Drum machine for hard techno

I’m really enjoying the Tanzmaus for techno. It sounds close enough to a 909 for me but has enough differences where it doesn’t feel like a clone plus some nice features like parameter locks (sort of) and LFOs (although limited). The UI is a bit tricky but not as bad as people make out.

1 Like

Thank you.

• all drums TR-8S. Some of my own samples (kick…)
  • a synth line from Noise Engineering’s Basimilus (love these modules, incredible stuff)
  • a drone from Reaktor
  • mixing/arrangement in bitwig (basically I recorded a jam and then I removed some parts)
1 Like

So you basically produce your sound (i.e. the kick) in a DAW and then move the samples to the TR8s to jam with it?
That‘s totally fine. Just asking because the threadstarter asked for a drum machine to produce techno without a laptop.
Recommendations like TR8 or RYTM might be a bit misleading as for my understanding you won‘t get „that“ techno sound right out of the box. There will be quite some processing inquired and I assume that most of the techno tracks we like were heavily processed (most likely in a daw).

TR-8 or bare AR won’t get you there for sure, not with lots of external processing. TR-8S is another story though, as it comes preloaded with lots of samples, some of them heavily processed (and yes, pretty fat kicks), and also gives you enough processing power (insert fx + master fx + delay + reverb + spread + bitcrush + filter…). So yes, you can totally get that sound with no laptop, even with stock samples. (But of course since I had for years and extensive collection of samples, the first thing I did with the TR was to load some of them… this can be done “once and for all” and then you can jam away).

Sure, that’s why sample playback is so important… it’s like shortcuts for all this processing, because no existing drum machine will give you enough to reach this sound out of bare oscillators. Not even the Rytm.

4 Likes

The OP sold a Digitakt though… So perhaps working with samples isn’t the route they’re after?

I’ve seen plenty of touring hard techno producers using the Rytm

Without processing

The Rytm plays samples too yeh… and the sequencer and options far superior

1 Like

As an aside, I dont understand the term ‘hard techno’ . For me at least, if it aint hard, it aint Techno. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

A second octatrack

5 Likes

I love the tr8s. I like to use it’s faders and knobs while performing - but I use the ot to sequence it.
My actual “studio” is now:
Monomachine a/b and c/d into octatrack, octatrack out into tr8-s.

My second small doodle noodle setup is digitone and volca drums. The Drums is imho very very underrated. You can make so aggressive percussion with it, it needs therapy. Small, and can be sequenced from external - with single channel midi configuration you can finger drum it easily while pattern creation.

2 Likes

Why no one recommend Machinedrum yet? I think it’s perfect for this task, especially for such genre of music.

No kidding, give it a try…

7 Likes

He don’t want it anymore.

1 Like

Ahh ok, sorry then.
Though I still should admit it’ll fit very nicely there.

1 Like

I use the Volca Kick a LOT.
Also underrated.
That thing delivers every single time for me.
Also using Bass, Keys and FM.
With a little processing (sampled in Digitakt for instance), I get surprised every day with these.

3 Likes

I’m not here to bash the AR, I owned it and it’s a fine machine. But I know why I sold it.

3 Likes

Better yet… Noise Engineering Any System :wink:

4 Likes

“That sound” hasnt been defined precisely by OP. Maybe an audio sample of what he s after would help. Though still there will be as many valid opinions as posters here.

4 Likes

Hard to imagine the machinedrum, digitak and TR8 weren’t up to the task… I mean any drum machine that you can load your own samples to should fit the bill since its really down to what sounds you feed it. The 909 alone has been a staple of any sub-genre of techno you can think of. Maybe the problem isn’t the drum machine but how you process your drums. First thing that comes to mind is a nice stereo overdrive or distortion + a compressor/limiter. Maybe what you really need is an Analog Heat…

7 Likes

I sold the fm, and I think I will get loose of Kick too.
Fm is to complicated to program (I don’t want to dive and edit a dx7 machine on that box… And I don’t want to use external gear like ipad or computer for it too…). But you can save your sounds, that’s a big benefit.

On Kick I have the problem that I cannot save a preset on it. I love that and I need that, that’s why I love elektron boxes i guess.

Th equipment I sold was fine I just wanted a change and clear out. I have my octatrack now for samples etc.

Like I said, I want something versatile but I probably make more industrial style techno than anything else e.g.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Looks like it’s between AR and tr8s

2 Likes

Yep, as I thought, there is a LOT of post processing there, nothing you’re hearing is “out of the box”. Lots of distortion, eq and compression going on there.

3 Likes