Octa + Digitakt?

I play hard tekno old school and am thinking of having the OT as the first and only machine of my set-up…and learn. But also wondering of purchasing the Digitakt at the same time: what would be the added value of pairing the DK with the OT? The idea would be to use the DK as drum only when looping samples FX on top with the OT: does it make sense? 2 new machines at same time may be challenging! Thanks.

2 Likes

If you want to learn both I suggest try the DT first and then the OT. Because the DT is easier to learn. Then the OT is easier because of your knowledge of the DT.

But I would choose a Digitone over the DT to pair with your OT. Your OT can handle the drums and samples and DT gives you basically 4 synths in one.

In my opinion. The quality of the audio of the OT is a bit lacking compared to the DT. I have both. The DT is much cleaner while the OT is a bit more lofi. The FX on the OT are outdated and I don’t use them that many. I use a zoia or other FX box to route tegen signal of the OT and back into.

But still it can work all. But for just plain old techno a Digitakt and Digitone can bring you really far. Look at Dave Mech. Jumped on the OT train recently but first did al on the digi’s.

It is just my personal Take on this. :slight_smile:

…well…takt and ot are the centerpieces of my liverig…

the ot can do it all in sampling…in realtime…
but once freed from basic needs to provide, it can xtra shine…
so, once the takt is given the main takt 'n tempi, ot can do all the mangle and all the toppings it needs with way better logistic overview…

and if we’re talking four to the floor here, takts sidechain trick mocking summing compressor is a big win…spends a pretty convincing bump to any venue…

apart from that, it’s a good thing if ur not forced to dig out ot’s full potencial right away…
u can use the ot all alone, but if the basic groove and bassline are already happening on the takt it’s freedom full on with no headscratching at all…

It is actually a best of both worlds situation…

It seems overkill at first and while I agree that the DN is a better companion…

…OT and DT together makes a lot of sense for learning purposes.

Indeed if you are having headaches figuring out the OT, you can benefit from DT’s immediacy, have your OT receive its audio, either loop it, apply fx to DT via Thru machine, mangle it more with Neighbor machine, etc. etc.

Makes it fun to learn the OT as you wont be stuck anywhere.

Once you realize that you can do anything and more on the OT, flipping the DT for a Digitone makes sense unless you accidently stumbled into your dream setup :slight_smile:

I think this thread was pretty informative for your question…

Edit:
My opinion, which is just an opinion…But, in my experience, learning the OT is better if you focus on just the OT. It can take a bit of practice without distraction. Although the DT is very easy to learn, I had both at the same time for a bit and had a hard time concentrating on one or the other. But, I am sure that was just me.
As I learned the OT (I was one of the people that learned slow) the more I just wanted another OT…or maybe another drum machine, to sample and join the OT with. You can just use the OT as a simple mixer and midi sequencer, in a very simple way. I use it very simply now, but it took a long time to find how I wanted to use it, because there are so many options to explore (and practice). Now I just turn it on and it does exactly what I want. I wouldn’t get a DT because I can’t use one in the way I use the OT.
For hard techno, I might suggest a simple machine with zero learning curve…Maybe a model samples, and use a mixer and some effects to make feadback loops. Model Samples would be a good simple choice, so you can concentrate on practicing the OT.

1 Like

I second your suggestion of M:S paired with OT. DT sits in that middle area where OT largely surpasses it in so many areas, whereas M:S has the instant tweakability that OT will never have for doing things quickly. Getting away from having two samplers, though, having a small mono synth such as the Moog Minitaur or Novation MonoStation might be a better pairing for feeding OT or else just sequencing from it. OT midi arp is amazing!

2 Likes

I was thinking the DT might be a good companion drum machine to the OT also, mostly to use Overbridge for individual track recordings and later mixing/fine-tuning. That old thread revived my interest in the TR8s though – I’ve missed those sliders since my 707 died. The OT really does do it all though, even if you have to get a bit creative to make it work as an all in one.

1 Like

Your 707 died? As in the fairly recently made MC-707? Or do you mean a TR-707? Condolences either way! I recently thought about another drum machine to pair with my OT, but then the OT really can just sample anything out there (whether it’s gear demos, live recordings or whatever else), so then I thought I just need to put the work in when curating my drum (or whatever else) samples. Yesterday, I started out with some random jazz piano sample from YouTube and the result is some dusty hip hop groove that bears no relation to the original sample. Such is the beauty of OT :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oh right, I forget about the MC707, mine was a dusty old TR, ha.

3 Likes

Every time I think I want to sell my DT because I handle so much with my OT, they update the DT firmware, and it becomes more invaluable. The latest addition of the chance feature taken from the model series is, “true-for-me,” enough reason to have both.

Hi,
it is really good idea to have DT for drums and OT for the ‘‘rest’’…you are going to love it! go for it. i absolutely recomend.

As other have said it will be a good combo, I think especially having the option to have the OTs DJ kill eq on the digitakt could be super valuable… I use a mixer with a full kill EQ/+12db and it is really nice with the digitakt, makes it all that more preformable. Especially when you are twisting and tweaking ctrl all for crazy results live the dj eq really lets you quickly rein in the chaos. I would still probably start with one box though, learning these devices until they are second nature takes time no reason to try to do at once imo and your needs might change by the time your ready for a second box anyways.

1 Like

I got the DT and the OT and gotta say it resulted in me using the DT only for about a year and then the OT only for about a year and finally I am getting on with using both together from time to time. I think this is because, as @thoughtstarZ pointed out, the OT is far more complex in capability and interface. But the OT is the boss because of this complexity, and the better purchase, but the DT is so handy I am never parting ways with it.

Hard disagree. If there is a difference outside of the sample rate and mono vs stereo it is completely negligible. You might prefer the delay or reverb on the DT but the ability to have 2 insert fx per a track that you can p-lock completely outweighs that. The fx on the OT are great for what they are.

If you only get one box, I say jump right into the deep end with an OT.

It is a personal taste I guess.

And for making a choice? Consider how much time you have to explore and learn. If you have spare time go for the DT firstly you have heaps then the OT :slight_smile:

Indeed, I spend most of my musical time with the OT and feel like I have only explored a fraction of what it can do.