Cirklon's a coming!

Ok I guess I totally don’t understand a program change message. I’m trying to get the Cirklon to send program change messages to the OT to correspond to scene changes on the Cirklon, that way all of my sequencing is controlled on one machine

A Program Change just sends a number (0 - 127), which on the OT corresponds to an Octatrack pattern. Because the OT has 256 patterns (A01 … P16) you will likely also need to send a Bank Change before the Program Change to select from the full range of OT patterns. smokyfrog posted more details earlier in the thread that you posted on in the Sequentix forum. You will need to set that up in the Cirklon instrument definition for the OT.

You will need to send the Program Change from the Cirklon on the MIDI channel number that you have assigned in the PROG CH RECEIVE and CHANNEL settings in the OT’s PROJECT > MIDI > SYNC menu.

Fellow Cirklon users that are also familiar with Elektron devices, I need your love your input! :slight_smile:

Really enjoyed my first few days with the Cirklon! Slowly working back through the manual with the machine now in front of me. So please excuse me if lots of this are covered in there, just taking me a while to soak it all in after so long using the Elektron machines.

Just wondering if there are Cirklon equivalents for some of the functions I use regularly on the Elektron machines.

Firstly - I often save tracks, patterns and kits within the Elektron boxes - I am then free to change various parameters, raise decays, close filters, add extra trigs, change pitch of sounds etc before then resetting the pattern/kit/track back to its saved state. Grown really reliant on this in a live context, especially because you can press ‘no+kit’ as a shortcut to quickly reload/reset the kit - is this possible within the Cirklon? I’d like to be able to change track values knowing that I can reload to the saved state.

Second: is it possible to p-lock track values? Or is it only possible to p-lock parameters assigned in the aux rows?

Third: i often copy tracks/track sounds on the elektrons across tracks. Is it possible to copy and paste a Cirklon track + all note/aux values + instrument data from one track to another?
Thank you :slight_smile:

@PeterHanes could you shed any light on this?

1 Like

I’m still waiting to receive mine later this year, can’t wait!

I was going to send you to the cirklon forum: forum.sequentix.com

But i logged in and saw you have already posted there… (and received a few responses too!)

Am reading - very useful stuff to know, you should share your experience with the community here :+1::v:

2 Likes

Apologies for not responding to your questions earlier; it’s a busy time. More than anything, your questions highlight that Cirklon and Elektron gear are very different things; like translating between two languages, there may be no exact equivalence between the two.

Because the Cirklon is a standalone sequencer, it cannot give the same integration between sequence data and sound engine parameters. The most the Cirklon knows about the instruments it controls is stored as Track Values in its Instrument Definitions. You can save individual (or sets of) Track Values using SAVE on the Track Values page (see page 9-7 of the manual), but the only quick way to get back to a set of stored values is to jump to a new Scene (kind of like changing Pattern on Elektron gear).

[quote=“dave_angel, post:1, topic:40033”]is it possible to p-lock track values? Or is it only possible to p-lock parameters assigned in the aux rows?
[/quote]

Aux rows are the only means for storing Track Values on individual steps in P3 patterns.

You can assign any pattern to more than one track, but if you edit the pattern it will be altered in all instances. You can copy steps from one pattern and paste them in another. You can save an existing pattern as another.

You can assign the same instrument to more than one track. See above for saving Track Values by Scene.

The bottom line is that you really need to learn the way of working for each unit: Cirklon and an Elektron sequencer do many of the same things but the underlying designs are very different.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @PeterHanes for taking the time to respond in such detail! Really is appreciated.

I often see you responding to people’s questions, and would like to thank you, on behalf of everyone for doing so, and helping make this community so great.

Hope you’ve had a good weekend!

And sorry for my delay - not had a chance to get back on here after a very busy week.

3 Likes

So, are people using the Cirklon sequencer and not the Elektron sequencer(s), or are we running a kind of hybrid system, with Elektron sequences on some parts (with P-locks) and Cirklon on others?

I’m supposed to be receiving one in Sep now… plan on experimenting with the BoB CV outs and modular. Depending on workflow, it may end up replacing the OT as the midi hub of my studio (I dont really use the sampling much).

Id be curious to hear from others. A close buddy of mine uses it to sequence all his synths and then multitrack records the midi to Ableton for final mixdown/editing. This is what I plan on doing too… would be curious to hear others experiences/setups.

In my mind, a Cirklon is supposed to be the brain of a setup…
I can imagine tweaking Elektron knobs while playing, then reload, but it must be so powerful to lead everything from one device…

That was my thought when I subscribed on the waiting list for a Cirklon that should arrive for my 40th birthday :smile:

3 Likes

Because you can either trigger the underlying sound (machine) or the complete p-locked/effected track externally, I tend to either compose all on the OT and then just sync it up to a master clock (Pyramid or Cirklon) or compose on the Ciklon, triggering various OT things. I know that’s kind of a slippery answer, but the reality is that sometimes 8 tracks of OT is sufficient for me and other times, I just want to inject a crazy sample or sequence from the OT.

The big thing I have to remember is the “plays free” setting. If that’s wrong for what you are trying to do it will seem like nothing is working properly.

It’s probably easier to answer that I almost never use the OT Arranger for anything and have yet to do any MIDI sequencing from the OT.

2 Likes

As an aside, I seem to remember Colin (Mr. Sequentix) was going to adda feature to get Cirklon sending program change messages early, so that it could trigger pattern change on machines like the Elektrons.

I seem to remember seeing it in the revision history or somewhere, but now can’t find it. Wonder if it’s been done…?

@Purusha it’s here in v1.13a :slight_smile:

added instrument “show note nums” and “presend pgm” options to inst edit and CKI JSON schema

3 Likes

Ah yeah - that’s the one. Thanks!

2 Likes

I keep dreaming about a cirklon with internal sampler & audio tracks. could u imagine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cirklon with Orthogonal Devices ER-301 is a winner:-)

2 Likes

January ‘17 here :sweat_smile:

Please let me know when you’re reached by Barbara !

1 Like

Can you explain how you use the two together?

Because you can name everything, on Cirklpn & same on the 301 , it makes life easy if you want to put a set together/archive ideas. For pure jamming fun I actually prefer the 101/102 combo especially with cv in, say Turing Machine to blend some random elements.

1 Like

Anyone using the 1.15 beta OS?
CV in is a total revelation. Using all the eurorack mod sources: random, chaos, function generators etc. to modulate synths without CV in is amazing.
Spent hours yesterday just listening to my P12 droning whilst feeding it CVs.

All of a sudden the intellijel planar 2 is looking very appealing.