So close yet so far... Please help me figure out a Push 2 → Digitakt control issue

I’ve gone down a rabbit hole trying to figure this out, and at least I’ve learned a lot in the process, but not enough to solve this conundrum.

I want the 8 assignable rotary encoders on the Push 2 to be mapped to the 8 Digitakt ecoders, page by page (TRG, SRC, FLTR, and so on)

I have a MIDI track with drum rack.
I have a MIDI track with the Digitakt AU.

On the drum rack:
8 Pads → 8 Tracks on the Digitakt
Each pad has a MIDI instrument rack.
Each drum pad outputs to an External Instrument module, which is set to the MIDI track with the DIgitakt AU in it, and with the corresponding Digitakt track’s channel.

All this works by the way.

In its simplest form I can simply map the 8 macros of 8 MIDI Instrument Racks named TRG, SRC, FLR and so on to the corresponding encoder on the Digitakt.

This works, but if I turn the ecoders on the Push 2, there is a lag of over a second for the digitakt to make the change.

I’ve tried other things, like placing within the MIDI Instrument rack a Max For Live encoder utility like:

I have super randomly had some success with this working, all devices (Live, Push 2, Digitakt, respond smoothly with one another, but this happens super randomly. You can’t map the macros to the 8CC tools without overriding its association with the CCs of the Digitakt, but sometimes, uber randomly, with no pattern it seems to work when it wants.

I’d really like to figure this out and then share this utility in the forum, think it’d be really cool to have that flexibility, i really hope someone can help.

Or please CC someone in the community who you think may know about this stuff, mega thanks!

I will cheekily mention @Airyck hereas I’ve seen he’s done some pretty cool Ableton -> Digitakt hacks on some posts :wave: :smiley:

It sounds like a MIDI loop issue to me.

Is it smooth when it finally catches up or is it glitchy?

Hi man. It’s very very laggy all the time.
What frustrates me is that i can’t reproduce the issue logically. I try various new builds and each time it works or it doesn’t. There’s no logic to isolate the problem.

Here is the project actually, the drum pattern is totally random by the way, just to get some output from the DT.

Maybe there is a MIDI concept I’m not understanding, it’d be amazing if you or someone could take a look at it.

If we can crack this I’d be keen to share the setup on the forum for any other Push 2 / Digitakt users.

Thanks!

This TIme Project.zip (2.5 MB)

Crazy idea but if it’s latency, what if I use both the usb midi OB and midi cables via my IO?
Separate the info so there’s less processing to do?

Maybe barking up the wrong tree and not even sure it will listen to the midi ports in OB mode. Just thinking out aloud.

Some controls over MIDI have a significant delay, like source and start point.
If I remember correctly, it’s over 200ms.
There’s nothing you can do to improve this and it has nothing to do with the MIDI protocol or transport method.

Other controls like filter frequency and pitch are pretty much instant.