Digitakt or Octatrack MK2 (again)

Back to a year old question :slight_smile:
This has really been a tough decision for me. So, I really need your help.
Lets assume OT MK2’s price is 850$. Which one would you recommend, Digitakt or OT?
I am a techno guy. I’ll be using the gear mainly to program short samples – kicks, snares, claps, etc. And I’ll be using it at home, just to chill. OT is old, so many youtube vids on techno. But I’ve also seen Yan Cook playing techno on Digitakt.

Let me introduce you “where” I am and “where” I wanna go.

1. Learning curve doesn’t matter to me at all – I am pretty good at learning once I commit.

2. Secondly, timestretch feature and being able to play/input something live (through track in OT) via my phone into gear (which DT lacks) is a plus for me.

3. I am not gonna use MIDI tracks for long, not in the near future.

4. I want to use it as a standalone since this would be my first intro into hardware music making so I don’t have and don’t wanna invest on anything else yet.

5. I want to use it 70% of the time for techno and 30% for ambient otherworldly soundscapes. Tbh, I’ve also seen some good ambient and dub techno music made on DT.

6. To make the decision easier, I assume the OT costs little much than DT – 850$. But still I cannot decide :slight_smile: DT is mono (a drawback for me) but it’s known that it has a better soundcard, and sounds better. How much better is it by the way? Is it a real difference? If DT had timestrech and stereo sampling, I would probably ordered it by now. The Elektron folks really made our decision making tougher :slight_smile: One wants to ask why they wouldn’t upgrade the soundcard on OT MK2? Because then, I’d be ordering OT :slight_smile:

7. I’ve seen many people talking on youtube that DT and OT have their own way, they are different instruments, and one doesn’t replace the other. But Dataline said in one video that DT is a smaller brother of OT. So, I assume he would prefer OT over DT if the price were close.

Especially if anybody here used both, DT and OT, and plays techno, I would really love to hear your opinion on this.

Sorry for writing so long. I tried to explain myself as much as I could.

Thanks,
Sammy

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digitakt vs. Octatrack