Cirklon's a coming!

Nice! I will definitely try out your way, see if it works over here.

Just finished my first doodle on the Cirklon. MD + OT + Nord 2. Not exactly brilliantly mixed at all, think it even clips a bit a couple of times, but what the heck. Recorded with Audacity.

https://soundcloud.com/rone-sure/cirklon-first-attempt

My compositional skills aren’t great, which is partially why I got the Cirklon, to experiment more with compositions. :slight_smile: Man, this thing is fun to use!

1 Like

Woaa!! Congrats on the cirklon!!

I would love to get one someday! I saw a friend of mine using it and looked pretty awesome!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mate, this beast has your name written all over it! Would love to see/ hear what you’d come up with one. Save your pennies :slight_smile:

Goddamnit! Been completely zoned out for a couple of hours working on a new thing, but forgot to save the damn Machinedrum kit. Fuck, ass. Arrgh! Still though, jesus christ, this thing is immense! Just wish it had a button for “save everything including patches on remote gear”. :stuck_out_tongue: hehehe.

How’s your progress with it, wolf? :slight_smile:

^ argh been working & not been near it for a bit. Was messing with CK patterns last & looking into the advantages over P3. Obviously for kits it’s way better.

Also been thinking a lot about integration. I like having trigs on the Elektrons b’cos of the plocks but having them on the Cirklon offers a different experience.

I’m thinking of having say tracks 1-12 as standard on the MD then having 13-16 as Cirklon only. This way I can mix up poly rhythms & random stuff with general MD tweaking!

Same with the other machines.
On the OT I guess all trigs can come from the Cirk as you can apply trigless trigs on top.

Hoping to get back at it tonight or 2moro.
Keep you posted :slight_smile:

Just found Smokyfrogs blog! Here’s a link to the one about OT & Cirklon.
Interesting stuff, check out the accumulator one too!!! :slight_smile:

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://smokyfrog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/little-about-my-approach-to-live.html

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]Thanks SF

1 Like

Wow, that’s a funky way of approaching it, indeed! :slight_smile: I just created an instrument definition for Monomachine (based on the trinity midi chart you made), but haven’t been able to try it out myself yet (still haven’t received the sd-card reader I ordered a while back).

http://www.sequentix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=655

Sweet, ill take a look at that :slight_smile:

Guess you’ve seen this Daisuk?

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.sequentix.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_To

Got all 4 Elektrons hooked up now along with a few other pieces of kit.
Very much mixing a matching sequencer roles at the mo.
Anything that requires velocity changes or rapid bursts of notes is handled by the Cirk tho, it’s so much easier than p.locking steps & you can switch it on the fly especially with the gang functions.
Find I’m using ‘control all’ a lot more on the MD. Essentially locking multiple param on each step then using mute to effect changes. All stuff that’s been documented on EU, super fun!

Might get around to recording something one of theses days! Lol

1 Like

Damn, hadn’t seen you had replied to this thread! Yeah, I’m working out how to use the Cirklon with the Elektrons as well, thanks to your instructions on how to hook it up quickly with the Machinedrum, I have now hooked up my MPC to the Cirklon, so that it can trigger notes from the MD - which is really sweet for drumming in sequences! Love it. Having problems with the metronome though, so trying to sync the MPC to the Cirklon (do you think it’ll work through the Sync output?) to use the MPC metronome instead.

The sculpt function is bloody great! And with the Cirklon you can (at least I think so) use the aux sends to sort of p-lock or automate the performance macros on the Analog Four, which is pretty damn sweet. :slight_smile:

I’m struggling with integrating the OT though. Program changes are always sent once you change a scene, and then the OT will always have to run out its current pattern before the program change occurs, so it’s a bit useless at the moment, especially since it’s such a hassle to trig slices from MIDI notes. I tried your suggestion from the thread I started on here, but found it a bit too tedious for it to be a permanent solution.

Looking forward to hearing the music you’re making with it! :slight_smile:

Hey Daisuk
No the sync out is something entirely different. You should be able to hook up the MPC via midi!

Yeah the Sculpt & Auxes are awesome!!!

Re program change, I’ve opted to go into the Scene list, select a scene then hit enter. (Instead of using the Next function). As long as you get in early, i.e. on bar 1 of a 4 bar pattern it seams fine.

