Professional MIDI consultation request (Paid gig)

After several posts regarding creating a workable MIDI setup/relationship between Push 2 and Digitakt which have effectively been tumbleweed collectors, I’m now looking for someone to help me work this out as a paid consultation.

I’ve been trying and failing with this for several weeks. I run a business, have a kid and just can’t keep sinking my evenings into this.

Do any of you know who on this forum, or out there I could contact?

It’d either be in the form of a zoom call or two, with potential for a midi rig job should it be out of my scope. I suppose it could be negotiated on an hourly rate.

Whatever the outcome I’ll be sharing it here for everyone to make use of.

Thanks. I hope this works :slight_smile:
Marc

Would you mind sharing what you want to achieve exactly ?

Do you have problem with clock/sync, notes, pchange, ccs ?

Not interested in the paid consultation, just here to help if possible.

Just for my personnal info, do you have any sort of hardware or software midi monitor to help identify where problems could lay ?

I just browsed your previous posts and it seems some of them got replied by knowledgeable members of this forum. In the one which got no reply your last publication seems to imply that you found a way to achieve what you wanted, one way or another…( Not being sarcastic here, I just made a bit of search to see if I could find what your problem could be )

4 Likes

Curious as well if I can be of any help

2 Likes

Same here, Thx to Elektronauts habits !

1 Like

guessing OP is referring to this thread:

sounds like a fairly complicated request. and I don’t know Push 2 or the DT well enough to jump in. which may be a large part of why he’s not getting much help thus far: the two devices target different users to some extent, so maybe not so many people use both, and even fewer in the method he’s requesting.

1 Like

Hi all, and thanks. OK, I’m going to create the brief here later today, and then we can ascertain whether this requires a proper consult or can be worked out within this forum. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Do you want crosstalk between DT and Push ? I mean, is Push the controller or do you want each unit to “know” where the other is ? This is already a different way of handling things. and since elektron does not handle relative mode, you’ll have to script this…

But, first things first !

If I understand the problem correctly you main issue ( along inconsistent results ) is having a lag between encoder turn on PUSH and effect on DT is that right ?
I will break up the problem into smaller pieces to identify wher it lies.
As @Airyck mentionned and having messed with fairly complex midi setups, I would instantaneously think : midi loopback…It smells like it…

So, are you able, using what you have at your disposal, to make ableton ( with push disconnected ) to tweak your wanted cc flawlessly ?

1 Like

@KaOsphere, @chiasticon, @simonbradford, @qlamerand:
Thanks for the advice and help so far :slight_smile:

I really realise it’s a pretty complex work flow dream, and probably niche (although I’m really surprised more people wouldn’t want these machines to play nicely together), hence i’d be happy to pay someone for their time if it was a time consuming, but maybe it’s an easy fix (:crossed_fingers:)

Here’s the actual objectives:

• Fully Control the Digitakt via Push 2
  • Parameters on the Push 2 or DT reflect each other
  • Custom Control Layouts on Push 2 (Possibly using “prEditor” utility) so that the interface is readable
  • Push 2 encoders don’t overshoot and send illegal values to the Digitakt which cause errors.
  • Record parameter changes to Live via Push 2 or DT
  • Change pattern or bank via Push 2
  • Stretch goal: Track and Parameter Page changes on Push 2 or DT reflect each other
  • No lag :slight_smile:

Tonight I created this MindNode to explain where I’ve got to so far:

Digitakt + Push 2 Integration Project.pdf (54.1 KB)
Digitakt + Push 2 Integration Project.mindnode.zip (308.9 KB) (MindNode file, super cool app btw)

My feeling is that this is a midi loopback issue as @KaOsphere thinks, but I have to say I don’t understand the mechanics of it, it’s not even easy to search for in google as it just links to articles where this is desired, not a bug.

There is another way to do this potentially:

Adding 5 MIDI Effect racks into each drum rack chain, which each pertain to a Parameter Page (TRIG, SRC, etc) for the track, which is what @Daisuk did here → Elektron integration with Ableton Push 2 but which doesn’t use Overbridge funny enough (and it gets quite far). His template: Elektron Push 2 Template

Here are potential tools that I think could help:

To do:

• Upload Live Project with this setup
  • Test setup without Push 2 as @KaOsphere suggested

That was a mega post.
Thanks again to anyone who read this far :slight_smile:
Goodnight!

3 Likes

Ok. I’ve never been able to make crosstalk works as expected without processing midi signal. Even with electra one and summit which supports catchup values I had jitter and inconsistency.

I had good results with a bome box processing midi pipes.
The idea was to store cc value in a variable and each time a command is received on that specific cc make a difference between incoming and store value take absolute value of result. If >63 then variable = variable +1 and if <63 variable = variable -1.
I do not own the bome box anymore unfortunately.
Before having this automated I just used two variables, one for each controller and just called stored values with the press of a button aka cc dump before turning knobs.
Does that make sense ?:crazy_face::face_with_monocle::nerd_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m currently working on my own MIDI software.
I think I’m up for a new challenge.
I won’t charge for a consultation.

Send me a PM if you’re interrested.

3 Likes

Yes it does kinda :joy:
Already you are pointing me to a few approaches:

• I will now Google and research MIDI crosstalk, that’s a new term.
  • Variable storage makes sense, is the BomeBox a must or could you get away with just using their other software product MIDI Translator Pro?
  • CC dump also sounds interesting and would at least be a good proof-of-concept test to try

Thanks a lot!

Will do cheers!

Be carefull, English is not my mother language obviously, and I’m not sure crosstalk is a good word to describe what I meant…:sweat_smile:

Midi translator is the programming part interface of the bomebox, If I remember correctly you could use usb port as virtual midi without the box…

The base component I used for the patch I talked about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCvxPZawJyE

Amazing I’ll check this video out this evening thanks :slight_smile:

Be aware that Bome Midi Translator Pro has a severe limit on variables before you use it.

Looking at your flowchart I suspect you will hit that limit very fast.

Ah damn thanks for the heads up!