PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Im not gonna sell it just yet… i Will let it rest a bit though… i have another drummachine inbound which is a bit more flexible tonala flexible, connection wise pulsar cant be beat.

And the new drum machine incoming is??

Tempest and maybe an ER-1… please help me Im addicted to drum machines :laughing:

3 Likes

Get a Perkons too then. Did I help? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha nooo… that hasn’t tickled my fancy though… I haven’t heard a convincing demo.

1 Like

I’m in your club. I started this thread 2 years ago and I’m still looking for my drum machine. What I want doesn’t exist (a knob per function drum machine with an excellent sequencer and vast sound design potential).

Funnily enough, I plan to pair a drum machine with Octatrack as well for some possible upcoming gigs… I’m gonna have a read through through your post for some inspiration

2 Likes

I’m actually seriously considering purchasing a Pulsar-23 today, I have been offered a black one for £1250… Absolutely love the sound of this thing, though I’m not an industrial artist either. Had planned on pairing it with my Virus B and MPC Live for a scintillating marriage of sounds, though on its own the Pulsar is such a beast. That said, there’s also a Tempest for sale for £1,100 which is super tempting as my favourite electronic artist of all time (Skee Mask) uses his Tempest to great effect… Decisions decisions!

4 Likes

Ah man! Wish I had the cash. Get it, get it, get it!

Show us what else it can do. I’m sure it’s capable of all sorts of sounds. I’d love to use it for low end abuse / shave off all the top end noisy stuff. I bet it can make some lovely ambient, mellow stuff too. After all, it’s a modular system in and of itself and doesn’t necessarily have to be tied to drums.

Mate, at that price, you could sell the pulsar for a little profit if you didn’t like it.

3 Likes

I know that it’s pretty easy to get some industrial sounds from it but it doesn’t mean that it should be used only for it. I don’t make an industrial music either. It’s a modular synth that you can use for drone, percussion, some nonsense bleeps and bloops or as an fx processor…etc. But if you need something like a Tempest, then buy it. Don’t buy a Pulsar if you need a drum machine.

I’ve made a new patch today and recorded these sketches. I like this machine especially for this kind of stuff:
(just a pulsar as a sound source)
(there is a lyra sample as well)
(+ a field recording)

8 Likes

… I got it. :smiley:

My thoughts exactly! I want you to know that this comment is what tipped me over the edge in paying for the thing. Was just getting the credit card under control as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Absolutely, I’ve heard plenty of non-industrial sounds come out of it too. Personally I love that gritty character but I can see how a hip-hop head or a synthwave afficionado may be turned off by it. Also those recordings are gorgeous, so wet and organic sounding, thank you for sharing. :smiley:

5 Likes

I hope you remember me when you decide to sell it.

1 Like

I will, I promise. :wink:

2 Likes

Have fun!

1 Like

Awww yisss!

1 Like

That’s a good price! You should jump on it…

Edit: saw that you already did m! Congrats

1 Like

Just a quick follow up as the Pulsar nears its arrival!

If I routed the Bus B into the Pulsar, then am I right in thinking that in order to route a given channel into it I would just push the ‘Mute / Bus B’ button on the channel strip?
And if I wanted to use the same button as a regular mute button (as I have thus far) I would just need to hit the ‘Mute’ button on the (main) Bus B section of the mixer.

As you can see I haven’t done anything with, or got my head around the wonders of using a second Bus on a mixer up until now…living and growing :slight_smile:

For me, somehow the word ‘elemental’ keeps coming up as to what it is that draws me to the Pulsar, both in its sound and also the way it operates. Maybe that’s my inner euphemism for raw and industrial, but I don’t find this off-putting, more like something to be harnessed and tamed, or else to be set free into the wild (not dissimilar to the Lyra).

You should totally just record the outs while you fuck around with it for hours so we can chop it up into samples. Have fun man I’m envious!

2 Likes