Yeah, but then you’ll need to have a long pattern playing. Hmm, that’s a decent workaround for now though, thanks! :slight_smile: I know I could always hook up the MPC via MIDI, but all the out ports are taken, hehe. I’ll probably figure out the metronome thing though.

Had a jam with a buddy today, he was completely sold on the Cirklon after about 10 minutes with it, and proceeded to order one straight away, haha. :smiley:

not to dig up an old thread but…bluewolfse7en, is there a max number of CC you can define on an instrument?

I’ve wanted a cirklon forever and I’m considering taking the leap but I have some instruments with a ton of CC and ideally I would like to be able to control whichever I want from the cirklon

I used to sequence a lot from my OT but I quickly ran out of tracks going that route so these days it is pretty much just a sampler/mangler…the cirklon would be the true center of everything if I picked one up because I do miss sequencing from a center point (and I’m completely OTB).

16 rows x 6 slots = 96 per instrument

1 Like

my bank account says get over yourself and use your already owned iPad to sequence instead of spending another huge chunk of money but the hardware side of me wants that cirklon!!!

Yeah as Peter says 96 are available to each of up to 64 Tracks.
These are freely playable live from the Track page so it makes a wicked hub if you have a lot of midi/ CV kit.
Only a chosen 4 are available as Auxes in P3 Pattern mode, (kind of like p.locks), though Colin has plans to add more.
If you’re into a lot of modulation, randomisation, accumulation & crazy stuff like one Track grabbing values from another Track then these are the bomb!
CK Patterns are completely different to P3, more like a Tracker style event list, pretty much anything can be programmed with these.
Clock & midi note timing are tight as knats chuff! Interesting read here
[http://innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Litmus%20Midi.html](http://innerclocksystems.com/New ICS Litmus Midi.html)
Toughest thing for a lot of people is integrating it with the Elektrons. Daisuk I’m pretty sure got rid of his for this reason.
Sequencing the Elektrons from it really makes them shine especially when inputting dynamic velocities on hats & ghost snares, so fast compared to p.locking. Being able to have different track lengths/divisions/directions on the MD is awesome too.
I found similar stuff with the MM but also felt you lost a little something with that machine, things like a Trig Tracks & the like.
One other thing to bare in mind is the Elektron queue pattern on receipt of Program Change issue. All your other gear changes instantly then the Elektrons drop in 4 bars later. Bit of a pain but then there are workarounds.
I guess you need to think about what you want to achieve really. Any questions fire away.
Cheers

1 Like

I guess I better do a little reading on the issue with elektron gear because I had planned on sequencing the a4 and ar with it, ot in the mix but not sequenced. I would hook up several moogs and a couple midi capable effect pedals as well. Probably even modular after I bought the add-on for that.

There’s no issue sequencing the Elektrons when they act as sound modules. Problem is when you run the sequencers side by side & change patterns (called scenes on the Cirklon).

It’s also worth bearing in mind that the Cirklon now has ‘remote control MIDI input’ where it can be made to change its scenes according to Program Change message, so its possible to use the OT to control the Cirklon.

Very flexible.

1 Like

Hey Peter
How are you getting on with this?
I find it works seamlessly but in order to have a Scene for all 128 Patterns on the Elektrons, I’d have to create 128 Scenes for every Song on the Cirklon!
You could send Prog ch via the OT midi seq but I’m sure that’s per Bank not per Pattern, hmm I’ll have to check, long time since I used the OT for midi!

Hey Peter
How are you getting on with this?
I find it works seamlessly but in order to have a Scene for all 128 Patterns on the Elektrons, I’d have to create 128 Scenes for every Song on the Cirklon!
You could send Prog ch via the OT midi seq but I’m sure that’s per Bank not per Pattern, hmm I’ll have to check, long time since I used the OT for midi![/quote]
It’s per Part rather than per Bank or per Pattern. The main point I was trying to make is that it’s not always necessary to designate one sequencer as the master for ALL situations. It’s also good fun to sync the tempo of two sequencers but not have them change scenes/patterns at the same time. OR run two sequencers independent of each other for added fun.
The takeaway is that both Cirklon and OT are super-flexible, even when orbiting around each other.

1 Like