyone gets Syntrx, it’s Hainbach:

Edit: looks like most of these videos have been posted up thread, sorry for the duplication.

1 Like

he seemed to not understand the gain staging within the patching at all. which is huge, and essential to using the synth. and he didn’t even mention the word “Synthi.” he seemed to want it to be something entirely different, but didn’t get that the design brief was “let’s put our existing modules into a Synthi-like system, with a Synthi-like envelope, speakers, a spring reverb, and a digital/memory-backed matrix.” once you know that that’s what the machine is, judge it based upon whether or not they missed that mark. and not say nonsense things like “why didn’t they put a Matriarch style filter in here?” OK yeah… cuz they have one of those already and that would totally make it even more like a Synthi… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

What saved the interview for me is that even though he didn’t get why you would want the amplification stages set up the way they are, he did describe them reasonably well. I learned a few things from Tim’s “bad” review.

Like Stimming, Tim is fairly clear about his aesthetic preferences, so I use that knowledge to adjust my perspective on the review.

1 Like

a fair point. my takeaway from that was “you haven’t spent enough time with it.” I honestly think he spent more time making and editing the video than he had experience with the synth at that point. which isn’t fair to Erica, himself, or his audience. it’s not a synth that you just pick up and go “I know synths, this’ll be like them…” you have to kind of give yourself in to its peculiar ways and learn where it hides its sweet spots. I hear the Synthi is the same…

I’ll say this: they are both pretty direct and honest. I’m not a fan of either one any more but that’s another topic…

4 Likes

Hainbach is super highly rated and still manages to never be overrated… I like this demo from sound designer Suzuki Kentaro too

4 Likes

Blockquote
I honestly think he spent more time making and editing the video than he had experience with the synth

indeed.

1 Like

A day after Erica announced discontinuation of Syntrx production, I bought one. I’ve been low-key fascinated by the Synthi for 20+ years. I didn’t really understand the big deal at first. But after going deep with a series of subtractive synths, FM synths, romplers, Euro and now the Lyra-8, I think I really get it. I’m not looking for the Synthi sound I’m looking for the Synthi way, which Syntrx clearly delivers. I’m also in the middle of shifting from modular-as-in-Eurorack to modular-as-in-studio: boxes that can operate independently or interconnect, but don’t have to all live in the same rack. Hopefully when vacations are a thing again I’ll be able to bring subsets of my studio with me.

Despite all his negativity, I think Shoebridge’s “bad” review is the one that really sold me on Syntrx. Hainbach can make test equipment sound good, so while I love listening to his channel I have no illusion that I have his level of musical ability or persistence. I still can’t tell if Tim was being sarcastic or ironic, but I liked everything he didn’t like about Syntrx.

Question: do you just plug headphones in, or do you use some sort of limiter in front of the cans? I’m fairly sure the neighbors don’t want to listen in on the shrieks of the damned as I get to know my new Syntrx next week.

6 Likes

I totally get it. It’s the kind of instrument you hold on to for life. So one of a kind, so niche. It was smart of Erica to take it on, but destined to be short lived at the same time. And the value will only increase, so a good investment to pass on to next of kin, decades from now.

5 Likes