Cirklon's a coming!

So I’ll be the proud owner of a Cirklon on Monday, oh yes indeed :slight_smile:
Be more than interested to hear how other peeps are hooking up with Elektron gear.
Read the manual from cover to cover but any tips or tricks welcome.
Cheers

6 Likes

Sweet, congrats! I paid for my Cirklon a few days ago as well, and will have it “in the second part of July” - can’t wait! Please chime in with your first impressions when you’ve gotten the time to play with it! :slight_smile:

Oh, and check out this thread over at the Sequentix forum;
http://www.sequentix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=449

2 Likes

So the Cirklon arrived this morning, First impressions are very very good!!!
Only hooked it up to the Virus so far with a bit of MD for accompaniment & the OT sampling.
Damn the Pattern directions are awesome, super easy way to create wicked rhythms, just switch from Forward to Pendulem or Brownian, sample, mangle on the OT & repeat.
Right need more midi cables :slight_smile:

Daisuk, thanks for the link man, yeah you won’t be disappointed, great build quality, only scratched the surface so far & not settled on a definitive way of hooking up with rest of my gear. Figure I’ll get familiar with it then look at that.
Cheers

1 Like

Sweeeet! I’m planning on hooking up all my synths (and the OT) to it, define every instrument with as many CC’s as I can, and just use the Cirklon as a sort of hardware version of Ableton Live. I’m getting it on Wednesday apparently, can’t bloody wait!

Have you tried its equivalent of “p-locking” with it yet? Really curious to see how that works on the Cirklon.

^
Yeah I’m gonna hook up all my synths, just not sure quite how i’ll link it with the Elektron kit as yet. Probably clock with the Cirklon but use the OT for transport?

Not tred any plock, been working my way thru the manual.
The Gang & Slope functions are so simple but so powerful!
Layout 16 steps, Gang an interval of 3 steps, (hold 1 & 4), & you now have control of steps 1,4,7,10,13 & 16. All other steps remain unchanged as you tweak away!
Can’t believe Elektron haven’t implemented this kind of thing! Also, (as tiB mentions on EU), pattern direction, ‘Pendulum , Randon, Brownian & Either way’, would be awesome on the the A4 & Mnm!
2moro, you’re gonna be as happy as a pig in poop!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep us posted guys… I have been considering to buy one but want to hear user feedback as it is a high purchase item… Did you guys get the CV/gate module model?

^

I haven’t gone for the CV option at his point. Only CV device I have is an SP so it’s hardly worth it!

If/when I go modular then I’ll get the add on.

Spent some time with the Auxes earlier today, (I’m guessing that’s what Daisuk is referring to as plocks?), & yeah if you want Elektron type control over individual steps on your other midi gear then the Cirklon is the way to go!

Seriously, I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed with this machine

The auxes, yes! Sounds great! :slight_smile:

I’m so broke now because of the Cirklon that I have to opt out of a festival I was supposed to go to this weekend, so I’ll play with the machine instead (if I do in fact get it tomorrow, that is) and will for sure write some sort of review/first impressions kind of thing. :slight_smile:

^
Few short cuts to get you going mate.

CIRKLON
GANG - hold gang & press each at a time
REMOVE GANG - hold Delete & press Gang
GANG RHYTHM - hold Gang then press 1 & 4, (gives 1 4 7 10 13 16)
GANG ALL - hold Gang & press 2 adjacent steps

SLOPE hold encoder 1 turn encoder 16 (get rising ramp), you’ll see! Hold & turn both to seesaw.

SCALE - Hold LAST button then a step key

TIE - Hit Tie then select steps you want to run into each other

Adjust BAR length - Hold Last & turn Bar

Copy BAR - Select source bar. Hold COPY whilst pressing the step key for the destination bar.

Nice, man, thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Do you have an Octatrack? Have you by any chance tried to somehow trigger OT slices with the Cirklon?

