Elektron integration with Ableton Push 2

Starting this thread mostly for myself as a sort of reference to future use, as I haven’t seen too many other people into this, but also posting it here in case someone else is interested in trying it out.

The point is to be able to control the Elektron synths/samplers from Ableton Push 2 (will probably work fine with Push 1 as well).

I’m in the process of setting up External Instrument racks which maps the available MIDI CC numbers for the various Elektrons, which means you can sequence and automate your Elektrons directly from Push.

So this thread will contain various files and information needed to set it up and get it up and working.

Basic MIDI setup

• hook up your Elektron to your PC via the usb cable (I find using Overhub to be the most stable)
  • select the necessary MIDI IN-settings on your machine (receive MIDI over USB, receive program changes, receive notes, receive clock etc)
  • make sure you turn the Elektron MIDI device ON in Ableton Live
  • that’s pretty much it

Making Push/Live remember kits/patterns associated with Live-projects

In order to have Live/Push remember which kit/pattern you want to save with your Live-project, you need to enter this into the clips you’re using. I’d suggest creating a project template (I’ll create one and share later) where every instrument is laid out already, and where each track has a blank clip in the first row, which has “Pgm” under “Pgm Change” set to 1 (just for simplicity). Then, simply duplicate patterns will keep the clips tied to the kit/pattern you want to associate the Live-project with. Manipulating this, you can of course use several kits in a project. Note that you can’t change the “Pgm” value from Push, you need to do this from Live itself.

Also worth noting is that it seems like the Elektrons (at least Digitakt) doesn’t respond to either “Bank” or “Sub”, so if you define “Pgm” as 1, it will play pattern A1, if you write 8, it will play A8, if you write 17, it will play B1 (as there are only 16 patterns per letter/bank) etc.

Various notes to self
To map more than 8 macros to CC values in Live, do this:

• Add the 8 macros device (download link in bottom of this post)
  • Right click the device and click “group”
  • Rinse, repeat
  • Voila!

If you want to automate a parameter from Push on the A4, make sure you first turn the encoder on Push so that it corresponds to where the parameter currently is at on the A4, as this makes it the default value and where it will jump back to when there is no automation.

To add 8 Macros to every channel of a drum rack, simply drag and drop the 8 macros device onto the highlighted chain in the drum rack, and rinse repeat for every channel.

In order to get drum mutes for individual pads in a drum rack, you need to be a bit of an acrobat with Push 2. So to do this (with an external instrument), you need to press and hold select, hold the pad you want to mute, then press mute (in that order!). Not very ergonomic, but it works.

Elektron external instruments and drumrack devices

AnalogFour.adg (45.2 KB)
AnalogRytm.adg (314.9 KB)
Digitakt.adg (321.7 KB)
Digitone.adg (56.5 KB)
Monomachine.adg (35.5 KB)
Octatrack.adg (199.1 KB)

Ableton Live Project File - Elektron Push 2 Template

Ableton Live project file with instruments grouped together and loaded in session view.

• Analog Rytm drumrack
  • Digitakt drumrack
  • 6 x Monomachine external instrument racks
  • 4 x Analog Four external instrument racks
  • 4 x Digitone external instrument racks

Elektron Push 2 Template.als (1.6 MB)

Alternative Ableton Set with Octatrack also mapped, as well as a Program Change MIDI track, which will set the same pattern for all Elektrons (awesome for loading up sets). If you want to use this, make sure you set up the right MIDI channels for receiving program changes on your Elektrons, as well as make sure your MIDI devices are activated in Live (in this set, I’ve loaded a Iconnectivity MIO2).

DEFAULT-ELEKTRON-EURORACK-PGMCHANGE.als (1.5 MB)

8 MIDI CC’s Macros device for Max 4 Live

8 CCs.amxd (25.2 KB)

31 Likes

Analog Four instrument rack. One instance of an instrument rack for Analog Four. MIDI channel is set to 1, so this instrument rack will control track 1. Simply duplicate the track in Ableton Live (hold ctrl while dragging the track to an empty space), and select midi output track 2 to control track 2, 3 for track 3 etc.

Contains controls for most available MIDI CC parameters for 1 track on Analog Four.

AnalogFour.adg (45.2 KB)

6 Likes

Analog Rytm drum rack. Simply drop this into Live, and you’re good to go. Most available MIDI CC parameters mapped out per track (some trig parameters left out).

AnalogRytm.adg (466.7 KB)

3 Likes

Digitone external instrument rack - one instance of it. Set to MIDI channel 1. Simply duplicate the channel in Live and set channel to 2, 3 or 4 to control those tracks respectively.

Digitone.adg (56.5 KB)

3 Likes

Digitakt drum rack.

Digitakt.adg (321.7 KB)

5 Likes

Monomachine external instrument rack. I don’t have a MIDI interface at the moment, so I haven’t tried it out, but it should work. Make sure to set the MIDI connection right, as it’s not setup in this one.

Monomachine.adg (35.5 KB)

1 Like

get the RK-002 midi cable and plug into Digitakt… set up Ableton to send midi out to channel 1, setup the RK-002 per instructions, and use Push2 to play the Digitakt like a 8 voice polysynth!

3 Likes

await the digitakt one . thanks!!!

1 Like

You actually don’t need the cable for that. Can do it with a m4l-device

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the work you put into this and for sharing it. I’m transitioning my workflow to be based around Ableton and Push and will use this to integrate my A4 and Rytm. Hopefully this can be set up easily into a session view rack but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

1 Like

Digitakt out. Let me know if you try it and find anything not working. Haven’t tested it fully yet, but should be allright. :slight_smile:

@R7 yeah, should be easy to setup in session view. I just noticed you might need to create a blank MIDI track and drop the .adg file on that for it to load. Also, make sure you have your Elektron box connected by USB and turned on in Live, otherwise it will struggle to load the .adg file. :slight_smile:

Added a part in the first post about Live remembering patterns/kits associated with the project. Can be useful, I reckon. :slight_smile:

Monomachine also added, as well as an Ableton Live project file with all instruments loaded in.

I should also add I don’t plan on adding Octatrack or Machinedrum, as I don’t plan on sequencing the Octa from Push, and I don’t currently have a Machinedrum. :slight_smile: Both could easily be mapped using the information posted in the first post though. :slight_smile:

I uploaded a new version of the Project file in the first post just now, as something had been messed up with the MIDI mapping of the Analog Rytm, but the current version out should be working fine. :slight_smile:

Been playing with the Digitakt version, couple problems for me,
1 Push2 pads not triggering a sound from Digitakt - Midi is happening as ;ighting up, but nothing from Digitakt.
2 Do the Encoders work? As they dont seem to be mapped?

Sometimes I need to restart Digitakt or reload the plug in for it to trigger all channels, for whatever reason. All parameters are mapped, make sure to press the sub categories of parameters on push.

I can hear Digitakt when I press play on Push which pays pattern within Digitakt, and all midi activity lights showing active when Im using Push2, just no sound when using Push2 pads, and turning encoder does nothing on relevant Digitakt

Sounds weird, I’ll have a look tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Ok. just to confirm my Digitakt Midi settings are all on in Ableton, and using USB Midi in Digitakt settings too. Maybe Im missing something, but cant figure this out.

I did a very quick test just now, and it seems like the one I loaded in the default set doesn’t work properly, for whatever reason. Try this one, this one works here, all triggers and parameters. Thanks for the feedback, by the way. :slight_smile:

Digitakt.adg (321.7 KB)

1 Like

Will try that tomorrow evening :slight_smile: