Digitakt vs. Octatrack

I am torn. I had an OT for awhile and just thought it would take me a year to learn it and running live.
I see the digitakt has midi sequencing and sampling like th rhythm. I am intrigued. Should I wait for the DT or try the OT again? Thoughts?

2 Likes

How much value do you assign to the extra features of the OT?

2 Likes

At least wait for the full specification of the DT to be released.

9 Likes

You can get a secondhand OT for about 850 these days. Not much more than the digitakt and it has a LOT more functionality. I would go for the OT. Its actually a simple machine if you just want to do drum programming.

2 Likes

Octatrack without a doubt unless OB is crucial to you

1 Like

iā€™m keen for the Digitakt

am weighing up both options, the inevitable decision will be based on Ā£ $ ā‚¬ :wink:

Iā€™m also worried the OT will be discontinued eventually and donā€™t want to buy an expensive piece of gear that will be replaced or MKIIā€™d by next NAMM. The MDā€™s second hand price has really fallen since the DT announcement.

The OT came out in what, very late 2010 so is a shade over 6 years old. If the performance sampling thing is still part of Elektronā€™s wider road map then it probably is approaching time for a refresh in next 24 months. But, if all we did was postpone decisions for the next iteration weā€™d never buy anything!

In the UK, used OTā€™s are available for cĀ£150 more than a DT. OT is a firm winner for me. If the OT had conditional trigs itā€™d be a landslide! A fairer ā€œvsā€ would be DT vs MPC Live IMO.

1 Like

Iā€™m an OT owner, Iā€™ll take the digitakt for sure. My idea is to use the OT and the DT in this way:

Digitakt: percussive patterns
OT: loop player / long files / textures / synth loops

MPC Live is not for me, canā€™t really imagine to play a liveset clicking a touchscreen or doing weird multitouch combos with my fingers, it looks like a toy to me :slight_smile:

would be a killer setup :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In that battle the clear winner is MPC Live for me.

But then again I wouldnā€™t make any bones about the fact that I think with its currently-announced spec, the DT is a rip-off for Ā£600.

5 Likes

And theyā€™d have to announce something pretty spectacular for that to change. But to each their own, obviously.

Really? The DT has the far greater appearance of a ā€˜toyā€™ to my eyes. Not that I would class any piece of gear a ā€˜toyā€™. Well, maybe pocket operators. I do regard them as toys.

3 Likes

I donā€™t really see those 2 in same area. Like comparing a monosynth to a poly or something. DT seems more like a better (in some ways) electribe? Looks like itā€™ll be a fun box but Iā€™d prob grab a used OT instead if poss.

Digitakt is going to be kickass

i would love to reinvest in an Octatrack though. love those machines so very much.

although i would need to install an orange screen, as bright white, although for most people is cool, is somewhat too much for my sense of studio atmosphere.

i like the new screen of the Digitakt.

Anyway the OT is a legendary piece of kit, although i could understand why some people might gravitate towards the Digitakt.

one of the things that is so cool about the Teenage Engineering OP-1 is its sheer power within a referential toy format presentation

I think itā€™s how close they are in price, yet how far away in spec they are from each other that is inviting comparison

1 Like

Yeah from available spec it seems a steep price. Seems youā€™re basically paying most of that for the sequencer? In terms of the rest of it - effects types/memory/performance stuff etc(scenes/macros/song mode/one LFO), monophonic samples, monophonic tracks, only 8 tracks etc etc, it looks super bare bones. Which is fair enough if itā€™s their ā€˜entry levelā€™ box. But the price doesnā€™t fully balance with that idea. I spent most of my life thinking Ā£600 was a ton of money for an instrument, most of my friends were the sameā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, I mean the OP-1 has all sorts of uses. The Pocket Operators donā€™t, so far as I can make out. They make blip noises which might be fun, but with limited application. Thatā€™s why I think of them as toys. Korg Volcas might not be the highest quality, but I expect if all you had were three of them you could make a pretty decent variety of music.

1 Like