^
I do have the OT which is the centre piece of my setup really. Well until now :slight_smile:
No not had chance to try triggering slices, not sure how you’d go about that, tho
triggering slots should be no problem.
Only had a few hours with the Cirklon but managed to hook up OT, MD,Mnm, A4, Virus Ti, Moog SP & TX81Z, all happily synced!
Unfortunately I’m back on the road but should be able to get ack in the studio next week.

Be interested to here your comments Daisuk, hope it arrives today!

Extended notes below, enjoy :slight_smile:

CIRKLON
GANG - hold gang & press each Step at a time
REMOVE GANG - hold Delete & press Gang
GANG RHYTHM - hold Gang then press 1 & 4, (gives 1 4 7 10 13 16)
GANG ALL - hold Gang & press 2 adjacent steps

SLOPE hold encoder 1 turn encoder 16 (get rising ramp), you’ll see! Hold & turn both to seesaw.

SCALE - Hold LAST button then a step key

TIE - Hit Tie then select steps you want to run into each other

Adjust BAR length - Hold Last & turn Bar

Copy BAR - Select source bar. Hold COPY whilst pressing the step key for the destination bar.

SCULPT - Shift Sculpt to enable, (Press Value/Enter to choose mode)

AUDITION - Hold encoder then press Step key below

AUX Config - Select an Aux, press & turn Row to choose CC

Additional AUX - whilst scrolling the above list, press & turn Row a 2nd time

I find it useful to think of
Cirklon Pattern = Elektron Single Track Pattern Info
Cirklon Scene = Elektron Pattern
(This is not strictly true as a Cirklon pattern is universally available to any Scene unlike Elektron where a Pattern is a composite of track info)

Cool, man, thanks! :slight_smile: I did receive it today! Been playing with it for a good few hours now, and it seems pretty damn cool! I’ve gotten it to work well with my Nord, Waldorf XT and the Juno, but I’m struggling more with the Elektrons. Have you figured out how to save program changes on the Elektrons? If I assign track value prgm and insert a value, it will just change pattern, instead of program or kit.

Also, I’m having some major issues getting the MachineDrum to work with Cirklon’s CK patterns (or even P3 patterns). I even ended up doing an empty reset on the MD to hopefully get it working, but it doesn’t seem to be receiving MIDI notes all that well. Even though I set Cirklon to trigger the MIDI-notes listed in the MIDI map on the MD, most of the time the MD doesn’t seem to pick up any MIDI-signal. I somehow got track 1 to work after assigning it to C1, but I’m having trouble assigning notes to any other tracks. The weird thing is, if I have the Cirklon play the CK pattern while I’m looking at the MIDI map in the MD, all of the notes of the tracks seems to be shuffling around, looks really weird, as if Cirklon makes the MD change which MIDI notes are assigned to which track, which would be terribly odd if it did.

I tried a CK pattern with my Nord, and that worked just fine, so it seems it’s on the MD’s end. I’ve tried pretty much every setting on the MD to get it working, but nothing, except for track 1 which suddenly came to life.

How did you hook up your MD, and are you having any trouble with that?

Edit; I’m going through all the notes sent from the Cirklon now to map the MD from there, which seems to be working allright. I guess I just thought it would work with the actual MIDI map inside the MD, but apparently the Cirklon sends note on to specific tracks on the MD.

Here are the notes I found, in case someone stumbles across the same problem as me. Some tracks didn’t respond to any notes, and some to two. At least this will work until I figure the MIDI-thing out.

01 BD - C1/C2
02 SD - F4
03 HT - A4
04 MT - F2/F3
05 LT - G3
06 CP - A3
07 RS - B3
08 CB - C4
09 CH - D3/D4
10 OH - E4
11 RC
12 CC - G4
13 M1
14 M2 - B4
15 M3 - C5
16 M4 - D5

^
Sweet, glad to hear yours has arrived.!!!
No not really had any promlems so far. Gonna be a couple of days before I get back to mine so I don’t really know the exact settings I used.

