Drum machine for hard techno

I’m going to get a drum machine to pair with my octatrack. I’d like it to be versatile though I’ll mostly likely be using it for hard and industrial techno. I recently sold my machinedrum, digitakt and digitone so obviously I don’t want those recommendations. My current thoughts are the rytm or maybe the tr8s. Another option would be a cheaper tr8 and get an analog heat to distort/overdrive it. The goal is to make jams/tunes with these 2 boxes (no laptop required). Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

1 Like

I have no experience with the tr8s but i ll testify the AR meets the requirements. Between the analog engines, samples, multiple distortion stages and advanced sequencer, you should be able to find your thing. Love mine for similar purposes.

5 Likes

You can get an old jomox 888 / 999 / 09 for about £600
They kick serious techno

5 Likes

Do you want access to the classics? Get a TR-8.

Do you want access to the classics with the ability to add additional processing and effects? Get a TR-8s (pretty excellent compression/drive/distortion in there; no immediate need for a Heat).

Do you not care about the classics but want something flexible and Real Analogue™? Get a Rytm.

6 Likes

I had both a jomox 09 and TR909. Ditched both. Machinedrum and AR stayed :wink:

5 Likes

I have to say nothing has made me happier than the drums from the A4, but yeah not having a sequencer per drum voice makes it more of a challenge as a drum focused box. I guess mentally I often think of sampled drums for industrial techno. I think the tr8s probably should get the job done, although I would have said the same about the digitakt and machiendrum. Go for the tr8s if it is calling to you!

2 Likes

Tanzbar
AR
Jomox
TR8s

4 Likes

Maybe things will change, but my favorite drum machine is my A4mkii. In my eurorack, I also have a Jomox MB09, Cwejman BLD and Basilimus Iteritas Alter. Pretty well pleased

1 Like

If you haven’t made the things you sold work, might be helpful to know why they didn’t fit the bill? Because they’d all be decent recommendations…

From my own experience, I’ve recently picked up a Vermona DRM which I looove for the massive analogue vibe. But, I’m not sure what features it is that you’re really after that you didn’t find previously?

Im technoing with OT and TR8S. Love it. The TR8S is very underated.
I didnt get on with OT and AR. Too much menu diving. having faders and being able go mix dynamically in real time, without having to look at a screen is a special thing.

3 Likes

I made this one with my tr8s last week:

Can’t recommend it enough… love this box.

23 Likes

Yes! Is that distortion on the master or insert fx?

2 Likes

That was master. Master has more distortion types than inserts.

2 Likes

Tidy. I love distorion on the master. Man that drum machine is hot. Arrrrr!

I still havent loaded any of my own samples into it, I really should do that.

It’s a pleasure to play… feels like a real instrument… but you already know :wink:

I have lots of my own kicks in it.

3 Likes

Rytm of course

All the hard techno producers I know use it for drums pretty much exclusively

2 Likes

I have a TR8 and an analog heat. Had the TR8 about a year but only had the heat a couple of weeks.
As a combination I can get about as hard as it gets.

1 Like

erica synths techno system

7 Likes

RD808 sounds sick.

Not sure it that’s the right voicing for industrial techno or not though. The RD909 is on the way though too.

The most versatile voicing route is definitely Eurorack but that’s also the most expensive option. Still, if it saves you from selling dozens of drum machines in the long run it might actually save you money!

Ultimately for most people the answer is never found in only one piece of gear. That’s why we all have a bunch of machines.

4 Likes

Incredible, best tr8s jam I’ve ever heard. Is this all just the tr8s? Any external effects/processing? All stock sounds?