Drum n' Bass Battle #5 (Resurrection...also, Found Sounds) [SUBMISSIONS CLOSED]

I’m keeping everything nice and loose, so people can interpret the challenge as they see fit.

If you want to let us know how you are restricting yourself further, it may be cool to see! Like a side bet.

Plus, that would be dope to see if it sparks creativity with others!

1 Like

I learned a lot from recent events. Especially how much I enjoy Drum and Bass. Anything else that ISN’T specifically that, I just don’t have time for it.

It made me reevaluate everything.

And with my recent midterms, I actually decided to quit chasing making art, and to fully dedicate myself to music.

So I’m changing my degree path at Chicago City Colleges to Music Theory and Arranging.

6 Likes

Oh thank god…I can get back to actually creating some music again!
Thanks for kicking these off again @BLKrbbt…I need the deadlines.

2 Likes

Im here for you!

2 Likes

I want to start dropping some production ideas in these battle threads as I learn them in school. It will help me internalize them, plus putting them out there will help codify my process.

I found this template for arranging that I want to start following a bit more. It may not fit this situation, but it will definitely help go through the expansions I bought for Maschine (its 9 for $99 right now!)

5 Likes

cool I found some great tones on my OB X8, Virus and Rytm for this sort of thing.

1 Like

same here and finding new ways to enhance my DnB to perfection for various genres of electronic music both in software and hardware. I always find those to be the backbone of music that need to be setup first correctly.

1 Like

I just purchased my 9 for $99 tonight.

1 Like

I’m originally from Chicago myself. I grew up in Evanston.

1 Like

I’m in also.

2 Likes

Cool!

I’m glad you’re in.

I moved here like 6 years ago.

I like Evanston. Got some cool spots.

1 Like

What did you get? I got these.

Plus, how cool is the dub siren kit?

I got:

Expansion - Satin Looks
Expansion - Bumpin Flava
Expansion - Crate Cuts
Expansion - Certified Gold
Expansion - Aquarius Earth
Expansion - Global Shake
Expansion - Meteoric Rise
Expansion - Body Mechanik
Expansion - Liquid Energy

I also own Street Swarm, Prismatic Bliss, and Astral Flutter.

I was on the fence about certified gold. And between global shake, but I went with Caribbean Current. Crate cuts is dope.

A lot of my selection was trying to not get expansions that have a bunch of overlap. While high quality, some of the sounds are very same-y

Do you have any tracks that use an expansion?

I bought all of them but hardly get to use them because I’m chopping samples for battles.

1 Like

I got a few unfinished tracks using Maschine 2 and 3.

2 Likes

You are a music production student? That’s sound cool!

2 Likes

I will be next fall.

I’m in the middle of a semester learning Digital Media Design, and I am so done being an art student. I already earned an Associates in Fine Arts, and most my art professors have been hostile. I thing they got bitter from compromising to be teachers instead of just artists.

Their reasoning is that they want to make the experience like what it is in the real world, where it’s hyper competitive.

Meanwhile, I just want to have fun making art.

1 Like

Cheers, I don’t want to discourage anyone else. But here’s my approach to this challenge - I’ll be limiting myself to one sampler (Digitakt) and one synth. The only sounds I’ll be using in the sampler will be from the piece of found sound and I can augment that with any of the breaks that have been submitted for Hip-Hop Challenge 20 or one-shot drum hits.

Just need to get some boring real life stuff sorted over the next few days so I can focus on this and the hip-hop challenge.

1 Like

No this is great. If anyone want to add this restriction or something similar, just mention it whenever.

Also, if anyone is producing for both the hip hop and the DnB challenge, you can use whatever samples you want, even the Double 0 samples.

The found sounds is just a guideline, you don’t even need to follow the prompt.

It may not get the votes though, if people decide to judge based on the prompt, but it’s not really about the votes!

This challenge is meant to be interpreted and interacted as the person sees fit, with as little input from me as possible. I’ll add any track just so we can all listen, and more importantly, share how it was made after the reveal.

1 Like

Here is a little sum sum for the BiWeekly Extravanganza

Check it out if you get the chance!

1 Like