In the mean time you might find the Trinity chart on EU useful for setting up CC’s

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=showcat&catid=9

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]Cheers

1 Like

Wow, thanks heaps! That’s pretty damn awesome, can’t believe I haven’t seen that before. :slight_smile: Will experiment with those today, see how it goes.

Figured out the program changing, by the way. As it just changes patterns, you need to have at least one trig entered on the Elektron pattern to have a specific kit assigned to a specific pattern. So you can basically have one kit per pattern on the Machinedrum, and then just create tons of different patterns with each kit on the Cirklon, so the Cirklon basically upgrades the Elektrons to store more information for you, in a way. :wink:

Man, I’m loving this thing more and more. Just ordered a SD card and SD card reader for it, to be able to share instrument definitions and such. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if the Cirk handles sysex, but you can change kits directly with a sysex message.

Hey Daisuk
I take you’ve seen Accumulates Defs on the Cirklon forum.
Lots of goodies in there! :slight_smile:

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.sequentix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=186

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]How are you finding ‘playing the MD’ from the Cirklon as opposed to on the machine itself.
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]Other than expanded memory that is.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]Cheers

Yes, I’ve seen it! But from what I’ve gathered, I need an SD card and an SD card reader of sorts to get those into the Cirklon, right? So haven’t gotten around trying any of them yet. I have made quite a few instrument definitions myself though, plan on sharing them once I get the SD card. :slight_smile:

I’m still having MIDI-troubles with my MD, the MIDI-map in it just doesn’t seem to do any good at all, so I’m stuck using the 14 tracks I’ve been able to find. Not sure how mapping out the CC’s will work when it’s like this, but haven’t tried yet.

In general though, using the MD with the CK patterns in the Cirklon is great! Mainly due to the timebase settings, really makes the MD come alive! How do you like it?

So far I’ve just been slaving the OT to Cirklon’s clock and using program changes to change patterns, might actually be a pretty good solution overall, so you don’t have to muck about mapping out slices on the Cirklon. How do you use the OT with Cirklon?

In general, I’m quite interested in people’s workflow with this thing. What kind of tricks they use on it. I got it to have a hardware piece to be able to compose on, and got that but pleeenty more. Haven’t gotten around to really trying out accumulators and aux events yet, but will probably do today.

Also been thinking about a couple of things I’d like included in it. Minor things, but anyway. Like when you’re typing in letters, I think it would be easier if you could just scroll through the letters with say the row encoder and press it to choose letter. The way it is now is a bit slow. Would also be nice to have a kind of “pattern reset”-function (if it’s not buried in there already), to just blank a pattern out. And I’m not a fan of having the track values listed as they are now, in rows of 6. Would be easier with a kind of list, where you could just press the encoder first to make a change to its value.

Oh well, minor things. Overall, I’m flabbergasted by this thing. It’s pretty much everything I wanted, and then some. :smiley: Great, great piece of machinery!

Just been messing with the MD & Cirklon & find the easiest way to map is this.
Choose CK pattern.
Menu, select add/edit rows.
Layout whatever you want.
Now go to maps on the MD & delete all entries.
Highlight 01 - BD on MD
Send a trig from the Cirklon on the BD track & the MD automatically changes the setting for you. Hit enter to confirm selection.
Delete the BD trig on the Cirklon, select 02 - SD on the MD, send Sn trig from the Cirklon & so on.
Takes about 30 secs to map the whole thing :slight_smile:
(Note. If you don’t delete the previous trig the MD will move around following all trigs)

Incidentally if you do use Accumulates Def, MD -1 seams the most useful, but 12 - CC, (crash not controller), is missing!

If you go to add row & scroll to 13 - M1 you can insert it!

Still very early days for me too, but this thing is genius!
I agree about text input though, something like Elektrons pop up would be way faster, guess the Elektron way is in my bones now! Lol

Keep us up to date with your progress & anyone else with a Cirklon, plz chime in.

1 Like

Yeah thanks stinky beat, this is on my list to try, haven’t quite made it that far yet!
It’s got to be possible with the Cirklon, sure I’ve read about it somewhere!!
Cheers