Cirklon's a coming!

I’m supposed to be receiving one in Sep now… plan on experimenting with the BoB CV outs and modular. Depending on workflow, it may end up replacing the OT as the midi hub of my studio (I dont really use the sampling much).

Id be curious to hear from others. A close buddy of mine uses it to sequence all his synths and then multitrack records the midi to Ableton for final mixdown/editing. This is what I plan on doing too… would be curious to hear others experiences/setups.

In my mind, a Cirklon is supposed to be the brain of a setup…
I can imagine tweaking Elektron knobs while playing, then reload, but it must be so powerful to lead everything from one device…

That was my thought when I subscribed on the waiting list for a Cirklon that should arrive for my 40th birthday :smile:

3 Likes

Because you can either trigger the underlying sound (machine) or the complete p-locked/effected track externally, I tend to either compose all on the OT and then just sync it up to a master clock (Pyramid or Cirklon) or compose on the Ciklon, triggering various OT things. I know that’s kind of a slippery answer, but the reality is that sometimes 8 tracks of OT is sufficient for me and other times, I just want to inject a crazy sample or sequence from the OT.

The big thing I have to remember is the “plays free” setting. If that’s wrong for what you are trying to do it will seem like nothing is working properly.

It’s probably easier to answer that I almost never use the OT Arranger for anything and have yet to do any MIDI sequencing from the OT.

2 Likes

As an aside, I seem to remember Colin (Mr. Sequentix) was going to adda feature to get Cirklon sending program change messages early, so that it could trigger pattern change on machines like the Elektrons.

I seem to remember seeing it in the revision history or somewhere, but now can’t find it. Wonder if it’s been done…?

@Purusha it’s here in v1.13a :slight_smile:

added instrument “show note nums” and “presend pgm” options to inst edit and CKI JSON schema

3 Likes

Ah yeah - that’s the one. Thanks!

2 Likes

I keep dreaming about a cirklon with internal sampler & audio tracks. could u imagine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cirklon with Orthogonal Devices ER-301 is a winner:-)

2 Likes

January ‘17 here :sweat_smile:

Please let me know when you’re reached by Barbara !

1 Like

Can you explain how you use the two together?

Because you can name everything, on Cirklpn & same on the 301 , it makes life easy if you want to put a set together/archive ideas. For pure jamming fun I actually prefer the 101/102 combo especially with cv in, say Turing Machine to blend some random elements.

1 Like

Anyone using the 1.15 beta OS?
CV in is a total revelation. Using all the eurorack mod sources: random, chaos, function generators etc. to modulate synths without CV in is amazing.
Spent hours yesterday just listening to my P12 droning whilst feeding it CVs.

All of a sudden the intellijel planar 2 is looking very appealing.

That sounds fantastic!! (Edit: Am I blind? I can’t see anything about CV IN in the release notes. http://files.sequentix.com/cirkos-revision-history-from-v1.08.txt)

I think it’s in the later beta releases.

http://forum.sequentix.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2543

Depending on what OS you are coming from, it can be a bit fiddly (I had a few issues updating).
You basically need to back up all of your data to SD card, then wipe the internal memory.
I had to wipe the internal memory again after installing the new OS, but once done, I reloaded all my old data and it has been working smoothly since. As long as you have backed up your data, you can always go back to 1.11 (latest official release) if you need to.

It’s currently only the gate/input row numbers 5-8 on the CVIO that work as inputs, and its 0-5v but there are some division/multiplication options that allow you to scale the CV (or you could always put an attenuator in the signal path), but once set up, it works great. Colin has also added CV envelopes to the OS, but I haven’t had the chance to try that yet.

1 Like

King of them all !!

Can’t wait for the end of the day !!
:heart_eyes:

14 Likes

I envy you and I dread the day mine is ready and I‘m 1.5k lighter.

2 Likes

How long did you wait? 9 months?

I asked to be added on the waiting list at the very beginning of December 2016 !
I had planned it as a self-gift for my birthday (I turned 40 this month !) and put some money on my account every month.

Really, there is nothing like receiving a premium product after a year of waiting. You really feel like you deserved it.

I still have to take care of the kid tonight before I can plug it and discover I have no idea how to operate it. :scream:

The manual is top-notch as well, btw.

4 Likes

It really is.
Succinct, but covers everything.

1 Like